Ford Focus ST Forum

Just bought a 2018 ST 1

Thread: Just bought a 2018 ST 1

Tags:

Sobro said:

Just bought a 2018 ST 1

Hey FoSTers!

I guess I'm supposed to do this when I sign up, and I always follow the rules ::rollseyes::

I was looking for a toy here in Nashville since I turned 60 years old a couple of months ago and never had a mid-life crisis. My budget was $15,000 and I was searching for used hot hatches but both times I tried to test drive an ST it was sold that day. I also drove a FiST and a GTI. Almost drove a MazdaSpeed3, but it was getting brakes right after it was delivered from auction when I showed up for my appointment. I thought why not raise my search budget to infinity just so I could drive a FoST and see if it fit. Saw a 2018 locally offered at $19,500 and liked it.

My thoughts were that I'd have to hold back $5000 for repairs on a 4-7 year old hot hatch with 70-90,000 miles on it, so I was committing $20k anyway. And since the 2018 had warranty to spare on it I decided to just spend the extra $5k right now for a car with only 12,500 miles. It was a Budget Rent A Car, so there are suitcase scratches in random places, but for a 20% discount I'm OK with that.

Been having fun with it for two weeks now.

Sobro
    2018 ST 1, black like my coffee

StanE said:
    Wow - I'm amazed that a rental company would have offered a car with a manual transmission any more!

Sobro said:
    Yeah, and the shifter seems a bit "notchy". But hey, 60k mile warranty and I know it wasn't modded and then returned to stock.

Sobro said:
    Of course, Hertz once had their own Ford to rent:

https://www.hertz.com/blog/automotiv...shelby-mustang

310 HP, 0-62 in 5.9 seconds. $17/day plus $0.17/mile

StanE said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobro View Post
    Yeah, and the shifter seems a bit "notchy". But hey, 60k mile warranty and I know it wasn't modded and then returned to stock.
    Short shifter kit or arm would be one of the first on your list of improvements I expect!

Sobro said:
    I'm thinking new shifter bushings first. My last stick shift vehicle was a 1991 Isuzu Trooper. So this IS a short shifter compared to that