Air Suspension Q&A
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Air Suspension Q&A

I spend too much of my life on FST! Taz's Avatar
    is looking for someone to fit his
    arches and splitter.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air Suspension Q&A

I was going to make this a one off question thread, but maybe we can make this a Q&A thread for anyone thinking about buying air suspension? It'd be much better than starting multiple threads on the subject.

I'm more than planning on buying air suspension, 'cause I've already got the money waiting in my bank! In my case I'll be going for Air Lift's 3H kit. I think it'd be best for my purposes, because not only are these Air Lift kits made for performance cars, including racing, but it also has height sensors that adjust the height for extra loads.

So, my first question on the subject is simple really, what version should I go for? Firstly, I don't really need a polished tank because I'm hoping to hide it under the floor of the trunk. The tight confines of the bay also means I think it'd be better to go for the 4 gallon tank rather than the 5 gallon. I'll be going for the 3/8 air line because it raises the suspension faster. I've narrowed it down to two.

OPTION 1 or OPTION 2

The thing is, what's the difference between a 5-port tank and a 7-port tank? That's the only difference between those options, right?
    Last edited by Taz; 01-09-2019 at 11:36 AM.

Premium Member
    is here

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all I don't have air or ever run air, just looking at your options and learning about air ride now.

5 port vs 7 port - Appears to just be a tank difference which I'd assume is just the amount of air flow you will be able to push through the controller. More ports=more flow.

So for the same price I'd say the 7 port, though it sounds like you would have to run more air lines. Though you can always block off the two ports and make a 7 port tank a 5 port tank if you wanted.

Also it looks like at least one port will be used for the auto tank drain fitting.
    Last edited by elyk864; 01-08-2019 at 09:54 AM.
    Stratified Custom Tune (91 and E30) CPE Lightweight FMIC VelossaTech Intake Snorkel
    FSwerks Shift Bracket+Busings (40%) Wilwood FNSL6 14" NGK LTR7IX-11
    Green Filter Steeda RMM, TTR Upper Passenger Gloss black wrapped roof
    TSW Rivage 18X8 5-108 +40mm Husky Liner Floor mats (All) Global windows mod
    Fogs on with High Beam mod (Diode Dynamics XML2 Fogs) Limo tint rear, Front legal Proclip Pillar mount
    Led Interior lights Breedt APM

arches and splitter.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elyk864 View Post
    First of all I don't have air or ever run air, just looking at your options and learning about air ride now.

5 port vs 7 port - Appears to just be a tank difference which I'd assume is just the amount of air flow you will be able to push through the controller. More ports=more flow.

So for the same price I'd say the 7 port, though it sounds like you would have to run more air lines. Though you can always block off the two ports and make a 7 port tank a 5 port tank if you wanted.

Also it looks like at least one port will be used for the auto tank drain fitting.
    It is a bit of a learning curve that I'm figuring out myself. The amount of ports is confusing because they don't say why one has more ports than the other, or why they're the same price. I did find the following vid that helps explain the rest though.

elyk864 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

arches and splitter.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a reply from Air Lift this evening:

"With the tank we would not be able to tell you what would fit best. The 5 gallon tank is 36" long and 6" in diameter the 4 gallon tank is 30" long and 6" in diameter. For running 2 compressors the amount of ports you will need is determined by how you have it set up. There are quite a few ways to set it up with either the 7 or the 5 port tank."

The amount of ports you need depends on how you want to set it up, so logically the 7 port tank would give you more flexibility when it comes to installation. I've also been told that normally 5 ports are enough even if you want to have two compressors. Oh, and all the ports come sealed, so there's no problems if you don't use some.

Here's another vid on the Air Lift system:

Looking at their fitting of the system on their project car, and after being told that the 4 gallon tank is enough for the Focus ST, I think I'll go for that. My guess is that the 5 gallon tank is for larger vehicles.
    Last edited by Taz; 01-09-2019 at 11:40 AM.

is so mote be it

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also thought of going to air but never got to the planning stages, just when ever i see a used setup posted for sale

Slightly off topic but related. I wish Fortune would offer this for the Focus: https://fortune-auto.com/coilovers/airpistonliftsystem/

Instead of air bags, its an air piston setup that essentially acts as a spacer to raise the car 2". Uses a smaller 3gal tank and can be retrofitted on their existing coilovers. It doesnt sound like its designed to be driven on fully "aired up" as it would change the effective spring rates but I really only want it to get over obstacles. I would only need/want it for the front of the car too. Then the fact they can retrofit it onto your existing coilovers is appealing since I already use the 500's.

Fortune has told me the setup is not compatible, so this wont be come an option.
    Last edited by rambleon84; 01-09-2019 at 02:03 PM.
    Mod list here

arches and splitter.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, all's done! I've just ordered the 3H kit from Vivid Racing! I'll let you all know how things go. They're very helpful though, especially staff members Ahmed and Simone.

Quote Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
    I've also thought of going to air but never got to the planning stages, just when ever i see a used setup posted for sale

Slightly off topic but related. I wish Fortune would offer this for the Focus: https://fortune-auto.com/coilovers/airpistonliftsystem/

Instead of air bags, its an air piston setup that essentially acts as a spacer to raise the car 2". Uses a smaller 3gal tank and can be retrofitted on their existing coilovers. It doesnt sound like its designed to be driven on fully "aired up" as it would change the effective spring rates but I really only want it to get over obstacles. I would only need/want it for the front of the car too. Then the fact they can retrofit it onto your existing coilovers is appealing since I already use the 500's.

Fortune has told me the setup is not compatible, so this wont be come an option.
    Yep, we've covered those in other threads. I would've gone for them myself if they did them for the Focus ST. Unfortunately, they seem to be obsessed by German cars and especially ricers.

is so mote be it

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Well, all's done! I've just ordered the 3H kit from Vivid Racing! I'll let you all know how things go. They're very helpful though, especially staff members Ahmed and Simone.

Yep, we've covered those in other threads. I would've gone for them myself if they did them for the Focus ST. Unfortunately, they seem to be obsessed by German cars and especially ricers.
    Cant wait to see how the air install goes for you, should be nice! Yeah, when i reached out to Fortune they said it was due to a "physical limitation on the focus chassis."
    Mod list here

arches and splitter.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
    Cant wait to see how the air install goes for you, should be nice! Yeah, when i reached out to Fortune they said it was due to a "physical limitation on the focus chassis."
    As I was saying to a family member last night, it should solve a lot of my clearance problems, as well as getting a smoother ride. It's also got the bonus of being adaptable for race use. Because it's a good quality system I'll most likely avoid the leak problems some owners have with their air systems. I mean, you get what you pay for at the end of the day.

is still kickn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will love it. I brought the 3p kit about a year ago and couldn’t be happier. Only items I would suggest are adjustable swaybar endlinks and a smc check valve as the included viair valve likes to hang open in the winter. I did the install myself, if you have any questions let me know.
    Taz likes this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following this thread.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the 3P system. I'm a little hesitant on shelling out the cash for air ride, but I can't beat the look of it. It's something I've wanted since I got my Focus ST back in 2016.

Anyone have any tips on install for the 3P system with Air Lift struts? We installed the bilstein coilovers ourselves, and while it was time consuming, it wasn't terribly difficult. Just wondering if we are looking at a similar install, or if I should start looking for a professional.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links