Negative ignition corrections on custom tune
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brian60

Thread: Negative ignition corrections on custom tune

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Negative ignition corrections on custom tune

I am running a custom tune from Stratified which was done around february and today i started to see pretty heavily negative ignition corrections on all cylinders. Up to -8.
    My tune is programmed with a Boomba BPV and 2 weeks ago I swapped it for a Turbosmart Dualport, do you guys think it has anything to do with that? Is it even possible to fix or should I just throw in my BPV again instead?

I emailed my tuner and asked if it was necessery to do any adjustments but no answer yet, So Im reaching out here and see if I can get some clarification on this

Thanks!

I spend too much of my life on FST! rambleon84's Avatar
    is so mote be it

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might help wrap your head around what is happening. Ideally, you'll want to send a log to Stratify though. They will tell you what they see on the tune side of things.
    Blog : Understanding knock and ignition corrections in your Ecoboost powered Ford : Stratified Automotive Controls

Cant say i have heard of a correlation between BOV and corrections though

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
    This might help wrap your head around what is happening. Ideally, you'll want to send a log to Stratify though. They will tell you what they see on the tune side of things.
    Blog : Understanding knock and ignition corrections in your Ecoboost powered Ford : Stratified Automotive Controls

Cant say i have heard of a correlation between BOV and corrections though
    Ive read it so I have a slight understanding how it works, thats why im confused now.

I tried a KAM reset and things got better but not 100%. Still seeing negative correction on either cylinder 2 or 4 and a little less less boost. Gonna put back my old BPV tomorrow and see what happens. Hope Stratified can answer my mail soon enough. Otherwise im super happy with the tune. Real solid when everything works
    Last edited by Gullet; 04-23-2019 at 01:42 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

I spend too much of my life on FST! jamie1073's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have yo-u checked your plugs? Could it just be bad gas? How is your OAR?
    Current:
    2019 Edge ST

Had:
    2016 Black ST2
    Depo Son of Beast FMIC
    COBB AP running Stratified 93 Tune or 91 Tune
    1 Step Colder NGK plugs
    Boomba Adjustable BPV
    Boomba Short Shifter Adapter Plate
    Mountune RMM

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie1073 View Post
    Have yo-u checked your plugs? Could it just be bad gas? How is your OAR?
    Im gonna check my plugs tomorrow when I get home from work. OAR is at -1 so nothing wrong with that. Was also my first thought when i noticed this.

I will do an update when Ive changed back to my BPV and checked my spark plugs.

is looking up parts I can't
    afford

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullet View Post
    Im gonna check my plugs tomorrow when I get home from work. OAR is at -1 so nothing wrong with that. Was also my first thought when i noticed this.

I would also recommend making sure your AP is updated with the most recent software. I've had high negative corrections but after updating, they went away. I would say checking plugs and updating AP are usually the issues, if that doesn't fix it reach out to Stratified.

Premium Member
    is wishing he was hammock camping
    deep in the woods.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When was the last time you checked/gapped/replaced your plugs? Stratified tunes are very sensitive to plug gap from what I've seen. Keep those bad boys around .025-.026 and gap them each oil change...plus don't be afraid to replace them often-ish. My 1 step colder NGK plugs that Stratified recommends that we use are only $31 on Amazon...that's cheap insurance even if I replace them twice a year.

Is this negative correction happening during pulls or just randomly showing up after driving around some? Also how many cylinders/which cylinders? All of this is important info to help you out troubleshooting. If it's just 1 or 2 cylinders and it's randomly -8 as the minimum number because you hit a pot hole or a speed bump or something it's false knock. Could also be exhaust fitment causing a vibration or clank which causes false knock...I had this due to my downpipe rubbing slightly. I'd have -6 corrections 1st thing in the morning while reversing out of my spot...despite the max boost I built being like -3psi up to that point...absolutely false knock.

If this is happening during a WOT pull...THAT is a serious issue and you need to not do more pulls until you figure it out. Go throw a gallon of e85 into your full tank of 93 if you want to rule out gasoline being the issue. Check and gap your plugs to rule that out as well..if it persists and is happening while under boost...datalog and contact Strat for guidance and do a quick and easy compression test for some peace of mind you didn't lose a cylinder or something
    PDXslowboi likes this.
    2014 Performance Blue ST3

Stratified 93Oct Tune - AP v3
    CP-E 3.5" FMIC
    Depo Racing Catless DP
    MBRP CBE
    Cobb CAI
    AEM DryFlow Air Filter
    Boomba Racing Wing Risers and BOV
    Option Labs R716 Wheels in Bronze
    VelossaTech Rear Diffuser Fins
    Rally Armour Mud Flaps
    Yellow LED Amazon Fogs
    NGK LTR7IX-11 Spark Plugs
    Subdued Flag Decals (2) with Thin Blue Line

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got some news for you all.

First of all, still having my dualport, couldnt find one of the shells that comes with the boomba, but I increased the hardness on the spring by one turn and I think I actually like it better this way than factory settings.

I did update the acessport and did a KAM reset and it seemed to work since I didnt get any negative values after. For awhile atleast.
    Stratified reached out to me and I sent them a total of 4 logs, 2 on 3rd gear and 2 on 4th gear. I tried to read them my self and I think all of them looked pretty good except the last one on 4th gear which was a little worse.
    The conclusion from Stratified is that I probably got very unlucky with the last gas i bought. When you think about it, the ignition corrections varied from bad to good and it happend right after i left the gas station and headed out on the highway home. But there were some real bad negative values so i got kind of scared since im new to all this. The good thing is that I didnt fill up the whole tank and hopefully its better next time. Its usually really good fuel there and its the fuel ive been tuning with.

Thanks to Stratified who took time for me, and everyone here who tried to help me,you are all wonderful people!

is looking up parts I can't
    afford

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got some news for you all.

First of all, still having my dualport, couldnt find one of the shells that comes with the boomba, but I increased the hardness on the spring by one turn and I think I actually like it better this way than factory settings.

I did update the acessport and did a KAM reset and it seemed to work since I didnt get any negative values after. For awhile atleast.
    Stratified reached out to me and I sent them a total of 4 logs, 2 on 3rd gear and 2 on 4th gear. I tried to read them my self and I think all of them looked pretty good except the last one on 4th gear which was a little worse.
    The conclusion from Stratified is that I probably got very unlucky with the last gas i bought. When you think about it, the ignition corrections varied from bad to good and it happend right after i left the gas station and headed out on the highway home. But there were some real bad negative values so i got kind of scared since im new to all this. The good thing is that I didnt fill up the whole tank and hopefully its better next time. Its usually really good fuel there and its the fuel ive been tuning with.

Thanks to Stratified who took time for me, and everyone here who tried to help me,you are all wonderful people!
    Good to hear man, nobody wants to see another one bite the dust! Just out of curiosity, what fuel provider do you use? Most if not all tuners recommend not using Shell or any company that sources their fuel from Shell (Costco, Sams club for example). Hopefully like you said it was just a bad batch and you won't have issues going forward, especially if you use 76/Chevron or something like that.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PDXslowboi View Post
    Good to hear man, nobody wants to see another one bite the dust! Just out of curiosity, what fuel provider do you use? Most if not all tuners recommend not using Shell or any company that sources their fuel from Shell (Costco, Sams club for example). Hopefully like you said it was just a bad batch and you won't have issues going forward, especially if you use 76/Chevron or something like that.
    I use 98RON(the same as 93OCT) from Circle K here in Sweden, former Statoil. The reason I use them is that they are official provider for Scandinavian Touring Car Championship and they have always had exceptional fuel quality. I used Shell V-power 98+RON when i did my first tune with Mountune but that didnt work so I switched to Circle K. Dont know if that batch also was bad but the rumor about V-power here i Sweden isnt the greatest. Some people say its supergood and some people say its just another 98RON but alot more expensive.

Anyway im gonna stay with Circle K, I fueled up half a tank today just to check the quality and my corrections are showing +4 again so im happy.

Sponsored Links