swollen lug nuts - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: swollen lug nuts

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    I was questioning the description of the condition of the nuts really. The outer cover was deformed from previous rotations, that was sort of evident, what I objected to was the "tech" pounding on the socket and gouging the nuts because he did not line up the socket on the flats and then spun the impact wrench. It looks like there is less bearing surface on the conical area of the gorilla nuts than the OEM ones is that true or does it just look that way? Jim
    The only way to get the deformed nuts off is to pound them semi straight or to rip the cap off and use a size down STD socket. I've had to do it myself, both methods are not fun and feel like your doing it wrong. Mopar has been using the 2 piece style for years and I've had to do them to minivans.

Depending on which style nuts you get, they could be straight style or factory bulge style.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    what I objected to was the "tech" pounding on the socket and gouging the nuts because he did not line up the socket on the flats and then spun the impact wrench.
    This is really the only way to get them off. You can even buy 19.5MM sockets that are made for swollen 19MM lug nuts.

Also, I don't think anyone has addressed why the lug nuts swell: The two layers of Ford's crappy designed lug separate and allow rust to form between. That rust in the middle is what causes the outer shell to swell and make it a giant PIA for the poor tire tech that has to deal with it.

To anyone buying a Ford, new or used, find out if your lugs are solid or two piece. If you have two piece swap them out now before you end up in this situation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links