Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says 1 door does not respond to touch for locking or unlocking.
Driver's door. It just started after this year's recent snow. About 2 days now. After numerous attempts touching it might respond. Other doors work ok so that rules out the fob I guess. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Like the title says 1 door does not respond to touch for locking or unlocking.
Driver's door. It just started after this year's recent snow. About 2 days now. After numerous attempts touching it might respond. Other doors work ok so that rules out the fob I guess. Any suggestions?
This exact thing has suddenly started happening to me immediately after the latest snow. Now I get annoyed because I have to dig for my keys buried in my pocket half the time lol. I tried wiping it off to no avail, and it worked fine previously in snows from years past... :doh:

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I've had the same issue the last couple days...
It's odd I haven't seen this before on the forum...wonder why this coincidentally just surfaced for a few of us? Ugh. One of my favorite features of the car, hope it goes away.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's odd I haven't seen this before on the forum...wonder why this coincidentally just surfaced for a few of us? Ugh. One of my favorite features of the car, hope it goes away.
One thing in common with the three of us so far is cold weather and snow, so I'd guess that has something to do with it. It was a little bit warmer this morning and it worked for me :confused:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Pop the door panel and reseat the plug going to the handle. My passenger door was dead due to corrosion on the plug connection. Little dielectric grease and reseat it and it's 100% now.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Pop the door panel and reseat the plug going to the handle. My passenger door was dead due to corrosion on the plug connection. Little dielectric grease and reseat it and it's 100% now.
I just had the dielectric grease out over the weekend looks like I'm gonna have to go find it in my mess in the basement and solve this stupid pet peeve. Thanks man!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just want to chime in as a +1 here.

After the recent snow I'm getting intermittent function. The water might be grounding out the touch or making it unrecognizable. I know if you get your phone screen wet it won't work either. This did happen last winter too though. I'm sure it's fine.... and you know if you take it to the dealer you might have the touch function work again but something else won't :p

·
Registered
917 Posts
I should probably take the time to do this as well. My passenger door one has been dead for over a year at least, but being that side it doesn't affect me so NFG:yawn:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm not an expert on the door handles but in my experience with them and not working all the time, i noticed it seems to work off heat. It might sound silly but try licking your finger and then try it. It always worked for me.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The capacitive design depends on WATER in your skin and in the air.
With Winter, both your skin and the air are dryer.

It is also true the connectors get wonky.. but if it is suddenly worse after a snow...
That is the moisture content.. and not something new with the deice.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
The capacitive design depends on WATER in your skin and in the air.
With Winter, both your skin and the air are dryer.

It is also true the connectors get wonky.. but if it is suddenly worse after a snow...
That is the moisture content.. and not something new with the deice.
It's moisture activated? Interesting that I've never looked into this and had assumed it's much more simple that it apparently is. Could you source this? I'm curious now lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's moisture activated? Interesting that I've never looked into this and had assumed it's much more simple that it apparently is. Could you source this? I'm curious now lol
It's capacitive, meaning the sensor is looking for any change in electrical capacitance in the system. The moisture on/in your skin is conductive and provides that change.

Frankly I doubt that the change in humidity is what is causing this issue, at least with regard to the capacitive sensor. My drivers side door just stopped working today while the passenger side works like new - obviously there can't be that significant of an ambient humidity difference between the two sides. Until today the keyless system has worked flawlessly in any season or weather, even when I'm wearing gloves. I'm leaning toward a bad electrical connection, but since I'm due for an oil change anyway I'll just let Ford figure this one out.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Add another one to the list, mine was doing the same thing after the last snow.

Mine was very easy to fix though, and was just simply from snow/water being on the front AND back of the handle. I wiped them off dry and they started working.

Makes sense if they are capacitive sensors, it's just like a smart phone screen which use capactive sensors. It's just looking for something that will conduct electricity whether that be a finger, water, oil, or metal. And just like a phone screen if they are wet they don't work too well. Luckily a car handle doesn't need to be nearly as accurate as a phone screen so it's a lot more immune to a little bit of water. But it will still glitch. <----my personal speculation but makes sense haha

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine was very easy to fix though, and was just simply from snow/water being on the front AND back of the handle. I wiped them off dry and they started working.
If the handle being wet was the root cause, how does the system function when it's raining? My car exterior was bone dry today when the problems started.

Between the info people are posting here and the TSB linked by Loki C346, it sounds like moisture is the issue but internal moisture rather than external. It probably has to build up to a point where it starts throwing off the sensor reading. The system is likely calibrated to account for water capacitance from a wet exterior, but having a wet interior as well probably pushes the reading too far out of range. If this is the case, drying the exterior might bring the reading back under the failure threshold in some situations. Fords' fix of coating the handle interior with Sonax isn't terribly confidence-inspiring, as permanent fixes rarely come in cans...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Well most of our cars were built after 2013 so that particular TSB doesn't affect us unless it got updated. Its probably for sure the same problem, but we can't yell at ford unless they update the TSB lol or if you're within warranty. I'll stick to what a previous person said and just pull it open and clean some stuff and see if that helps. Just crazy this happened to all of us at once

1 - 20 of 43 Posts