Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im upgrading to stage 2 this weekend. The question i have is pretty specific.

All my mods are COBB (CAI,FMIC,Catback Etc) basically everything except the DP for now

Im going to be running a COBB OTS stg2 map for now. Eventually i will go stg 3 and go stratified but possibly not for a while, so i dont want to waste cash on a stg2 tune from stratified.

so heres the question. 1 Step colder plugs okay to run on COBB OTS stg2 MAP? Ive read most of the threads, couldnt find a specific answer.

heres where i ran into a problem ........"COBB OTS MAPS are for COBB parts with STOCK plugs" etc

then on other threads im getting "1 Step colder is insurance against detonation etc".

Im more for the car being healthy and reliable than i am about performance which is why i bought them (NGK iridium 1 step colder) however if installing the colder plugs is just going to cause fouling on a COBB OTS map than ill wait.

So i know the real answer here is "run the stock plugs for a few hundred/1 thousand mile pull em out and see how they look" but i wanted to get a consensus first.

one more thing, recommended gap on 1 step colder plugs?

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I would believe you'll be OK to go 1 step colder. I'm running a Stratified flash tune, and they told me to go 1 step colder. At the time my only mods were, Dryfilter/MBRP catback/RMM. I recently picked up a downpipe and FMIC, just haven't gotten around to putting them on yet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm running 1 step colder on a stage 1 ots tune and have no issues. It really woke the car up but that could have been the worn stock plugs holding it back.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm running 1 step colder on a stage 1 ots tune and have no issues. It really woke the car up but that could have been the worn stock plugs holding it back.

That makes me feel a little better. How many miles were on your stock plugs? have you pulled the cold plugs out to check them out by any chance? one more lol.....what gap did you use?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
That makes me feel a little better. How many miles were on your stock plugs? have you pulled the cold plugs out to check them out by any chance? one more lol.....what gap did you use?
Our cars are on the threshold of needing one step colder to begin with, even in stock form. So ultimately putting in one step colder will NOT hurt the car even if you have nothing done to it. Stratified and others recommend it for insurance and smoothness.

Gap recommendations are .025-.026 from Stratified, but below .028 is what you are aiming for.

Edit: Also, our cars are naturally hard on plugs, check them EVERY OTHER OIL CHANGE. They will come ungapped and cause issues. Just a quick check and a few taps put you back in range here and there.

Our man @Duece McCracken prepared this wonderful and info filled post for this exact purpose.
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/92689-spark-plugs-yes-read.html

·
Registered
38 Posts
So im upgrading to stage 2 this weekend. The question i have is pretty specific.

All my mods are COBB (CAI,FMIC,Catback Etc) basically everything except the DP for now

Im going to be running a COBB OTS stg2 map for now. Eventually i will go stg 3 and go stratified but possibly not for a while, so i dont want to waste cash on a stg2 tune from stratified.

so heres the question. 1 Step colder plugs okay to run on COBB OTS stg2 MAP? Ive read most of the threads, couldnt find a specific answer.

heres where i ran into a problem ........"COBB OTS MAPS are for COBB parts with STOCK plugs" etc

then on other threads im getting "1 Step colder is insurance against detonation etc".

Im more for the car being healthy and reliable than i am about performance which is why i bought them (NGK iridium 1 step colder) however if installing the colder plugs is just going to cause fouling on a COBB OTS map than ill wait.

So i know the real answer here is "run the stock plugs for a few hundred/1 thousand mile pull em out and see how they look" but i wanted to get a consensus first.

one more thing, recommended gap on 1 step colder plugs?
Use Denso ITV22 gapped .026. I have a Steeda FMIC, SCT X4 with Torries 93 tune, & an MBRP cat back exhaust. Gone is the slight miss. The car has never ran better. More power & slightly better mpg by 1-2 mpg.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Running NGK's since a little after being tuned by Torrie on 93. I recently pulled them because of a random misfire, plugs looked good except they had come ungapped. I regapped them to .028", no more misfire and it runs way smoother.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had 75k on the stock plugs. I've put 4k more since and have had no issues. I gapped them to .026 I think. I haven't pulled them since I installed them. I think in going to go with 1 step colder plugs for the wife's Ecoboost Flex and hope for the same improvement in performance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts