Upcoming turbo options.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Upcoming turbo options.

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upcoming turbo options.

Moderators if this is the wrong section or if you deem this as possible advertising then please feel free to delete this thread.

Ladies and gentlemen I am proud to announce that this past weekend I had the awesome opportunity to help out a local business in getting into building a very affordable turbo upgrade option for our FoST's. I drove down to Moody Al where his shop is located and helped to test fit a GT2871r equivalent turbo option. Fit was excellent and this will be a turn key option when it is complete. All coolant and oil lines utilize the exact factory locations so no hoses or adaptation will be required. Brackets will be provided to allow the factory ebcs to be mounted in the same location with ports on the compressor housing located in nearly the exact location as stock so that existing factory hosing can be utilized. This is all of course very preliminary however fitment was excellent. Removing and installing the K03 is actually more difficult to install and remove than the prototype. Overall I think this will be a great upgrade option. Several of my friends with Mazdaspeeds in the Alabama area have had nothing but good things come from using his turbos. It is likely that my vehicle will be the first used to fit the production unit at which time, videos of install, and I am sure many pictures will be placed BNR's facebook page. I really look forward to helping out the Focus community and you guys in making more affordable power.

Some of you who have come from Mazdaspeeds or know someone with a Mazdaspeed have likely heard of the S series turbo chargers from BNR Supercars. Bryan (the owner) a really cool guy and has made his sole living off developing affordable turbo options for different platforms over the years as well as custom universal turbos for various applications.

Attached are a few of my own pictures and I will link to the facebook page to give more information directly from BNR Supercars.

If you guys have any questions or concerns please feel free to email or contact BNR during their business hours and keep an eye on social media for an update.

BNR Supercars Facebook

Name:  20180818_141201.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  3.30 MB
    Name:  20180818_141206.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  3.16 MB
    Name:  BNR 1.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  57.6 KB
    Name:  BNR 2.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  91.4 KB
    Name:  BNR 3.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  104.2 KB
    Last edited by Ov3rS3er; 08-20-2018 at 07:22 AM.

I spend too much of my life on FST! rambleon84's Avatar
    is so mote be it

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ov3rS3er View Post
    a GT2871r equivalent turbo option.
    What brand is the turbo?
    Mod list here

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
    What brand is the turbo?
    I am not too sure on the specifics, however, I can say that the turbine wheels, and compressor wheels as well as the castings are custom fabbed units. They really aren't a "brand" but he stands behind his work and if anyone has a problem he works with them best he can. You can inquire for more questions directly to BNR. I can say though for those worried about the reliability of his units, he has very proven track record with the Mazdaspeed platform and turbo rotaries where he got his start. This piece isn't anything different from what has been proven to work for the Mazda's, it's just different castings with the same CHRA that has proven itself many times over.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

I spend too much of my life on FST! mitch808's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to pick on steamspeed here for a minute. They have great reviews and dynos of their turbo on the subaru platform. Great CS and social media presence.
    But when it came to the Focus platform, they fell flat. "Hey guys, check out this turbo!" But then didn't follow up with anything in regards to installation pictures, dyno's, reviews, sample units in the wild, etc. Pricing was right in line with ATP turbos. Which are already proven. They did try to get one shop to do an installation overview and review, but IMO, it was the wrong shop to choose. Nothing happened from it.

All I'm saying is that, good historical reviews in one platform, may not be enough to sway over folks. The folks here, want tangible feelz. They want to see X mod with their particular setup to evaluate and compare; to feel comfortable with a big ticket purchase like that. Hopefully this place delivers on that.
    Duece McCracken likes this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
    I'm going to pick on steamspeed here for a minute. They have great reviews and dynos of their turbo on the subaru platform. Great CS and social media presence.
    But when it came to the Focus platform, they fell flat. "Hey guys, check out this turbo!" But then didn't follow up with anything in regards to installation pictures, dyno's, reviews, sample units in the wild, etc. Pricing was right in line with ATP turbos. Which are already proven. They did try to get one shop to do an installation overview and review, but IMO, it was the wrong shop to choose. Nothing happened from it.

All I'm saying is that, good historical reviews in one platform, may not be enough to sway over folks. The folks here, want tangible feelz. They want to see X mod with their particular setup to evaluate and compare; to feel comfortable with a big ticket purchase like that. Hopefully this place delivers on that.
    Right there with you, then the dyno they did was with nitrous to help boost the numbers. The price point is what I think killed them, I'd rather have an MRX kit for a little more that's proven. For half the price they'd be in the right ballpark.

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely agree with the skepticism. Especially when such things are promised and not delivered upon. It will take getting several of these out into the wild and individual successes to sway the masses lol. I am not asking or telling anyone to drop the tried and true. Just have an open mind and support a new product possibly that could benefit the community as a whole.

I spend too much of my life on FST! mitch808's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all have an open mind, we just hate the wait for an announcement that is months in the making. .

Its like everyone learned from Cobb tuning from years back when they were primarily a Subaru tuner.. they would make an announcement upwards of a year or more before release. Such a tease.

I spend too much of my life on FST! aaronc7's Avatar
    is needing the v8 powa

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the price will make or break it. Just like on the mazdaspeed platform... ATP kit was around since the beginning and nothing really wrong with it, but the BNR S3 (and then others) was a much better value, especially for guys staying purely on pump gas, or pump + wmi builds (which was most guys at the time).

I'm glad to see they went with a standard flange design on the 'exhaust elbow' to the turbine inlet. That ATP vband connection there is such a POS and was a huge source of headache on mine, never got it to fully seat properly.

It would be neat if they could machine in a flange for the stock bpv if they're already doing machine work on the compressor housing. Would reduce the overall build cost by a decent bit for milder setups and not all of us want loud choo choo noises.

I think an even smaller version would be awesome too. GT2860RS CHRA with their housings/fittings to make it more or less plug and play would be great for those staying pump gas or the milder side of things.

Either way I'll be watching this one and keep my fingers crossed for great things.

Super Moderator Duece McCracken's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is painfully slow living that N/A
    life.

Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I didn't know that we needed another turbo option.

PTE, ATP, CPE, MRX, where does this fit in?

Still external BOV, which adds cost, and unproven numbers against the competiton. The cost would be the real factor.

Personally, I pay to play, and wouldn't bother cheaping out for an inferior product.

If it meets peoples goals, with quality and value, then it's a welcome addition. If not, then I have colorful lines of dialogue to reference this part, and it's potential shortcomings.
    DijonFTW and psilynt like this.
    Owner and lead tech of Duece's Wrenchworx. The one stop shade tree ST shop.

Build thread - https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-duecette.html

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    I think the price will make or break it. Just like on the mazdaspeed platform... ATP kit was around since the beginning and nothing really wrong with it, but the BNR S3 (and then others) was a much better value, especially for guys staying purely on pump gas, or pump + wmi builds (which was most guys at the time).

I'm glad to see they went with a standard flange design on the 'exhaust elbow' to the turbine inlet. That ATP vband connection there is such a POS and was a huge source of headache on mine, never got it to fully seat properly.

It would be neat if they could machine in a flange for the stock bpv if they're already doing machine work on the compressor housing. Would reduce the overall build cost by a decent bit for milder setups and not all of us want loud choo choo noises.

I think an even smaller version would be awesome too. GT2860RS CHRA with their housings/fittings to make it more or less plug and play would be great for those staying pump gas or the milder side of things.

Either way I'll be watching this one and keep my fingers crossed for great things.
    I know the first version available will be the S3 v3 which is capable of flowing enough air to supply 450hp. If sales are good, he plans to offer a wide range of options from his S1 (2860 equivalent) all the way up to his S6 possibly. That being said, I don't think people who want to stay pump gas will sacrifice much even going with an S3. I know from experience on the Mazdaspeed platform that the S3 was just simply the best aftermarket replacement for the K04 that could be kept turned down if you weren't looking for huge gains and only sacrificed about 2-300 rpm spool time. That is on a 2.3 motor though so I know there will some differences there but I learned from my Speed3 to never try and spool before 3k rpm's anyway due to the inherent risk of vta'ing the block and I keep to that same habit in my focus for longevity.

Saturday during the test fit I mentioned if I were to get one I only would only shoot for around 350 max and it's assured that the S3 will sit happily in that flow range.

Quote Originally Posted by Duece McCracken View Post
    I didn't know that we needed another turbo option.

PTE, ATP, CPE, MRX, where does this fit in?

Still external BOV, which adds cost, and unproven numbers against the competiton. The cost would be the real factor.

Personally, I pay to play, and wouldn't bother cheaping out for an inferior product.

If it meets peoples goals, with quality and value, then it's a welcome addition. If not, then I have colorful lines of dialogue to reference this part, and it's potential shortcomings.
    The main place this fits in is a much cheaper alternative to what is on the market now for just the turbo package.

I hate to speculate on price and I don't want to overstep by bounds but he is excited to come in at a price range that is around 65-70% of the comparable competition, especially since it is the turbo pictured below with a V-band exhaust flange and his own cast headifold pipe which adds a little bit of cost. Oh yea and the casted bolt on intake pipe pictured in my original post.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 526
Size:  44.6 KB

True an external BOV will be needed but it seems a common thing when going BT to get larger charge pipes anyway, and I did some searching and there are some cost effective ways to add an external BOV to the stock piping, albeit not very professional looking or pretty but effective.

Finally, I don't want to divulge a huge amount of detail atm but what I think I can say is that this isn't a from the ground up remade turbo. I believe he literally took an S3 sitting on the shelf, cast a v-band flange to fit where the stock mazdaspeed downpipe bolts on and is just simply adding the provisions for the vacuum hose connections in different places compared to what is needed for the mazdaspeeds with a bolt on intake elbow and his own cast headifold pipe to bolt the turbo to the head.
    DijonFTW likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links