Cobb TC limiting boost?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By aaronc7

Thread: Cobb TC limiting boost?

is wantin' more boost.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cobb TC limiting boost?

I got Freektuned and got two maps. One without the Cobb TC, and one with Cobb TC defaulted to mode 4.

If I give it the goose in 3rd gear with the Cobb TC at like 50mph, it only goes up to like 18 psi whereas with Cobb TC off it holds the 23psi all the way. For some reason the car "feels" slower with Cobb TC on, but definitely hooks up better. I know tire spin can cause the car to be slower with the TC off, but it just feels less "oomph" with the TC on.

Is this normal for the Cobb TC to cut boost? I feel like it can give some more boost in 3rd. 4th I have no problems. Also - anyone think all the timing being pulled can cause long term damage to the engine?
    __________________________________________________ __________
    2018 HPR ST1 : Freektuned with Roush CBE, Green Filter, DD SL1 LED

I spend too much of my life on FST! mitch808's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you read this?
    https://www.cobbtuning.com/ford-cobb-traction-control/

I'd suggest you ask your tuner what he/she did to tune TC. They can program it any which way they think is optimal.

Premium Member
    is wishing he was hammock camping
    somewhere

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IcyFridge View Post
    I got Freektuned and got two maps. One without the Cobb TC, and one with Cobb TC defaulted to mode 4.

If I give it the goose in 3rd gear with the Cobb TC at like 50mph, it only goes up to like 18 psi whereas with Cobb TC off it holds the 23psi all the way. For some reason the car "feels" slower with Cobb TC on, but definitely hooks up better. I know tire spin can cause the car to be slower with the TC off, but it just feels less "oomph" with the TC on.

Is this normal for the Cobb TC to cut boost? I feel like it can give some more boost in 3rd. 4th I have no problems. Also - anyone think all the timing being pulled can cause long term damage to the engine?
    Timing being pulled happens a lot unrelated to traction control btw, it is a damage prevention measure the car uses when it detects knock...so that may alleviate some of your concerns. It just senses that you are having wheel spin and it cuts a little power, which in itself is a harmless process. If you adjust the Cobb TC and put it on like mode 3 or mode 4 it will be less active...give it a shot to see if you like that more.

As far as understanding how the Cobb TC works (which, mind you, is much better than the stock TC using the damn brakes) definitely read the link @mitch808 posted above. As mentioned above...If Freek modified it similarly to Stratified, they probably just changed the default setting since the Accessport puts you on mode 1 and every single time you start the car you have to change it manually (unless they recently changed this). Strat puts it on Mode 4 I think, like I recommended in the beginning of my reply. This allows more slip compared to the default setting which I think tries to stop ALL slip and cuts too much and slows you down compared to allowing a little slip like mode 4. Play around based on what tires you have or contact Freek to see if they tweaked/will tweak it for you accordingly.
    2014 Performance Blue ST3

Stratified 93Oct Tune - AP v3
    CP-E 3.5" FMIC
    Depo Racing Catless DP
    MBRP CBE
    Cobb RMM, CAI
    AEM DryFlow Air Filter
    Boomba Racing Wing Risers and BOV
    VelossaTech Rear Diffuser Fins
    Rally Armour Mud Flaps
    Headlight Armor Yellow Fogs
    NGK LTR7IX-11 Spark Plugs
    Subdued Flag Decals (2) with Thin Blue Line

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

is wantin' more boost.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brian60 View Post
    Timing being pulled happens a lot unrelated to traction control btw, it is a damage prevention measure the car uses when it detects knock...so that may alleviate some of your concerns. It just senses that you are having wheel spin and it cuts a little power, which in itself is a harmless process. If you adjust the Cobb TC and put it on like mode 3 or mode 4 it will be less active...give it a shot to see if you like that more.

As far as understanding how the Cobb TC works (which, mind you, is much better than the stock TC using the damn brakes) definitely read the link @mitch808 posted above. As mentioned above...If Freek modified it similarly to Stratified, they probably just changed the default setting since the Accessport puts you on mode 1 and every single time you start the car you have to change it manually (unless they recently changed this). Strat puts it on Mode 4 I think, like I recommended in the beginning of my reply. This allows more slip compared to the default setting which I think tries to stop ALL slip and cuts too much and slows you down compared to allowing a little slip like mode 4. Play around based on what tires you have or contact Freek to see if they tweaked/will tweak it for you accordingly.
    Freek set it to default to mode 4. I was talking to someone on Reddit and they stated that peak boost comes under 3k rpm usually in 3rd. Gave it a try and got full boost. But trying above 3k doesn't go as high. Maybe a safety measure to prevent too much overboost?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ __________
    2018 HPR ST1 : Freektuned with Roush CBE, Green Filter, DD SL1 LED

I spend too much of my life on FST! aaronc7's Avatar
    is needing the v8 powa

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This little turbo is maxed out, so generally the lower the rpm, the more boost you will get. So yes, if you start a pull at a higher rpm the max boost will be lower as shown on the AP. Cobb TC should have no play in boost.
    brian60 likes this.

Premium Member
    somewhere

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IcyFridge View Post
    Freek set it to default to mode 4. I was talking to someone on Reddit and they stated that peak boost comes under 3k rpm usually in 3rd. Gave it a try and got full boost. But trying above 3k doesn't go as high. Maybe a safety measure to prevent too much overboost?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    Well here is something to consider...peak boost only hits for a second and falls off quickly...and you're also not really supposed to build a lot of boost below 3k rpm otherwise you may experience LSPI and blow a ringland (which is no doubt the #1 killer of this platform)...so safety measure is a possibility...but not for overboost. There is however overboost and boost limits since the car isn't supposed to go over a certain mark depending on tune. A proper tune with good weather and conditions may not need 23psi to hit the targeted 270whp/350wtq for example. If you can get those numbers within a margin of safety at only 21psi at a certain RPM it'll not go higher than that. So this makes testing situations like this tricky...especially since sometimes hitting good power numbers doesn't feel as fast as a tune that instantly builds a ton of boost a little less safely and ends up not hitting higher than like 260whp or something. Lots of variables.

I'd say if you feel there is a genuine issue...I forget if Freek charges to look at revisions, but definitely reach out and have them look at a datalog or two where boost acts weird and see what their thoughts are. Or at the very least, post the datalog on datazap and upload it here on the forums for us to take a glance at. There may be some underlying stuff going on to explain it, but like I said with all the variables, this is a tricky one to figure out.

CP-E 3.5" FMIC
    Depo Racing Catless DP
    MBRP CBE
    Cobb RMM, CAI
    AEM DryFlow Air Filter
    Rally Armour Mud Flaps
    Subdued Flag Decals (2) with Thin Blue Line

Premium Member
    somewhere

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    This little turbo is maxed out, so generally the lower the rpm, the more boost you will get. So yes, if you start a pull at a higher rpm the max boost will be lower as shown on the AP. Cobb TC should have no play in boost.
    And yeah as aaronc7 said...as long as you aren't spinning (you probably aren't in 3rd unless your tires are garbage, it's freezing, or it's wet) then TC should have no affect on boost.

If you're spinning somehow in 3rd gear...then it technically would affect boost (since it pulls ignition timing, which means the car won't pull as much boost since it won't need it)...but it's incredibly unlikely in 3rd gear at those RPMs

CP-E 3.5" FMIC
    Depo Racing Catless DP
    MBRP CBE
    Cobb RMM, CAI
    AEM DryFlow Air Filter
    Rally Armour Mud Flaps