Test drove a 2018 GTI
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Test drove a 2018 GTI

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Test drove a 2018 GTI

I'm curious what other peoples impressions have been, but I test drove a 2018 GTI and I really don't know what to think. It's almost like the car was too nice and too well behaved? I drove it, and I really wanted to like it, but it was such a stark contrast from the ST that it made me really appreciate what I have. Our cars seem to have so much more character.

I wish I didn't keep having P00x code problems with this car. If they just had a fix for this, I would keep this car for a long time.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely agree. I drove an 18 GTI before buying my ST a few months ago and had a similar experience. The GTI has a nicer interior and feels newer to me but lacks in the “fun to drive” area. I chose the ST primarily due to the way it makes me feel when I drive it. The suspension feels sportier, engine feels stronger, and you don’t need to switch the car into sport mode to hear the engine rev. Just my experience from recently car shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
    is looking to get a big snail
    (eventually)!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever you do, don't tell Motor Trend or Car & Driver, as they seem to just gush over the GTI. I considered the GTI when I was shopping. Ultimately, it was just too damn boring looking. I was also shocked to run across a Golf R the other day (I'd never seen one before). It was just as bland looking as the GTI. I mean they're good cars and all, but damn can't they make them just a little interesting to look at?!
    Last edited by davesST; 07-04-2018 at 05:10 PM.
    Carrier likes this.
    2016 RR FoST ST1
    Stage 3 w/Stratified Tune

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I drove a 2015 it felt like it was missing something. It would make for a great daily driver if you have a second car though. The one thing I've noticed about them is in autocross they are much more planted compared to the Focus. The Focus you have to toss around a little bit, whereas the GTI lends to a smoother run, which is more of my driving style.

is thinking of ways to blow money
    on my ST

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davesST View Post
    Whatever you do, don't tell Motor Trend or Car & Driver, as they seem to just gush over the GTI. I considered the GTI when I was shopping. Ultimately, it was just too damn boring looking. I was also shocked to run across a Golf R the other day (I'd never seen one before). It was just as bland looking as the GTI. I mean they're good cars and all, but damn can't they make them just a little interesting to look at?!
    I was a VW mechanic for a few years, awhile back. I got to work on & drive many many Golf R’s and GTI’s. They are the same car, with different specs obviously, but interior & exterior very well the same. The Golf R for what it is, is nothing special either. Not saying they aren’t nice, because they definitely have that “nice” Audi feeling, but lack in the fun category
    2013 Focus ST-Race Red
    CFM- RMM, Air Intake W/Dryflow Filter
    Depo Racing- Catless Downpipe
    COBB- AP3 W/Stage 1 Tune
    Magnaflow- CBE
    Steeda- Symposer Delete
    Turbosmart- BOV
    VelossaTech- Big Mouth Intake, Wing Risers
    Boosted Designs- Backlit Dead Pedal
    Rek Gen- Mud Flaps
    Gorilla- Tuner Lug Nuts
    3M- 35/20 Tint | Headlight Armor- Yellow Fogs

I spend too much of my life on FST! rambleon84's Avatar
    is so mote be it

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davesST View Post
    Ultimately, it was just too damn boring looking. I was also shocked to run across a Golf R the other day (I'd never seen one before). It was just as bland looking as the GTI. I mean they're good cars and all, but damn can't they make them just a little interesting to look at?!
    That is actually what i like about them the most, they dont scream look at me! The average person on the road wouldnt know an R from a base Golf. I'm more than happy with my ST but as I get older, I like less showy cars that blend in more. A true car fan will know its a special car and you can make them pretty fast and keep them unassuming, its like the opposite of what the Civic Type R is. We need the balance
    RRich likes this.

Premium Member
    is looking to get a big snail
    (eventually)!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
    That is actually what i like about them the most, they dont scream look at me! The average person on the road wouldnt know an R from a base Golf. I'm more than happy with my ST but as I get older, I like less showy cars that blend in more. A true car fan will know its a special car and you can make them pretty fast and keep them unassuming, its like the opposite of what the Civic Type R is. We need the balance
    At 46, I’m hardly a kid. However, I don’t feel the ST is a “look at me car” at all. To me there’s just enough to make it not bland. I don’t get into “showy” cars at all, just feel the the VW offerings are a bit too dull. I hear you regarding the Type R, I can’t stand those huge spoilers on them. I also don’t like the ones on the STI & newer Camaros.
    Last edited by davesST; 07-06-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    2016 RR FoST ST1
    Stage 3 w/Stratified Tune

is boy calls it "daddies
    vroom vroom"

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was so bored in the GTI... this was back in 2015 when I compared the two side by side 2015 ST vs GTI. I just had more fun in the ST! I also didn't like the interior of the GTI, I laughed because everyone claims to love it but I didn't and I hated the seats, the ST seats are still at 80k better than a brand new set of GTI seats.

I even drove a R... couldn't honestly have told you it was even "AWD" or had any other feature of the GTI. was just as bored driving it.

is a new guy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbaldwin86 View Post
    I even drove a R... couldn't honestly have told you it was even "AWD" or had any other feature of the GTI. was just as bored driving it.
    Did the R feel to have much more power/torque than the ST? I found the GTI pretty boring when I drove it, but I haven't driven an R.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbaldwin86 View Post
    I was so bored in the GTI... this was back in 2015 when I compared the two side by side 2015 ST vs GTI. I just had more fun in the ST! I also didn't like the interior of the GTI, I laughed because everyone claims to love it but I didn't and I hated the seats, the ST seats are still at 80k better than a brand new set of GTI seats.

I don't want to use the word boring, but it's a very neutral car and it was more pedestrian than I expected it to be. I definitely don't understand the rave reviews it's received. I think it might shine a little more with the automatic which is something I definitely didn't expect to ever say.

I still might end up buying one just because there's nothing else out there and I won't get another ST after the issues I've had. The Si has gas going into the crank case and the WRX is really dated.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links