Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is stage 3 full bolt ons. 2017 with 4800 miles.

COBB RMM
Green filter
AP V3 tuned to Stage 3 93 octane
Depo racing 3 inch downpipe
Roush 3 inch catback
CPE 28 x 8.25 x 5.5 intercooler
Front bumper is off from intercooler install. Will be putting it back on tomorrow. Only reason I list this is because is makes the car lose a TON of aerodynamics. I actually believe it could be slowing me down a couple milliseconds. Also, I have one step colder plugs in the mail, so they’re not in the car yet :(

72 degrees
~90 degree charge air temp
80% humidity
5 feet above sea level
Running stock Eagle F1s with half tread life remaining
Driver 160 pounds
Passenger 160 pounds
Subs 70 pounds
Spare tire removed

Times were all recorded using the accessport so I’m not sure how accurate they are, but I hope they’re inaccurate... because if they’re dead on, then I’m so so so underwhelmed by stage 3. Next thing on my list is an e30 pro tune.

I tried traction control on & off.
I tried dumping the clutch at 2000, 2500, and 2750
I tried shifting at 5500, 6000, and redline on mixes of different gears... for example: I shifted at 5500 first to second and second to third but then ran third all the way to 6500, and vise versa. Ran low gears to redline and short shifted third to fourth but the results were always very similar.

I did 11 runs and then got nervous and dipped out. I was going to upload the pictures but I’ll just give you the highlights in writing.

Best 60ft: 2.593 TC off 2500 launch
Worst 60ft: 2.703 TC off 2000 launch

Best 0-60: 6.281 TC off 2500 launch
Worst 0-60: 6.598 TC off 2000 launch

Best 1/4 mile: 14.702 @ 98.6 TC off—normal clutch release with quick acceleration... didn’t dump clutch.
Worst 1/4 mile: 14.861 @ 98.7 TC off 2000 dump

2500 launch with TC off seems to be the best method for quick acceleration, but was slightly beat by the normal clutch release method in the 1/4 mile. 2500 launch got a 1/4 mile of 14.716, however, so virtually the same score between the 2.

Having TC on with a 2500 launch wasn’t far behind, with times of 2.612 (best was 2.593), 6.314 (best was 6.281), and 14.744 (best being 14.702). Traction control on really didn’t kill the times.

The most impactful change was definitely the launch RPM.

Disappointed with the times. Going to do some more runs tomorrow and try to do better but I really don’t know how to run any faster. Is the accessport accurate?

·
Registered
463 Posts
What part of the country are you in? Elevation could have a huge effect on performance.

These numbers are saying you're 3mph faster and damn near identical 1/4 mile times to my '14 bone stock actual track times.

With just intercooler, charge pipes, and a basic Unleashed 93 tune, I went [email protected](track prep was godawful)

Lets hope the AccessPort is not accurate. Get to the track, get to the dyno, find out how it's really doing. MPH is the true story of power being made. Faster times are driver and traction elements.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Damn your AP is not accurate I'm sure. I ran a 14 flat with a 2.2 60' when I just had a drop in filter and an sct X4 ots 93 stage 1 tune. 2k launch control on extremel contact dsw tires. I'm about to be full stage 3 as soon as depo sends my DP. And I'm now e30 so I'm hoping for. Much better time.

·
Super Moderator
9,491 Posts
Get rid of the passenger and subs and pick up .2 for free.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What part of the country are you in? Elevation could have a huge effect on performance.

These numbers are saying you're 3mph faster and damn near identical 1/4 mile times to my '14 bone stock actual track times.

With just intercooler, charge pipes, and a basic Unleashed 93 tune, I went [email protected](track prep was godawful)

Lets hope the AccessPort is not accurate. Get to the track, get to the dyno, find out how it's really doing. MPH is the true story of power being made. Faster times are driver and traction elements.
5 feet above sea level. Live in SWFlorida and the road that I was doing the pulls on is like a fishing road that leads right to the coast lol. So I’m legit right on the ocean.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Passenger and subs add weight and that affects you more than you realize, stock F1s are garbage for launching, AP3 might not be perfectly accurate for sure, and if those 60' times are even remotely accurate then your launch could use a little work. Even on the bad F1s I pulled a 2.23 according to my accessport. That was without subs and a passenger, but I did have the spare in. Roughly 60 degree day that day. Each .1 in the 60' is like .3 in the 1/4 so you need to get that number down and you're basically in the 13s right away. Better tires on lower PSI and you can start shaving off the 13's

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Passenger and subs add weight and that affects you more than you realize, stock F1s are garbage for launching, AP3 might not be perfectly accurate for sure, and if those 60' times are even remotely accurate then your launch could use a little work. Even on the bad F1s I pulled a 2.23 according to my accessport. That was without subs and a passenger, but I did have the spare in. Roughly 60 degree day that day. Each .1 in the 60' is like .3 in the 1/4 so you need to get that number down and you're basically in the 13s right away. Better tires on lower PSI and you can start shaving off the 13's
Tonight I’m going to do a few more runs with my bumper back on and with no subs and no passenger in the car.

I launched in so many different ways last night. To me it looks like dumping the clutch at 2500 is the best way though. How do you do it?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Tonight I’m going to do a few more runs with my bumper back on and with no subs and no passenger in the car.

I launched in so many different ways last night. To me it looks like dumping the clutch at 2500 is the best way though. How do you do it?
No matter what, properly slipping the clutch is the best way vs dumping. That said, before I had Stratified TC (Cobb TC only it's automatically set to the optimal setting...highly recommended), I would use my 2350rpm launch control setting and slip the clutch for the first half then essentially dump the 2nd half since by then I'm at 4.5k and just starting to hook up a little in 1st. Then in 2nd you just have to realize you can NOT plant your foot. Light footing is everything in 2nd gear and in 1st your clutch work can help fight it so I have my foot for the most part planted. I'm in 1st for like half a second though so lol

Now with Pilot Super Sport tires and Stratified TC I can launch at like 2500 and let the clutch out pretty quick (not quite a dump but almost) and pull 2.2s at like 26psi in the tires. Never ran the 1/4 in it though officially to tell you what I would have equated it to. On the F1s I could never have launched at 2500 especially not dumping it. I imagine that's spin city.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Stop wasting your time with this and just take it to a track(Depending where you are, they are open or will open in a month).

Will have better results there and easier to get seat time and work on launches and shifts.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Car is stage 3 full bolt ons. 2017 with 4800 miles.

COBB RMM
Green filter
AP V3 tuned to Stage 3 93 octane
Depo racing 3 inch downpipe
Roush 3 inch catback
CPE 28 x 8.25 x 5.5 intercooler
Front bumper is off from intercooler install. Will be putting it back on tomorrow. Only reason I list this is because is makes the car lose a TON of aerodynamics. I actually believe it could be slowing me down a couple milliseconds. Also, I have one step colder plugs in the mail, so they’re not in the car yet :(

72 degrees
~90 degree charge air temp
80% humidity
5 feet above sea level
Running stock Eagle F1s with half tread life remaining
Driver 160 pounds
Passenger 160 pounds
Subs 70 pounds
Spare tire removed

Times were all recorded using the accessport so I’m not sure how accurate they are, but I hope they’re inaccurate... because if they’re dead on, then I’m so so so underwhelmed by stage 3. Next thing on my list is an e30 pro tune.

I tried traction control on & off.
I tried dumping the clutch at 2000, 2500, and 2750
I tried shifting at 5500, 6000, and redline on mixes of different gears... for example: I shifted at 5500 first to second and second to third but then ran third all the way to 6500, and vise versa. Ran low gears to redline and short shifted third to fourth but the results were always very similar.

I did 11 runs and then got nervous and dipped out. I was going to upload the pictures but I’ll just give you the highlights in writing.

Best 60ft: 2.593 TC off 2500 launch
Worst 60ft: 2.703 TC off 2000 launch

Best 0-60: 6.281 TC off 2500 launch
Worst 0-60: 6.598 TC off 2000 launch

Best 1/4 mile: 14.702 @ 98.6 TC off—normal clutch release with quick acceleration... didn’t dump clutch.
Worst 1/4 mile: 14.861 @ 98.7 TC off 2000 dump

2500 launch with TC off seems to be the best method for quick acceleration, but was slightly beat by the normal clutch release method in the 1/4 mile. 2500 launch got a 1/4 mile of 14.716, however, so virtually the same score between the 2.

Having TC on with a 2500 launch wasn’t far behind, with times of 2.612 (best was 2.593), 6.314 (best was 6.281), and 14.744 (best being 14.702). Traction control on really didn’t kill the times.

The most impactful change was definitely the launch RPM.

Disappointed with the times. Going to do some more runs tomorrow and try to do better but I really don’t know how to run any faster. Is the accessport accurate?
Accessport is not accurate for 1/4 mile times at all and how much time did you let the ST rest between 11 passes. 11 passes seems very high. At that point your time will slowly start to get higher and higher. Idk if your local strip is open this time around but if they are just go there and save the hassle. Get some drag radials or slicks and take the back seats out and you should be fine.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Gotta go to the track. Having a track that is prepped will make a big difference in your 60' time, which will make a huge difference in your overall time. Also get rid of all the extra weight. If you're comparing your times to most others on a forum or in any magazine, it will be at a prepped track and as little extra added weight as possible. You'll probably loose a half second at the track.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you go to the track and repeat those same times, then driver mod is definitely needed. There is a guy in the Norcal ST/RS group that got into the 13's with a Cobb OTS stage 1 tune, coilovers, RPF1s wrapped in Hankook Evo 2s, and he took out the spare tire, tools, foam, and the other stuff out of the hatch. He ran a 13.9 I believe.

These cars aren't drag racers by any means, but if you learn launch a FWD car right, you'll be able to drop the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The road conditions could also affect your traction during launch. Since you're in SFL perhaps if you're not too far from US27 there's a portion that just been repaved between county line and pines, could try there.

·
Registered
100 Posts

[u
If you go to the track and repeat those same times, then driver mod is definitely needed. There is a guy in the Norcal ST/RS group that got into the 13's with a Cobb OTS stage 1 tune, coilovers, RPF1s wrapped in Hankook Evo 2s, and he took out the spare tire, tools, foam, and the other stuff out of the hatch. He ran a 13.9 I believe.

These cars aren't drag racers by any means, but if you learn launch a FWD car right, you'll be able to drop the time.
You obviously do not read full posts. He said 5 ft above sea level. And 70^ is good air. Humidity at 70F will not affect it hardly at all. But yes, high 14’s is generally in the range of a stock ST. And as for your car, charge pipes do not add power and neither does the Intercooler. Intercoolers just keep the stock power there when she warms up after spirited runs in warm air or cold air. Keeps heat soak at bay, A basic unleashed 93 octane tune and IC upgrade are not going to put a ST over 100 mph in the 1/4 unless your at unreal ATCO in winter with DA 2500-3000 ft below sea level. The stock ST runs 95 mph. To hit 103 trap speed and drop nearly 1 full sec off your time you’d need an additional 70-75 hp...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have had many turbo 4’s and my little fun cars and the ST needs lots of mods and bigger turbo to clear the 13.5 sec barrier. My quickest stock turbo little domestic car
was a 2010 Cobalt SS. Stock the car ran [email protected] mph. Withna tune, dp and IC it got to 355 hp crank/315 whp and ran [email protected] And with full exhaust/E54 and pushing the tiny k04 twinscroll to 25 psi, 370 crank/330 whp, we saw [email protected] mph on very sticky not made anymore tires, BFG KD’s, stood for killer dry. They were for straight line grip. Last made in 2012. Not much compares today except the M&H Racemaster with similar tread design too. I was surprised Ford didn’t put a Ko4 in the ST. It would have been a nice 280-290 hp car stock, like MS3.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I have had many turbo 4’s and my little fun cars and the ST needs lots of mods and bigger turbo to clear the 13.5 sec barrier. My quickest stock turbo little domestic car
was a 2010 Cobalt SS. Stock the car ran [email protected] mph. Withna tune, dp and IC it got to 355 hp crank/315 whp and ran [email protected] And with full exhaust/E54 and pushing the tiny k04 twinscroll to 25 psi, 370 crank/330 whp, we saw [email protected] mph on very sticky not made anymore tires, BFG KD’s, stood for killer dry. They were for straight line grip. Last made in 2012. Not much compares today except the M&H Racemaster with similar tread design too. I was surprised Ford didn’t put a Ko4 in the ST. It would have been a nice 280-290 hp car stock, like MS3.
Just reminding you that you replied to a thread that was last active in 2018, so if you don't get a response that might be why. :)

·
Administrator
11,803 Posts
Just reminding you that you replied to a thread that was last active in 2018, so if you don't get a response that might be why. :)
He was digging a lot last night, I'd be surprised if his arms weren't sore today.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts