Lowering springs: FRPP vs. Mountune
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Lowering springs: FRPP vs. Mountune

Premium Member
    is the Atomic Punk!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lowering springs: FRPP vs. Mountune

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but here we go.
    I'm going to be going lower this year, so I'm looking at getting a set of Bilstein B8s. The question now is the springs: FRPP or Mountune?
    I like that the FRPPs have a much less aggressive drop than the Mountunes, but the ride quality concerns me as much as anything. It's been said that the B8/Mountune combo (old ClubSport) is just about the perfect balance of ride/handling, and that the FRPPs can be a bit harsher. I don't really want/need to go as low as the Mountunes (1"/1.4"); in fact, the FRPP (.3"/.6") is probably the better drop for the road conditions here in VT, but again, the ride quality is more important to me.
    Convince me to choose one over the other.
    Thanks for your input.
    Mike
    2014 Performance Blue ST2 // Charcoal/Blue Recaros // Moonroof #2,304 of 14,036

COBB Intake System // Magnaflow 15155 Cat-Back Exhaust // Steeda Street/Comp FMIC // Bigger Mouth Snorkel // Breedt Quick Shift Arm & FRPP Short Shifter // AP3 with Stratified tune // TSW Bathhurst Wheels with 245/40ZR18 Pilot Super Sports // Damond Motorsports Catch Can // Triple R Splitter // Steeda Jacking Rails

The Winter Ride: 1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon---251,000 miles and still going strong!

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the FRPP springs... same decision as yourself... I live on a hill, that is on a hill... so have to clear a little ground upon leaving the driveway (take the driveway out on an angle). So I cannot go too low here.

I will say this, I love the FRPP springs. their look for sure! and they ride SO much better than the stock springs - both comfort and performance. Their drop here was a little more than stated... so I eventually dropped almost level in height (the rear dropped more than the front - so looks correct!!). But I would say their drop was almost an inch maybe all around. Makes the SnowFlakes look soo much better, as far as fit. (still thinking some 18x9 rfp-1's in gold or bronze to really finish it off).

I started with Steeda rear end links... then the FRPP springs and brakes all around (just R1 concepts - no big brake kits yet...). Stock struts/shocks. 15k on the FRPP and no strut issues! added the Steeda rear sway bar (waiting on weather to break for the front swaybar and wheel alignement). I have designs on the Bilstein B8 all around also!

Not saying anything bad about the Mountune, as folks that have them love them too.

A friend near by has the mountune kit, Bilstein and springs, and his drop looks the same as mine. His ride feels very similar to mine own. So if you find a deal on one or the other, like Ebay for the FRPP springs, or ModBargains for the Mountune... go for it! In fact Modbargains has a good price on both the Bilstein kit, and the mountune springs... Just sayin If you can find a discount code for them, or call and ask, for 850 less a discount, hard to beat...

Premium Member
    is the Atomic Punk!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input--ModBargains is where I found the B8s. Any pics?

COBB Intake System // Magnaflow 15155 Cat-Back Exhaust // Steeda Street/Comp FMIC // Bigger Mouth Snorkel // Breedt Quick Shift Arm & FRPP Short Shifter // AP3 with Stratified tune // TSW Bathhurst Wheels with 245/40ZR18 Pilot Super Sports // Damond Motorsports Catch Can // Triple R Splitter // Steeda Jacking Rails

The Winter Ride: 1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon---251,000 miles and still going strong!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just the other day...
    Name:  My ST!!.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  2.53 MB

Name:  My ST!.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  3.17 MB

Premium Member
    is the Atomic Punk!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That certainly looks like more than 1/2" drop.

Premium Member
    is the Atomic Punk!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone else?

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the drop on the new mountune kit. It feels like a new car.
    Name:  IMG_20190130_160341.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  4.75 MB

I spend too much of my life on FST! JoshCrane1's Avatar
    is Trolling for noobs

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clubsport with B8's on 18x9's +40
    Name:  DSC_0010-2.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  1.85 MBName:  DSC_0008-2.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  1.95 MBName:  IMG_20180819_191731_439.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  2.85 MB
    14' IS ST1
    Roush Intake____Steeda Symp. Delete & Clutch Spring
    & Catback____GF07 18x9 Wheels
    Stratified 9.0-E30
    Mountune RMM_____Painted Center Lip & Mirrors
    Cobb SS Plate, Tranny & Cable Bushings
    Boomba BOV & Shifter__CF Exhaust Trim
    ITV22's__Eagle Eye Projectors
    JPC Clutchline
    ___Cup Spoilers
    Beast FMIC_____Vega Diffuser, Splitter, Spoiler
    VellosaTech Snorkel
    ___Aeroflow Canards, Skirts
    Clubsport Suspension
    Stoptech Slotted Rotors
    Catless DP
    TB F/R Traction Bars
    wiper delete

Premium Member
    is the Atomic Punk!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like Ford might have discontinued the M-5300-U spring set; it's no longer listed on the FRPP website.

Premium Member
    is the Atomic Punk!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up ordering the FRPPs from Tasca, and the B8s from ModBargains. The rear B8s are still on backorder, but I can do install until May anyway.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links