Blackula's Music Thread, Gear Chat & Video Share - Page 5
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Blackula's Music Thread, Gear Chat & Video Share

Premium Member
    is twistin like a flame in a slow
    dance baby

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by STeve16 View Post
    Nice pedalboard! How are you powering it? And how are you using the Whammy? I'm a huge Gilmour fan and he really took those things to task in his later stuff.

Wish I'd taken a pic of mine. It wasn't as nice, nine or ten pedals, mostly Boss stuff. I sold my TS-808 and MXR Phase 90, but still have some really old cool stuff like a Maestro PS-1 phase shifter, an original ADA flanger, and a PDS8000. I have a home-brew fuzz face I built with germanium transistors. Yeehaw!

My wah (an old Thomas Organ) was on the left side. I had an A/B/C switch so I could bypass the entire effects loop and go right into the inputs of my amps. Heavy artillery is 2 Bassmans and a VT-22.

You remember when it wasn't cool to have multi-fx processor, and everyone stayed away from them, including me. But when Boss came out with their COSM effects engine, I couldn't resist. I have a BR1600 with the same effects processor, and loved it, so I picked up that Boss GT-6.
    Thanks Steve! Voodoo Labs Pedal Power II still running strong, lets me run the EP booster on 18v for total headroom, thatís my always on / clean tone, and has an AC input for the original Whammy 1, hard to find now under $700, but has a smaller footprint and sounds amazing. Iíve always used whammy pedals for my chorus sounds, and the pitch shift and intervallic harmonizer give me something to get weird.

Vision Wah Special is also $700 new but I picked it up for half that used. Itís the lowest profile wah Iíve found, balanced treadle stays where you leave it, and in off mode itís a volume pedal.

But the real unknown gems are the Skreddy pedals, guy built his brand creating dirt boxes that mimic Gilmourís tones thru the years. The gold Screwdriver in the middle is a do-it-all germanium+silicone dual stage, gets me from Stones to Jimi, Zep to ACDC, pretty much a go to for any rhythm or classic leads. Top right is the Lunar Module fuzz, which as you might guess is inspired by Dark Side, but I can get Santana to Steely Dan. I never bonded with any fuzz pedals until this one.

Way Huge Pork Loin is a great overdrive. I use to boost pretty much any solo, alone for clear and thick, or being driven by either of the skreddys for max sustain and body in the mix. It fattens it up so nice and still cuts right thru a 10-pc band. And the Supa-Puss is like the only Analog delay w/ tap tempo.

Guess I gotta at least shout out the Strymon, TC Electronic Flashback and Little Lehle, all outstanding quality.

And yea for all-in-one, I ran thru a Boss ME-50 for a few years, and after moving to individual effects used it for teaching 8 yrs, itís still going strong.
    STeve16 likes this.

Mountune RMM, intake
    TB Performance traction bars, strut tower brace, rear end links
    ST Suspensions rear sway bar
    Konig Hypergrams
    Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
    Steeda jacking rails, mag drain plug
    AEM dryflow
    CFM breather
    Boomba OCC, symposer delete, hood release
    Shift Solutions 400g CS
    JBR pedal spacer
    Velossa Tech diffuser fins
    Diode Dynamics SLF fogs, side mirror, trunk, vanity LEDs
    Headlight Armor fog vinyls
    Spec'D chrome smoked taillights
    Rokblokz shorties
    Mugen window visors
    Boosted Designs dead pedal
    Whiteline lateral locks (driver seat)
    Blacksys CH-100B dual cam

I spend too much of my life on FST! STeve16's Avatar
    is @ 2850 miles

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackula View Post
    Thanks Steve! Voodoo Labs Pedal Power II still running strong, lets me run the EP booster on 18v for total headroom, that’s my always on / clean tone, and has an AC input for the original Whammy 1, hard to find now under $700, but has a smaller footprint and sounds amazing. I’ve always used whammy pedals for my chorus sounds, and the pitch shift and intervallic harmonizer give me something to get weird.

Vision Wah Special is also $700 new but I picked it up for half that used. It’s the lowest profile wah I’ve found, balanced treadle stays where you leave it, and in off mode it’s a volume pedal.

But the real unknown gems are the Skreddy pedals, guy built his brand creating dirt boxes that mimic Gilmour’s tones thru the years. The gold Screwdriver in the middle is a do-it-all germanium+silicone dual stage, gets me from Stones to Jimi, Zep to ACDC, pretty much a go to for any rhythm or classic leads. Top right is the Lunar Module fuzz, which as you might guess is inspired by Dark Side, but I can get Santana to Steely Dan. I never bonded with any fuzz pedals until this one.

Way Huge Pork Loin is a great overdrive. I use to boost pretty much any solo, alone for clear and thick, or being driven by either of the skreddys for max sustain and body in the mix. It fattens it up so nice and still cuts right thru a 10-pc band. And the Supa-Puss is like the only Analog delay w/ tap tempo.

Guess I gotta at least shout out the Strymon, TC Electronic Flashback and Little Lehle, all outstanding quality.

And yea for all-in-one, I ran thru a Boss ME-50 for a few years, and after moving to individual effects used it for teaching 8 yrs, it’s still going strong.
    Damn, you've got my dream rig lol. I have a DigiTech EX-7 for the Whammy effects, but haven't toyed much with it. I also have a very old DOD FX65 stereo chorus, some have said it does a good job of emulating a Leslie. I do love that pedal.

Would love to hang out jam with a like-minded guitar/effects/amps guy. They're rare as hen's teeth around here.

Premium Member
    is twistin like a flame in a slow
    dance baby

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by STeve16 View Post
    Damn, you've got my dream rig lol. I have a DigiTech EX-7 for the Whammy effects, but haven't toyed much with it. I also have a very old DOD FX65 stereo chorus, some have said it does a good job of emulating a Leslie. I do love that pedal.

Would love to hang out jam with a like-minded guitar/effects/amps guy. They're rare as hen's teeth around here.
    Yeah man, itís a small subset of the people who play that spend the time dwelling on the gear they use to get the sound they want. My drummer says heís spent probably twice as much time tuning drums as actually playing them. But how you sound is at least just as important as the notes you play. When your tone is good, you can slay with just one note....

If youíre ever planning a trip to the nationís capital, hit me up. You can play thru my Boogie Revolver rotating speaker cab (the only one where the speaker actually rotates, not just a shroud around it).
    STeve16 likes this.

Mountune RMM, intake
    TB Performance traction bars, strut tower brace, rear end links
    ST Suspensions rear sway bar
    Konig Hypergrams
    Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
    Steeda jacking rails, mag drain plug
    AEM dryflow
    CFM breather
    Boomba OCC, symposer delete, hood release
    Shift Solutions 400g CS
    JBR pedal spacer
    Velossa Tech diffuser fins
    Diode Dynamics SLF fogs, side mirror, trunk, vanity LEDs
    Headlight Armor fog vinyls
    Spec'D chrome smoked taillights
    Rokblokz shorties
    Mugen window visors
    Boosted Designs dead pedal
    Whiteline lateral locks (driver seat)
    Blacksys CH-100B dual cam

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

Supporting Member Pelican of the Desert's Avatar
    Premium Member
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But how you sound is at least just as important as the notes you play. When your tone is good, you can slay with just one note.
    Could not agree more! I've played bass for half my life, and it always amazes me the garbage tone that people settle for, especially when it comes to bass. Drums too...nothing kills a band more than terrible bass and drum tone. I'm not in a band anymore, but I do still manage to get my bass out daily to mess around with, and even just messing around tone is important to me. I mash on a Fender American Deluxe Jazz, it's an expensive bass for somebody that's not in a band, but the sound I get out of it is extremely rewarding. Tone is so underrated.
    Blackula likes this.

is @ 2850 miles

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah man, it’s a small subset of the people who play that spend the time dwelling on the gear they use to get the sound they want. My drummer says he’s spent probably twice as much time tuning drums as actually playing them. But how you sound is at least just as important as the notes you play. When your tone is good, you can slay with just one note....

If you’re ever planning a trip to the nation’s capital, hit me up. You can play thru my Boogie Revolver rotating speaker cab (the only one where the speaker actually rotates, not just a shroud around it).
    Sure do appreciate that. I'm just east of New Orleans, into MS. You'd think the music scene would be good here, that close to NO but it's not. And I don't like driving into the city for one-night gigs, though I've done it. Played on Bourbon a few times. if I'm ever up your way, I might surprise you, I have a few business trips each year. In fact I'll be in Anaheim in 2 weeks.

Would love to play though that Revolver, how cool is that!

I do believe it's important to have a good tone and good gear. The ol' "tone is in the fingers" does hold merit, though. And I agree on the "one note" tone too. I immediately think of Gilmour or Santana. Carlos can hold a note for 4 measures (with a ton of sustain) and make your hairs stand up
    Blackula likes this.

is @ 2850 miles

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican of the Desert View Post
    Could not agree more! I've played bass for half my life, and it always amazes me the garbage tone that people settle for, especially when it comes to bass. Drums too...nothing kills a band more than terrible bass and drum tone. I'm not in a band anymore, but I do still manage to get my bass out daily to mess around with, and even just messing around tone is important to me. I mash on a Fender American Deluxe Jazz, it's an expensive bass for somebody that's not in a band, but the sound I get out of it is extremely rewarding. Tone is so underrated.
    When I was younger, in my early 20s, I had terrible tone. And the sad part is I didn't realize it. Part of it was the crappy gear I was using, and the other was my ear. I've got great relative pitch and I learned to tune without a tuner, but I just had crap tone back then. I know this because I found some old band practice tapes a few weeks ago. Holy crap did I sound bad!

lug
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican of the Desert View Post
    Rule #7 ... No pic, no bass.

CDB
    I spend too much of my life on FST! CDB's Avatar
    is Enjoying focusST.org

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw this tour and just gave away my age. Nothing but a big Gretsch hollow body. Can’t remember the amp. Sound was the same as on this album cut. Gotta wait to hear it. Its near to the end. I remember watching and thinking “ I never knew....”.
    Last edited by CDB; 03-05-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    Blackula and CaliJoe like this.

Koni shocks, Swift springs, Whiteline endlinks and rsb, TB Performance front & rear traction bars and rear mid brace, Energy Suspension poly fsb bushings, Radium Engineering end plate, CFM vented oil cap, Depo Racing intake, IC, and IC piping. Velossa Tech ram air, Anarchy Motiv shift knob, Brembo front brakes, frakenbrakes, Carbotech pads, TCE ss brake lines, Team Dynamics and Axis Sport Wheels, Michelin tires, FSWERKS shift block, JPC Racing ss clutch line, MRT axle back exhaust, Cobb AP3

I spend too much of my life on FST! CaliJoe's Avatar
    is Both feet flat on the floor.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up this little jewel last Friday. At first I was going to buy a real tele neck and Fender neck plate on it (I mean who would know lol) but after I pull the neck off to level and redress the frets. OMG this thing plays like a dream! I was thinking about a P/U upgrade but after playing a set yesterday I don't think I'm going to touch it.

I can't believe I'm gushing over a $200 guitar, I have a Gibson Les Paul and a sweet Gretsch Silver Falcon amongst others. But man! I'm just loving this Indo made Squier!

It's called a Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster, it has a Jazzmaster neck and a Jazzmaster neck pickup and the regular Tele style bridge P/U, it sounds amazing.
    Name:  IMG-3612.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  1.28 MB
    Blackula and STeve16 like this.

is @ 2850 miles

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliJoe View Post
    I just picked up this little jewel last Friday. At first I was going to buy a real tele neck and Fender neck plate on it (I mean who would know lol) but after I pull the neck off to level and redress the frets. OMG this thing plays like a dream! I was thinking about a P/U upgrade but after playing a set yesterday I don't think I'm going to touch it.

I can't believe I'm gushing over a $200 guitar, I have a Gibson Les Paul and a sweet Gretsch Silver Falcon amongst others. But man! I'm just loving this Indo made Squier!

It's called a Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster, it has a Jazzmaster neck and a Jazzmaster neck pickup and the regular Tele style bridge P/U, it sounds amazing.
    If it plays well, leave it be
    CaliJoe likes this.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links