Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Magnetic '17 Focus ST2
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Haven’t posted here in a while but thought I’d start this to keep track of progress made on the car. It’s a 17 ST2 that I use as a daily and do track events.

I bought it about a year and a half ago bone stock with 39k miles. Since then it’s up to 50k and I’ve added a couple things listed below.

Exciting stuff:
JLT front/rear catch cans
MonterTuned intercooler
Ngk spark plugs
Cobb filter
MonsterTuned Adapt-X (running 93)
Hawk PC pads / blank rotors

Less exciting (but still important) stuff:
Blizzaks and flaps for winter
Trans fluid (Motorcraft)
Wipers (Bosch)
FL-400S filter
Steeda clutch spring (installed then removed due to strange clutch feel at top of travel)

Future:
Mountune radiator - picked up for cheap and will add it in the spring
Oil cooler - will happen in the future
Tires - looking for track tires currently, Falken Azenis is the top choice but may go with a higher TW so I can leave them on all summer.

I’ll try to keep this updated as parts go on or I do more events. Here’s some pictures from the intercooler install and after the last detail.

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Tread Flooring

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Vehicle Grille Car Tire Hood
Vehicle Grille Car Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice, and I'm not just saying that because you have the exact same wheel/color combo as mine;). I've done a couple track days and several autocrosses and I am looking forward to hearing about how the new radiator works for you. Cooling has been an issue on the track. When you install the oil cooler, try to isolate it from the structure with rubber washers or something. I didn't and mine really howls.

·
Registered
Magnetic '17 Focus ST2
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update from this weekend. A few new parts installed and some maintenance stuff done.

Mountune triple pass radiator
NGK Ruthenium plugs
Enkei M52 wheels
BFG Comp-2’s
Brakes bled

Radiator install was straight forward but I did have to add spacers to the JLT catch can bracket to move rearward to avoid contact with the fan. Overall a successful weekend and the car is now ready for Waterford Hills next weekend.

Lastly, gave it a wash and a wax since the weather was nice and it looked a little rough. Here’s some pictures from the install and after cleaning.
Gas Engineering Office equipment Circuit component Wood
Blue Wood Rectangle Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Train Automotive lighting Rim
Hood Light Tire Automotive design Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2018 blue metallic
141 Posts
I raced quarter midgets out at waterford hills back in 1973. Between the midget races I would walk over and watch the cars on the road racing track. It was a beautiful place back then I always thought about going back to see how it looks now. What a blast that would be sitting on the hill watching the cars again.

·
Registered
Magnetic '17 Focus ST2
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I raced quarter midgets out at waterford hills back in 1973. Between the midget races I would walk over and watch the cars on the road racing track. It was a beautiful place back then I always thought about going back to see how it looks now. What a blast that would be sitting on the hill watching the cars again.
Can confirm, it’s an awesome track especially with the resurface a couple years ago. Still fun and still a beautiful spot whether you’re racing or spectating. Would highly recommend for anyone looking to do a track day. They also have various open wheel class races that are great to go and watch too.

·
Registered
Magnetic '17 Focus ST2
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some pictures from Waterford last May. Definitely glad I had the radiator/intercooler as it was 85-90 all day but car temps were under control the whole time. Definitely looking forward to Gingerman in September.

Attachments

·
Registered
Magnetic '17 Focus ST2
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some minor updates:

removed the pinstripes (very tedious process)
GT350 shift knob
Wheels

The stripes were likely installed by dealer before first or second owner before I bought it but with a little heat, detail spray, and patience I was able to peel them off and clean up the residue.

Also wanted to replace the stock shift knob as it was showing some wear and liked how the 350 knob matched the red ST accents while still keeping OEM feel.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Plant

Car Plant Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
Magnetic '17 Focus ST2
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another update: Swapped on track wheels w/ Comp-2's and did an HPDE at Gingerman Raceway. First session went fine, got aquatinted with the track with no issues. After that, ambient temps went up to 80-85 and every session the car would do 5-6 hard laps before entering limp mode, got P0217 for coolant temp even with the new mountune radiator. It was a little disappointing but the oil temp wasn't far behind and the brake pedal was getting long anyway. After a cool down lap I could get about 1 more fast lap out of it before going back to limp mode again (same code). I would consider heat extractors for the hood, shaving some grill for an oil cooler, and RS front brakes / DTC-60/70 pads but $$$ and the fact that it's a daily driver have me holding off for now...

After post-track inspection found the passenger motor mount weeping fluid (after only 53k miles) and the drivers side tie rod ball joint also weeping fluid. Already have inner/outer tie rods but OEM motor mounts are proving difficult to find. Anyone know which PMM is closest to OEM rates? Not looking for anything stiff as again, it's still a daily.

Apologies for lack of track pictures - all I got was trailer shots
Wheel Cloud Tire Car Sky
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
84 Posts
I see this all the time but have yet to experience it. I have done Daytona twice in 95+ heat without limp mode. Out lap, In lap plus 4 full speed laps usually. Speeds of up to 143 and heavy acceleration/braking. I did Pocono which averaged 8 laps plus the in/out with speeds topping 120 and plenty of heavy acceleration/braking. Ambient temp was 80. I have no cooling mods and run HP+ pads and slotted rotors. Sure the brakes were not as good at the end as at the beginning of each run but they held up. I totally went out on my first track day a few months ago expecting to be disappointed but I have run into none of the common issues that others see. I did suffer from that tiny ass gas tank telling the car there was none left even though there was.

·
Registered
Magnetic '17 Focus ST2
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will have to look into the power flex inserts but would like to replace the whole mount if possible as it’s pretty messy… found the Damond street mount - only downside being price. Will keep looking.

I removed the lower shroud around the intercooler as it would’ve required some cutting, left the upper piece in place as it didn’t look like it limited flow through the grill opening.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
1,170 Posts
I kept the shroud, added a small (cheap) oil cooler. Haven’t had any limp mode since. RS‘s chasing me or I‘m chasing them don’t last the whole session due to limp mode. The local track is on the mid to upper 90’s all the time. @Damondmotorsports sell Powerflex products too.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
1,170 Posts
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grille

I did a little temporary scoop around it until I come with something better. I'm changing it to the other side because the air intake is on that side, warm air after the cooler could be getting ingested. Rubber hoses are cheaper than braided ones. Use 10AN for less pressure losses.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
1,170 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Some minor updates:

removed the pinstripes (very tedious process)
GT350 shift knob
Wheels

The stripes were likely installed by dealer before first or second owner before I bought it but with a little heat, detail spray, and patience I was able to peel them off and clean up the residue.

Also wanted to replace the stock shift knob as it was showing some wear and liked how the 350 knob matched the red ST accents while still keeping OEM feel.

View attachment 406965
Is the GT350 shift knob an exact fit? No modifications required to get it to screw down onto the shift lever?? What year GT350 shift knob is it? (y)

Reactions: 20focusSTdriver17

·
Registered
Magnetic '17 Focus ST2
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is the GT350 shift knob an exact fit? No modifications required to get it to screw down onto the shift lever?? What year GT350 shift knob is it? (y)
it did require modification, had to be re-drilled/tapped to fit. I believe all GT350/GT350R knobs are the same so year wouldn’t make a difference. Reverse lock out also works fine, just has to be re-threaded for the shift lever. I really wanted the base S550 knob but found the GT350 one on marketplace for cheap and couldn’t pass it up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts