Ford Focus ST Forum banner

The ST Exhaust Thread

1M views 5K replies 952 participants last post by  ddfred 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The most complete list of Exhaust systems for your 2013-2014 Focus ST. If you are a producer or a representative of a company that produces an exhaust system for the Focus ST, and you're exhaust is not on this list, or has incorrect information, please PM me and I'll update this post.

Brand:
Borla

Cost:
$879.64 - $785.39

Size/Type:

Advertised Power Gain:
N/A

Product Photo:

Video of Borla Cat-Back:

Brand: MagnaFlow

Cost:
~$659.99

Size/Type:
5 x 14in. Resonator; 5 x 14in. Muffler; 2.5in. Tubing; 4in. Polished Stainless Steel Tips; DUAL CENTER REAR EXIT

Advertised Power Gain:
HP gain is 9hp and TQ gain is 6ftlbs

Product Photo:

Video(s) of Magnaflow Cat-Back:

Brand:
Milltek

Cost:
~$848.41 Excluding VAT

Size/Type:
5 x 14in. Resonator; 5 x 14in. Muffler; 2.5in. Tubing; 4in. Polished Stainless Steel Tips; DUAL CENTER REAR EXIT

Advertised Power Gain:
N/A

Product Photo:
Muffler Automotive exhaust Auto part Metal Pipe

Material property

Video of Milltek Cat-Back:

Brand:
Flowmaster

Cost:
$750.53

Size/Type:
2.25 inch mandrel bent stainless steel tubing, and 3.25 x 3.75 inch oval polished stainless steel tips

Advertised Power Gain:
N/A

Product Photo:
Automotive exhaust Auto part Muffler Exhaust system Automotive super charger part

Video of Flowmaster Cat-Back:

Brand:
FSWERKS

Race Exhaust
Cost:
$679.95

Size/Type:

3" diameter mandrel bent T304 stainless steel tubing

Advertised Power Gain:
+8.6hp +2.2tq

Product Photo:

Stealth Exhaust
Cost: $749.95
Product Photo:

Installed Photo:

Video of FSWERKS Cat-Back:

Brand: Buschur Racing

Cost:
N/A

Size/Type:
We chose to do a 2.5" catback. The system is built entirely of 304 grade stainless steel and is mandrel bent. The tip is oval 3.5" x 6" that fits real nice in the rear bumper. There are reasons why we chose a 2.5" system and I realize everyone is going to want to jump on a 3" catback system.

Advertised Power Gain:
4 HP & 4TQ

Product Photo:

Installed Photo:

Video of Buschur Racing Cat-less turbo-back:
!

New from Mongoose Exhausts!

Brand: Mongoose Exhausts (available as cat back, turbo back with decat or turbo back with 100, 200 or 300 cell sports cat)

Cost: From $840

Size/Type: 3" system (tailpipe choices - 2x4" rolled in, 2x4" rolled in slash cut 2x5" rolled in slash cut, triple 3.5" rolled in or 2x4" carbon trims)

Product Image of Mongoose Exhaust:

Photo of Mongoose Exhaust Installed:

Video of Mongoose Exhaust:
Coming Soon

Brand:
cp-e™

Model
Austenite™ 3″ Dual Cat Back Exhaust

Cost:
$995.00 - $1170 (Optional Exhaust Tips)

Size/Type:
Full 3.00” mandrel bent 304 stainless steel, custom cast Stainless Flanges, reliable hangers, custom made Stainless Mufflers and polished stainless tips

Advertised Power Gain:
Gains: HP Dyno: http://cp-e.com/wp/product/focus-st-...back-exhaust/#
Torque Dyno: http://cp-e.com/wp/product/focus-st-...-back-exhaust/

Product Photo:

Video of Borla Cat-Back:

Brand:
mbrp

Model
Pro Series / XP Series

Cost:
$678.16 - $838.96

Size/Type:
3" Cat Back, Dual Center Outlet

Advertised Power Gain:
Gains: Dyno: http://mbrpautomotive.com/products/dyno/S4200.pdf

Product Photo:

Video of Borla Cat-Back:

[/CENTER]

See less See more
8 15
#5,101 ·
My 1320 catless DP arrived yesterday and my SRS CBE a couple days ago.. the Magnaflow will arrive the 27th.. unfortunately, I won't be able to get my tune until after the new year.. should I install everything any way??

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

#5,102 ·
I personally would wait till you have your tune in hand before installing the dp. If you felt like it installing your new cat back exhaust you should be fine. If you did install the dp I would drive it very easy until you get your tune, no high rpms. Both this car and my SRT I had tunes in hand before DP installs.

#5,103 ·
Ugghh.. ohh alright I'll wait.

Reactions: Algae Killer
#5,104 ·
Mine has been fine so far. Going to put in an order with Stratified after Christmas...or maybe today just to get in line. If you already have a tune coming, I guess I would wait...looking back, during my install, I would get the exhaust out of the way first. For some reason when I put my DP in, I left the stock exhaust in place and it was a pain...no idea why I didn't cut it out first, guess I got tunnel vision but the DP install will go much easier if you get the exhaust out of the way completely.

#5,105 ·
We need quality videos lol. I have a Borla and I’ve always wanted to upgrade to a true 3 inch catback.

#5,108 ·
I only had sound clips to go by. I bought my car in February and I live in the middle of nowhere Arizona. I've only seen 2 other ST's around and there both stock. I can't imagine anything being louder than the Flowmaster, look up the super 10 outlaw muffler, except a straight pipe which it almost is. I will prob be adding a second muffler\resonator or changing the one on it. I want loud but it is a little overboard although I really like it

View attachment DSC00466.jpg

#5,112 ·
Reactions: bp86
#5,113 ·
Yes..

Reactions: Juggernautjoe
#5,114 ·
Forgive my ignorance on this question. Turbo cars are new to me, so I'm learning as I go. If I go with a Turbo back or cat back system will I need a tune? It is just a daily driver for my wife. I didn't know how turbo cars react to exhaust system changes whether it's a turbo back or cat back system.
I know for ideal performance a tune is always recommended, but for a daily is a tune truly needed with just an exhaust upgrade.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

#5,115 ·
Cat-back, no.. downpipe(catted/catless), recommended but not necessary.

Reactions: Tobias
#5,118 ·
Vibrant #1142 or Magnaflow #12641.. Im running the same CBE with a catless dp and installed the Magnaflow #12641.. without a doubt it dumb-downed the drone significantly enough to enjoy extended commutes.. PM me if needed

#5,119 ·
Hope this is not the wrong place:
Looking for a nice new exhaust, end goal will be 300-320 engine horse power. Would a 2.5" exhaust be sufficiënt or do I need to look for a 3" ?

#5,120 · (Edited)
two and a half inch should be fine for those power numbers and there's generally less drone with smaller exhaust. I'm running a CNT v2 great bang for your buck. Dual resonator, 304 stainless, pretty much no drone at all at cruising speed on the highway until you add a downpipe. And it's only about four hundred bucks. You'll have to tweak it a little bit to get it to fit perfectly in that rattle on the heat shield near the rear axle but other than that it's no big deal. And like I said it's Cheep af.

#5,129 ·
Ive seen that picture before. It’s a legit setup but with how fast the stock turbo spoils up you will definitely want a higher PSI spring in there so you aren’t just straight piping all the time lol

#5,133 ·
I'm currently running the Ford Racing catback, but am considering going with something that will be quieter at moderate to full throttle. I'm considering Mountune, but wanted some feedback on the FSWerks Stealth.

Ideally I'd like to be able to hear the exhaust, but I'd like to stay under the radar and not attract too much attention. The Ford Racing catback gets quite loud at full throttle and will turn heads even at half throttle.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

#5,134 ·
Mountune is the happy medium, sounds good at wot and yet very subdued for dd & cruising.

#5,135 ·
Hey guys, just installed the Magnaflow catback system. I’ve driven it around 100 miles and love it so far. The build quality is top notch and the 4.5” tips look amazing. So far, I have not experienced any drone at all. The exhaust is not overbearing in any way but gets a decent amount of sound at full throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5,137 · (Edited)
Fitment was perfect. The kit actually came with a spare hanger isolator too. Mine is an 18 and does not have the 4th isolator with the stock exhaust, so that was a welcome addition instead of buying the Cobb isolators.

I did read that there were some issues with Fitment, however the solution that I read was that they were installing the initial pipe with the resonator turned the wrong way. Once they flipped the pipe around, their fitment was perfect. I was aware of that and payed close attention to placement and had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5,139 ·
It'd be interesting to see how that turns out. There's a lot I like about the FRPP exhaust.

I've been leaning to getting a Mountune as it's a known quantity. I'd like to preserve the Ford Racing catback for resale to help offset the cost.

#5,143 · (Edited)
I want to get custom exhaust done with flowmaster muffler where the stock resonator is. Which muffler should I get? I want a deep,burbling sound but not too raspy. Currently having catless dp ��
I would look at the dbx series or the pro series from flowmaster, both use laminar technology. I used the pro series shorty and really love the sound of my car and it get lots of good compliments. I have a catless dp with flowmaster outlaw catback. it was origionally very loud and raspy. After adding in the new muffler it sounds way different . louder than stock while cruising but not bothersome, deep tone, burbling letting off gas, lould in a nice deep tone when you step on it, no drone that bothers me at all. I think the pro series is available for 3" systems and the dbx is available for 2.5" systems, expensive but very nice flowmaster mufflers.

#5,147 ·
The Pro series muffler is supposed to help the droning it was real bad with just the outlaw cb by itself. Heres a little sound vid that sounds just like what I hear,. Vid took on a sony ar73 in hd not 4k.

#5,149 ·
I just finished installing the AWE Track Edition on my car last night, and it's loud. Like holy balls loud. I had been running a Magnaflow CBE for a while now, and loved how it sounded, but not that it was just 2-1/2". My car is big turbo and I'm planning to add aux fuel soon and shoot for low 400s, so I wanted to go to a 3" exhaust. Aside from buying the "conversion" kit from AWE, which is ridiculously priced for a piece of pipe and muffler IMO, what can I do to tone it down? Has anyone else done the same?

#5,150 ·
I dont know of anything you can do other than buy the kit or have an exhaust shop add a muffler to it. I have the track and a catted dp, I kinda hate myself lol! But it sounds so good that I kinda like it and wanna keep it. I really wanna get an exhaust made that has a valve so I can open and close it whenever I want.

#5,151 · (Edited)
Is there any way to get some sharp bangs from an exhaust without going for a resonator, muffler or cat delete?

Background:
I have a Bastuck 2,75" stainless exhaust with resonator and rear muffler and the equivalent 200 cell DP for it. I'm running a Stratified P&C map (loud version) and it gives me some pops on deceleration. Yet it's more like "blobbloblob", but I want some of them gunshot-like sharp bangs like the RS models (especially the Mk2) have.

Ideally, I want it to happen sporadically, not all the time as that would be pretty annoying.

#5,153 ·
This has probably been asked a hundred times, but is a catback upgrade only for the sound?

I'm interested in installing a 3" catted downpipe, while retaining the stock CBE. (I like the stock exhaust!)

I'm looking at going "stage 3ish". COBB have stated a full turbo-back is required for stage 3. Is this really the case, isn't the downpipe the only main restrictive pipe here?

Also, after putting a downpipe in, is a tune that takes the downpipe into account necessary straight after install? Will it throw out the ECU or something, warning lights etc?

If running an aftermarket intake, FMIC and downpipe, am I good for a stage 2 or 3 COBB tune? Will I need a custom tune?

#5,154 ·
This has probably been asked a hundred times, but is a catback upgrade only for the sound?
Mostly for the sound, I think.

I'm interested in installing a 3" catted downpipe, while retaining the stock CBE. (I like the stock exhaust!)
I'm looking at going "stage 3ish". COBB have stated a full turbo-back is required for stage 3. Is this really the case, isn't the downpipe the only main restrictive pipe here?
If running an aftermarket intake, FMIC and downpipe, am I good for a stage 2 or 3 COBB tune? Will I need a custom tune?
Go with a custom tune. Or at least an OTS map of a reputable tuner. Most of them are already way better than the Cobb OTS maps.
Also, they'll probably be able to give you a stage 3-ish map even with stock cbe.

Also, after putting a downpipe in, is a tune that takes the downpipe into account necessary straight after install? Will it throw out the ECU or something, warning lights etc?
If you have a catted downpipe and keep the o² sensor aktive, you shouldn't need a tune. My car didn't throw a code in 4 years.
If you go catless, you'll need a defouler and probably a tune as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.