Rear suspension creak/squeak low speed bumps and large highway bumps
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Phil1349
  • 1 Post By Rcooper5

Thread: Rear suspension creak/squeak low speed bumps and large highway bumps

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear suspension creak/squeak low speed bumps and large highway bumps

Alright, first of all I have been able to remedy the issue temporarily with penetrating oil, but doesn't last long.
    Was considering lithium grease but requires more effort to get all the way under car.

Has anyone had the issue of the rear suspension creak/squeak at low speed going over bumps? sometimes at high speed?

Rear suspension mods are COBB rear anti-sway bar (on stiffest setting) and the FSWerks upper stress bar.

It's been driving me nuts and getting worse over time.

The highway I drive on every day has a real crappy bridge transition (two actually) where it goes from asphalt to concrete over the bridge. It WAS a somewhat gentle bump, moderately loading the suspension going over then un-loading it. Fast enough and you could probably get zero load. A few days ago they ground down the asphalt and the transition was, well, the worst I've ever driven over (may have bent wheel, not sure until I measure).

Anyway, over the course of a year or so I have noticed the creaking getting worse.

I have a feeling it's the rear spring insulators (top and or bottom, components 7 and 8)

Name:  isolators.png
Views: 26
Size:  19.6 KB

drive thru car wash and it goes away for 10 miles or so. spraying oil and it goes away longer.

My questions:
    - Has anyone had the same issue and replaced the insulator pads? Did the issue go away?
    - How much of a pain was it? Being suspension I'm sure it requires torque to yield bolts and pre-loading the suspension to re-install.

Tempted to take it to the dealer and have them diagnose and fix, then possibly sending the bill to ODOT for reimbursement along with wheel straightening if needed.

A co-worker of mine with a Fiat Abarth said he hit his head on the roof of his car going over the transition and thinks it knocked the engine out of alignment on the mounts (belts squealed for a day until it re-positioned over time)
    Bart likes this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil1349 View Post
    Alright, first of all I have been able to remedy the issue temporarily with penetrating oil, but doesn't last long.
    Was considering lithium grease but requires more effort to get all the way under car.

Has anyone had the issue of the rear suspension creak/squeak at low speed going over bumps? sometimes at high speed?

Rear suspension mods are COBB rear anti-sway bar (on stiffest setting) and the FSWerks upper stress bar.

The highway I drive on every day has a real crappy bridge transition (two actually) where it goes from asphalt to concrete over the bridge. It WAS a somewhat gentle bump, moderately loading the suspension going over then un-loading it. Fast enough and you could probably get zero load. A few days ago they ground down the asphalt and the transition was, well, the worst I've ever driven over (may have bent wheel, not sure until I measure).

Anyway, over the course of a year or so I have noticed the creaking getting worse.

I have a feeling it's the rear spring insulators (top and or bottom, components 7 and 8)

drive thru car wash and it goes away for 10 miles or so. spraying oil and it goes away longer.

My questions:
    - Has anyone had the same issue and replaced the insulator pads? Did the issue go away?
    - How much of a pain was it? Being suspension I'm sure it requires torque to yield bolts and pre-loading the suspension to re-install.

Tempted to take it to the dealer and have them diagnose and fix, then possibly sending the bill to ODOT for reimbursement along with wheel straightening if needed.

A co-worker of mine with a Fiat Abarth said he hit his head on the roof of his car going over the transition and thinks it knocked the engine out of alignment on the mounts (belts squealed for a day until it re-positioned over time)
    I would make sure the springs are properly seated. I installed the H&R springs on my FoST and never had an issue. But on the front it did the same thing as yours. Just had to adjust the spring and all the noise went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cobb CAI
    Cobb RMM
    APv3
    Boomba Short Shift Arm
    Cobb Shift Plate
    Steeda Shifter Bushings
    Anarchy Motive Atlas Shift Knob
    18x8 TSW Mechanical
    245/40 18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport
    C-F-M Catless downpipe
    H&R Lowering Springs
    Cobb Symposer Delete
    Mountune FMIC & Charge Pipes
    K&N Air Filter

is Parking Garages never get old

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil1349 View Post

My questions:

I am running an aftermarket rear sway bar and have the same exact issues with noise. I am pretty sure it's the anti squeak pads you mentioned. I have sprayed with wd40 and it goes away for a day. I'll be changing suspensions, so I'll just replace them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    2014 Performance Blue ST3

CP-E Catback
    CP-E Catted DP
    CP-E Stage 2 RMM
    CP-E PSM
    CP-E FMIC
    Cobb APv3 with Randy's Tune
    Custom Heavy Shift Knob
    JBR Symposer Delete
    De-Badged
    Husky Floor mats
    Cobb Hangers
    Boosted Design Transmission Cable Bracket Bushings
    Breedt Shift Arm P4
    Headlight Armor Yellow Fog light overlays
    Hella Yellow Fog lights
    Gel Badge Overlays
    Custom front Euro Plate
    Strano Sway Bar (Middle Setting)
    245/40/18 PSS
    Dark Matter Designs Lip Spoiler

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    I am running an aftermarket rear sway bar and have the same exact issues with noise. I am pretty sure it's the anti squeak pads you mentioned. I have sprayed with wd40 and it goes away for a day. I'll be changing suspensions, so I'll just replace them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    You should take the bar back out and grease it between the bushing. I went a step further and even did between the mount and bushing. So when it does move it doesn’t make a sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bart likes this.
    Cobb CAI
    Cobb RMM
    APv3
    Boomba Short Shift Arm
    Cobb Shift Plate
    Steeda Shifter Bushings
    Anarchy Motive Atlas Shift Knob
    18x8 TSW Mechanical
    245/40 18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport
    C-F-M Catless downpipe