Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
★ LIMITED TIME SALE! BREEDT INTAKE MANIFOLD SPACERS $135 with FREE SHIPPING!!!!★

Intake Runner Plate​

Description
This product is for a 2013 Ford Focus St and designed for after market application. All bolts, washers and gaskets are provided.

Available in clear, gold, and black, purple and blue anodizing.

Why do I want this? Here is a post from Craig @ Breedt on the subject:

"Ford did a horrible job of transitioning from intake to head with a flat wall for air to hit causing flow reduction and turbulence. Our plate is a bolt on part to eliminate the wall and increase air flow. Bolts on in 30 minutes and makes power you can feel. More with a custom tune. I gained 24 hp and 56 ftlbs of torque on my personal ST. Besides a tune this is one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do to your car."

Install:
http://www.breedtproductdesign.com/assets/(2)-intake-runner-instruction.pdf

·
Registered
292 Posts
I got the last one in blue in stock!! : P

·
Registered
524 Posts
I love mine...

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Why do I want this? Here is a post from Craig @ Breedt on the subject:

"Ford did a horrible job of transitioning from intake to head with a flat wall for air to hit causing flow reduction and turbulence. Our plate is a bolt on part to eliminate the wall and increase air flow. Bolts on in 30 minutes and makes power you can feel. More with a custom tune. I gained 24 hp and 56 ftlbs of torque on my personal ST. Besides a tune this is one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do to your car."
Is that gain from his untuned stock ST vs his tuned ST with spacer? To elaborate a bit, did he dyno his stock untuned ST and then fit it with the spacer and get it tuned and dynoed?

What I'm getting at is that there is a bit of power to be unlocked with a tune. Is he literally saying he gained 24hp and 56ftlbs of torque just from the spacer, or is he also including the gains that a typical tune would gain even without the spacer? To do a fair/accurate comparison you'd first need your ST tuned fully to its maximum potential, then fit the spacer in and try tuning to its maximum potential again.

Hope my question makes sense. Also, are those numbers at the wheels or flywheel?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Is that gain from his untuned stock ST vs his tuned ST with spacer? To elaborate a bit, did he dyno his stock untuned ST and then fit it with the spacer and get it tuned and dynoed?

What I'm getting at is that there is a bit of power to be unlocked with a tune. Is he literally saying he gained 24hp and 56ftlbs of torque just from the spacer, or is he also including the gains that a typical tune would gain even without the spacer? To do a fair/accurate comparison you'd first need your ST tuned fully to its maximum potential, then fit the spacer in and try tuning to its maximum potential again.

Hope my question makes sense. Also, are those numbers at the wheels or flywheel?
This has been debated to death on the main thread about this product. (Search intake runner spacer) Yes those claims are bs.
If you want this product ur not buying it based on those claims. Unless u haven't done ur research..

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Another member, quoted below, did dyno runs stock and tuned with the spacer. He did not show gains like what Breedt is showing. I'd like to know where those numbers came from, as well..

Here's your hard data. Same car. Same dyno. Same day (today). Back to back - did three pulls each with [a] spacer/tune, spacer/no tune, [c] no spacer/no tune, [d] no spacer/tune. The tunes are Unleashed V5A 91 octane - two different tunes - one modified for the spacer and one not. So, this is as good as it gets. Don't stress about the low-ish numbers - this car has been 104mph in the quarter, so it's right on - it's just heat and bad air in AZ today.

And the results are:

Spacer vs No Spacer (both tuned correctly) - spacer made 3.28hp and 5.16tq over no spacer. That is ~1.5% variance on peak numbers and well within the run to run variance of the dyno. That said, looking at the dyno graph, there is a clear edge in area under the curve for the spacer. It definitely makes more power than no spacer when it's tuned right, but the gains are modest.
Spacer vs No Spacer (stock) - spacer made 4.02hp and 0.52tq over no spacer. That is also within the run to run error variance of the dyno. More interestingly, there is no clear advantage in area under the curve.

So, there you go. The spacer if put on a tuned car and tuned correctly does help some all other things stock.

View attachment 18435 View attachment 18436

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
This has been debated to death on the main thread about this product. (Search intake runner spacer) Yes those claims are bs.
If you want this product ur not buying it based on those claims. Unless u haven't done ur research..
I suppose that's more why I'm questioning it. Some people may read that it gains 24hp for $130 and would immediately buy it without reading the long thread (62 pages long) to find out that the claims are misleading.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I suppose that's more why I'm questioning it. Some people may read that it gains 24hp for $130 and would immediately buy it without reading the long thread (62 pages long) to find out that the claims are misleading.
5 hp max with a tune is what I read from a couple ppl who did dyno runs.
The more bolted your car is, and the more boost you run, the more it will benefit.

From what I have discovered in my research, the smoothness it provides to help the engine run better and a small bump in power are worth $135. If you plan to get a manifold then don't waste your time..

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Your trying to help certain ppl out...? Sorry. Your doing a good thing....i didn't catch on to that immediately lol.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts