Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Cold side charge pipes reviewed - JBR Cold Side Kit vs. CP-E Exhale Kit

28K views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  Duece McCracken 
#1 · (Edited)
Cold side charge pipes reviewed - JBR Cold Side Kit vs. CP-E Exhale Kit

Background
Wanted to give a little backstory so this review has some more context. I made the decision to upgrade to a GTX2867 a couple months ago and that I was going to want to run some sort of methanol system to keep my in-cylinder temps more in check. Naturally, since I knew I was also going to have to run an external BOV, I pretty much zeroed in on picking up either the JBR Cold Side Kit or the CP-E Exhale Kit. Since I was going for the JBR hot side kit, I figured I may as well get the JBR cold side as well so they would match. I had assumed they really couldn't be too different but I quickly learned that was not the case.

Cost
JBR
- $254 (with optional $35 symposer delete)

CP-E
- $238 (with EdgeAutoSport 5% forum discount)

Right out of the gate, CP-E gets this one. With the JBR kit, you have to add the $35 symposer delete if you want to tap into a true vacuum source for your BOV. The CP-E kit includes a MAPtap in the price, which is their solution to providing access to a true vacuum source.

Winner: CP-E

Packaging
JBR kit came in one big box with all the accessories in an oversized plastic bag and the t-bolt clamps in USPS flat rate boxes. Pipe was packed with your standard paper packing material.

CP-E kit came in one box with all the accessories in one big vacuum-sealed bag with each part sealed in its own little section. Pipe was packed with standard paper packing material.

I think the CP-E packaging is a touch nicer here so they get this one. Being fair, this is just packaging so it matters very little.

Instructions
JBR did not include any. Only a paper describing warranty limitations (which found it's way to the garbage at some point) and two stickers. If you want installation instructions, you have to go to their website and print them off on your own.

CP-E included full-color instructions as well as two stickers. The full-color instructions are very nice, there's a lot of detail in both the pictures and descriptions.

Accessories

- JBR kit includes
--- 4 T-bolt clamps
--- BPV block-off spring
--- Vacuum tubing
--- Zip ties
--- 2x vacuum plugs
--- Symposer delete (additional $35)

- CP-E kit includes
--- 4x T-bolt clamps
--- Sold milled BPV block off plate
--- Vacuum tubing
--- Zip ties
--- MAPtap adapter (installation pictures!)

I'll break this down into a couple subcategories.

Vacuum sourcing:
JBR makes you spend an additional $35 to get their symposer delete kit if you want to have a 1/8 NPT tap into a true vacuum source. So not only do you have to spend more money to get it, you have to remove your sound symposer too. For some people that's fine since they don't like the sound symposer, but I'm in the group of people who do. Either way, it's nice to have the option to keep it if you want and the CP-E kit is the only one that gives you that.

CP-E includes an adapter called a MAPtap in their kit. This is a little milled spacer that gets installed between the intake manifold and the MAP sensor that gives you a 1/8 NPT port for tapping into a true vacuum source.

BPV block off:
The solution JBR came up with was simply to include a stiffer spring in their kit that you install into the turbo in place of the OEM spring to "block-off" the factory BPV. Logic being that the stiffer spring will keep the BPV shut allowing only the external BOV to function. Unfortunately the spring they chose to include isn't stiff enough to function as they intended. What I was able to determine was that the spring they include is too light and lets the BPV crack open right at about 20 PSI and leak boost through the turbo's compressor side housing. You can read more about that saga of troubleshooting and experimentation starting here in my build thread.

The importance of the solid milled block-off plate that CP-E includes cannot be understated here. With the CP-E BlockD plate, you just install it in place of the factory BPV and you're done. The CP-E BlockD plate is such a vastly superior choice to that cheesy little spring JBR includes that this honestly is a no-brainer. If you are going to be running with the stock turbo or an EFR turbo, you would be well served to have a proper block off plate and the CP-E kit comes standard with one. If you were to purchase a block-off plate separately it will cost you roughly $30.

Silicon couplers:
JBR went with heavier, 5-ply silicon couplers that are very rigid. These are legit really nice and have a very sturdy feel to them.

CP-E went with lighter, 4-ply silicon couplers that are slightly more flexible. They also have a very sturdy feel to them but not quite as much so as the JBR couplers.

T-Bolt clamps:
As far as I could tell, the T-Bolt clamps included in both kits are essentially identical to each other aside from being slightly different in size. I haven't had any issues with the silicon couplers popping off with either kit.

Vacuum lines:
CP-E gives you a couple extra inches of vacuum line with their kit compared to JBR. Both lines are essentially the same, with the CP-E having a slightly larger ID.

Overall, the BlockD plate and MAPtap that are included in the price really seal this one up for CP-E. If for no other reason, the accessories alone should make the case for picking up the CP-E kit over the JBR kit.

Finish
- JBR is painted with a wrinkle coating and is 2.50" in diameter. The wrinkle coating JBR went with is honestly pretty nice, but it seems to scratch and scrape easier.
- CP-E is powder coated and 2.75" in diameter. The powder coating CP-E went with is also really nice and seems to resist scratching more effectively.

I don't really think the aesthetics of one is any better than the other, all other factors being equal, so I'm going to score this based on scratch resistance.

Fitment
JBR went with a smaller diameter pipe which allows for more movement and can cause the pipe to rub against the corner of the AC compressor. You'll see in one of the photos below I had to use a pallet zip tie to try to prevent this movement from wearing a hole right through the pipe. The JBR pipe also rubs against the base of where the oil filter gets installed. I noticed this might be an issue when I first installed the kit and tried to position the pipe in such a way to try to minimize or eliminate the rubbing but the angle of the pipe makes it really difficult to avoid. I really get the impression that JBR simply threw together some CAD designs and just started producing & selling them with very little or no real world testing. I rate the overall fitment of the JBR pipe as poor.

CP-E went with a bigger diameter pipe that, in my opinion, actually fits better. The larger diameter pipe and the longer silicon elbow from the intercooler force it to fit much more snuggly between the radiator shroud and AC compressor which effectively eliminates the movement and rubbing issues I was having with the JBR pipe. It basically fills the whole cavity between the fan shroud of the radiator and the AC compressor which ends up holding the pipe in place more securely, the only downside to this is that you have to be careful with t-bolt clamp placement but it's pretty easy to figure out what will work once your under the car. It also seems to have better clearance around the oil filter base as I have noticed zero rubbing right there. I've had the pipe installed for a week now and have not found any it rubbing or chaffing anywhere. I rate overall fitment of the CP-E pipe as excellent.

JBR Rubbing on the oil filter base.

JBR Rubbing on the AC compressor.

CP-E pipe doesnt rub anywhere on the AC compressor

Nor does it rub against the base of the oil filter

BOV flange
JBR's design sits the flange a little further down and angled more towards the oil filter.

CP-E's design puts the flange a little higher up and is angled more toward the AC compressor.

They are both positioned slightly different. At least for my setup, the CP-E pipe gave more clearance and a better fit with the Synchronic BOV. Welds on both are nice and clean. Flange height is just about identical with the CP-E being a smidge taller. Since my BOV has better clearances with the CP-E pipe, I'm giving this one to them. Not sure how they would compare with something like a Tial or HKS.

Methanol accommodations

This was a huge one for me and honestly the biggest factor for why I later picked up and installed the CP-E kit after already owning the JBR kit.

JBR
- Bung plug was installed ludicrously tight, to the point it was starting to strip out the threads right from the factory. I used the correct size allen key to try to remove it, but the plug was installed so tightly the key walls rounded off in short order. I ended up having to dremel a cut into the JBR plug so that I could use the broad edge of a paint scraper to slowly work the plug out. It was so tight it literally squealed while I was turning it out. It took me over two hours just to get that plug out.
- Methanol bung location is smack up against the silicon coupler for the throttle body once installed and positioned in such a way it's essentially impossible to reach the nozzle with the pipe still installed in the car.
- Bung thread depth is majorly concerning, the threads are far too deep. When I installed my DO5 nozzle in the JBR pipe, it was sitting somewhere around 3/8" too far recessed. This negatively impacted the conical spray pattern from the nozzle and caused atomization issues. I ended up having to dremel and file the bung down about 3/8" to get the nozzle tip to sit flush with the inside of the charge pipe. You can read more about that issue starting here in my build thread.

CP-E
- The bung plug was snug but came out without event. Took maybe 20 seconds to remove and that includes finding the right size allen key.
- The methanol bung location is much better. The bung is positioned further down, about halfway between the BOV flange and the throttle body. When you have a bung further downstream it gives the methanol/water mix more time to interact with the charge air. This results in lower charge air temps and better fluid atomization which means more even fluid distribution to each cylinder. You can also reach the methanol nozzle with the pipe still installed in the car, just remove the BOV and you can reach it from underneath.
- Bung thread depth on the CP-E pipe is much more shallow and was honestly perfect right out of the box. There were absolutely no modifications needed for the DO5 nozzle tip to sit flush with the inside of the charge pipe.

What the bung plugs looked like by the time I finally got them removed.

The beginnings of stripped out threads.

Already posted this pic but it really gives a good look at the difference in bung placement.

Installing a methanol nozzle on the JBR pipe.

Now installing the same nozzle into the CP-E pipe.

Customer support
JBR - Somewhat helpful at first when it was only the weak BPV spring I was having issues with. After I kept bringing more issues to their attention, they flipped the tables and tried to blame me and my skills (or as they claim, lack thereof) as the reason I was having problems. I approached them with loads of troubleshooting information, data, and pictures to verify my claims and they threw it all back in my face claiming that I was the problem. They eventually refused to accept that any of these were real problems and have since stopped communicating with me. I was never anything but respectful to them (albeit a bit frustrated) and they met my concerns with curt replies questioning my abilities and offering up zero solutions to any of my issues. In all honesty, their customer service is some of the worst I've dealt with in recent memory. They were rude, curt, and accusatory despite the fact I was nothing but factual and respectful to them. I plan to upload our full email chain shortly to something like Pastebin once I get sensitive info removed. My goal is to be as transparent as possible here to show that I was simply a customer who was having issues and wanted solutions that they were downright rude to. I want to make it abundantly clear that I'm not just someone trying to slander them. After this experience, I have no intention of ever installing more JBR parts on any of my cars.
Update - Spoke to James from JBR (tldr: refused to give a refund, hung up on me)

CP-E - Don't know, didn't have to contact them. There was a small delay in getting my order shipped out because, according to EdgeAutoSport, CP-E was having powder-coating issues. I ordered May 21 and received my kit Jun 24.

Summary (TL;DR)
I seriously can't find one comparison where the JBR pipe is better than the CP-E. Customer service concerns aside, the JBR kit itself has too many glaring issues and weak points for me to ever recommend this kit to anyone for any reason. If I had purchased this pipe from JBR directly I would have insisted on a full refund or I would have started a chargeback dispute with my bank. After the exceptional number of issues I had coupled with with their lame support I literally feel sick to my stomach that I wasted over $250 on this kit and now it's just going to end up in the garbage.

Based on the inclusion of the MAPtap, a solid BPV block off plate, the methanol accommodations, and overall fitment, the CP-E kit is clearly the better choice all around. I would strongly urge anyone looking for a cold side pipe to pick up the CP-E kit regardless of your current setup or long-term goals.

Sticking with the stock turbo? Get the CP-E kit.
Going with an ATP turbo? Get the CP-E kit.
Going with an EFR turbo? Get the CP-E kit.
Going to be running methanol? Get the CP-E kit.
Want something that fits? Get the CP-E kit.

--------

Check out my JBR Hot Side Charge Pipe Kit vs. CP-E 'Hotcharge' Kit review here!

--------

Edit1 - Added a "fitment" section.
Edit2 - Added a link to some MAPtap install pictures
Edit3 - Grammar and layout tweaks
Edit4 - Fitment section of the CP-E pipe updated

See less See more
#2 ·
#6 ·
I never had JBR one but I did have the cpe. And I would never buy it again. It was so tight in there. And banged against all kinds of stuff. I now have mountune cold side with bov mounted on hard side pipe. I do have jbr upper mounts though and had a little fitment issue on the upper engine mount.

#8 ·
Where did you have fitment issues? I would like to know so I can keep an eye on mine and see if I'm having any similar issues.

#13 ·
Appreciate the heads up! I will definitely be keeping an eye on mine and updating if it has fitment or rubbing issues.

#15 ·
Great write up, I have been thinking that I would want to cold side pipe when I change my intercooler. Glad to see and hear how good the CP-E products really are.

Reactions: psilynt
#16 · (Edited)
After this experience, I thinking I'm also going to be changing out my hotside pipe for the CP-E one as well. Their stuff is really well designed and fits like a glove!

#21 ·
I dropped the radiator support when I did mine and it definitely helps. It can be done without dropping it but I think it takes more effort that way, it's easier to just drop it and get the extra clearance.

#19 ·
Great write up, @psilynt.

The CPE Charge Pipe and Tial Q kit have been serving me well for three months now on my car. I use the Stage 2 RMM from CP-E as well and have never had a concern with the pipes banging around; though there isn't much wiggle room to start with. I give the setup two thumbs up!

Reactions: psilynt
#22 ·
Just out of curiosity, I wanted to hook up the MAPtap and run my Synapse valve off true vacuum for a few days just to see what difference it would make. I grabbed these pics a few days ago when I was making the changes.

The CP-E MAPtap is actually a pretty great little adapter. Install is super simple, fitment is just about perfect, and since it uses standard 1/8NPT threads I was able to keep my push lock vacuum line fittings! My BOV vented exactly like it should have so the MAPtap was definitely doing its job. Overall, a very nice alternative to the symposer delete kits for tapping into a true vacuum source.

Make sure you install the silver screw BEFORE installing the MAP sensor otherwise it won't fit.

#23 ·
Updated the first post with some more pictures of the CP-E pipe after a week of driving with it. So far, it fits perfectly with absolutely no rubbing or fitment issues of any kind. Really sad that I spent so much money/time/effort on that JBR pipe when the CP-E is perfect out of the box.

#24 ·
Well, I sent JBR a formal notice requesting a refund for the purchase price of both charge pipe kits ($398). Let's hope that they can be reasonable about this and process my refund without any unnecessary grief or headache. I will be sure to update this thread with the results of my refund request.

#25 ·
Well it's been almost a month and @Jamie@JBR has yet to even acknowledge my request for a refund. Not sure who to contact or how to even get a response out of them at this point. Such a disappointment.

#27 ·
@psilynt bummer about JBR's lack of a response. Not cool on their behalf.

However, do you have any complaints on the JBR Hot pipe? I picked one up new/used for a steal of a price, but haven't installed it yet. Should I look elsewhere?

#28 ·
I wrote a short review of my thoughts on the JBR hotside here. The short version is that I ended up removing and replacing the JBR hot side due to their mounting bracket design being quite flawed. The design allowed the pipe to sag and bang around.

#30 · (Edited)
Finally got to speak to someone at JBR after 2 months of trying to contact them for a refund through both email and phone. I got to speak to James himself, whose apparent only interest in contacting me was to chew me out for painting his company and products in such a negative light. He clearly started the conversation out with a bone to pick, he interrupted me numerous times, cursed at me, made sure to call CP-E products "garbage", and eventually hung up on me when I gave the ultimatum that we were going to talk about a refund or the conversation was over. I tried multiple times to give clarity around the issues I had but he refused to hear any of it. When I offered to send him datalogs to prove my claims, his response was, and I quote "datalogs don't mean ****, you could manipulate them". He obviously had absolutely zero intention of issuing any sort of refund and was quite simply just upset with me. I wish I would have thought to record the call because I am absolutely blown away that the owner of a company would behave in such an offensive manner.

#33 · (Edited)
Ehh, can't say I'm surprised with how much I put them on blast for it. Kind of figured I was grinding some gears ha. Just happy to be able to share my experiences so others don't have to go through it. Just glad this nonsense is coming to an end either way, positive or negative.

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
It’s with great reluctance that I make this post but I feel it’s necessary.

He contacted us with what he thought an issue with the spring we provide in our cold side kit. His setup was very unique, one we had no experience with therefore we did not dispute the issue. We worked with him and gave him a couple solutions until we could replicate his setup. It was explained to him that our shop car was in the middle of testing another product and that it would be a bit before we could get to it which he was fine with. Please note, no data was ever provided to us to support the problem he was having. We took him on his word and purchased the parts necessary replicate his setup.

He then contacts us about 2 months later about his cold side pipe not fitting and the depth of our meth bung being too deep causing conflict with the spray pattern of his meth injector. He was very, very condescending and made statements accusing us of never testing our products and that we simply CAD designed the part and started selling it. Oddly, neither was a problem 2 months prior. Please note, he took it upon himself to modify the piping and again no video of the conflict or data logs were provided to support the problem.
He then makes the review post of our hot side kit not fitting properly. This was never brought to our attention at anytime during our 2 months of prior communication.

We did speak today and never did I cuss or hang up on him. I also never said CP-e parts are garbage. In fact, I've met Josh and a few other folks from CP-e a couple of times over the years and hold them in very high regard.

No refund was offered for 2 reasons. One, he took it upon himself to make modifications to our product prior to reaching out to us and without being able to substantiate that there is in fact a problem. Two, never was any data offered to support the issues during our 2 months of communication. All we ever received was pictures.

In closing I’d like to point out the eerie absence of anyone else having similar issues with our hot and cold side piping kits that he has described in his reviews. No one in either review thread has posted that they too have had the same or similar issues.

#35 ·
Update time. Somewhere around the two year+ mark with the CPE cold side installed. Still no rubbing or fitment issues. T-bolt clamps have held without issue. Couplers have held strong and are still in great shape. I recently swapped my DO5 nozzle out for a DO7 and can confirm the location of the methanol bung on the CPE pipe made it a breeze, just popped my synapse valve off and I could reach the nozzle with room to spare.

Overall I seriously couldn't be happier with the CPE kit. JBR junk is still sitting in a box in my basement, likely going to give both the hot and cold pipes away for free here ... or maybe I'll send it out with the trash just to be rid of it.

I've had numerous people PM me over the last 2 years to thank me for this review, I really appreciate all the kind words sent my way. I'm really glad people are still finding value in my comparison! In that same time, I've also had a couple people PM me to commiserate about the garbage issues they've had with their JBR pipes including faulty welds, poor fitment, and other issues. Either way, happy to have feedback and to be able to contribute to the community!

#36 ·
Wow blown away by JBR the fact they wouldnt want to take the info and fix their pipe, clearly there is a fitment issue at the very least with their cold side pipe and the meth bung location. Then JBR posts ONE comment of someone likkng their pipe and even still that comment has a complaint about its fitment in it. @psilynt cant believe he offered datalogs and other data and then JBR says he was never offered these things, i dont doubt for a second that he swore and cussed and blamed you for being the problem thats one self made manufacturers do. I mean you can look at the side by side of cpe and jbr and see theres going to be a serious fitment problem with the way pipe bends from weld locations and the then yes the meth bung looks like itd be all but covered by the coupler. Then the bullshit about 2 months to complain clearly he was doing a full review of both products on the forum and i felt it was a very honest one and i saw everything he said was a problem i could clearly see in the pictures were a real problem, fitment, meth bung local, and depth, that stuff is all visible from the pictures, i do not doubt one bit JBR teashed CPE in their convo with OP and instead of saying yes we have been informed there are some fitment issues with our charge pipes he trys to make it sound like no one has ever had issues which is the exact opposite, you can go all over this site and find people that say their charge pipes rub and wobble and bang against crap. But no OP is the only one who has ever had a problem and is making it all up...come on be a reputable manufacturer, that means if **** dont work be honest and give the refund, if your so sure its good, once you get stuff back you can resell it again, coz remember theres no issues with it.

#38 ·
Wow blown away by JBR the fact they wouldnt want to take the info and fix their pipe, clearly there is a fitment issue at the very least with their cold side pipe and the meth bung location. Then JBR posts ONE comment of someone likkng their pipe and even still that comment has a complaint about its fitment in it. @psilynt cant believe he offered datalogs and other data and then JBR says he was never offered these things, i dont doubt for a second that he swore and cussed and blamed you for being the problem thats one self made manufacturers do. I mean you can look at the side by side of cpe and jbr and see theres going to be a serious fitment problem with the way pipe bends from weld locations and the then yes the meth bung looks like itd be all but covered by the coupler. Then the bullshit about 2 months to complain clearly he was doing a full review of both products on the forum and i felt it was a very honest one and i saw everything he said was a problem i could clearly see in the pictures were a real problem, fitment, meth bung local, and depth, that stuff is all visible from the pictures, i do not doubt one bit JBR teashed CPE in their convo with OP and instead of saying yes we have been informed there are some fitment issues with our charge pipes he trys to make it sound like no one has ever had issues which is the exact opposite, you can go all over this site and find people that say their charge pipes rub and wobble and bang against crap. But no OP is the only one who has ever had a problem and is making it all up...come on be a reputable manufacturer, that means if **** dont work be honest and give the refund, if your so sure its good, once you get stuff back you can resell it again, coz remember theres no issues with it.
And YOU, mister paragraph, are you following this at all? Do you need a lesson in reading comprehension? The datalogs were for the spring, first of all, and second of all half the **** you just said is just mushed together and without any semblance of clarity. Jesus Christ, you people are vultures.

Reactions: Wi11iam
#39 · (Edited)
@Jamie@JBR might have "cursed" in his phone conversation... I would too if this sniveling little snape of a man went about trashing my company before giving me a chance to work with him and then claiming I wasn't working with him. This is obviously some virtue signalling diaper wearing crybaby, no one who has a grown man penis is gonna see JBR as actually doing much wrong here.

Reactions: Wi11iam
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.