Focus st 5.9 0-60...MS3 5.1 0-60 uhh???
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Focus st 5.9 0-60...MS3 5.1 0-60 uhh???

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Focus st 5.9 0-60...MS3 5.1 0-60 uhh???

Ok im usually pretty good at agreeing and understanding paper racing..LOL you know weight to horsepower ratio and all that good stuff! But this one has me stumped! Alot of guys go to 0-60 times.com to check vehicle speeds track times. And just form reading different posts and results on other forums it seems the MS3 even tho god awful ugly is pretty quick car! But my question is WHY? And how is it suposidly quicker then the new ST? here is the paper racing specs.. They are both FWD the MS3 Weights 3,281LBS 5 door 6 speed manual 263hp 280ft tq time..5.1 0-60 according to the above mentioned web site. Focus ST weights 3,223LBS so 60 lbs less.. 5 door 6 speed manual 252hp 270ft tq so a hair less power.. and 5.9 0-60 according to 0-60times.com! So tell me if that sounds crazy our car weights less and only has 10 hp and 10 less ft of tourq and its 8 tenths of a sec slower???? There is no friggin way!! If it is true someone please explain why. And from everything i read the ST is way more refined and technalogically advanced compaired to the MS3 in handling and it even looks more sleeker and aero dynamic which would help even more! So again how are we .8 slower?? For real?

is having traction issues!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proper racing involves corners.........just sayin!

Anyway, CG position, weight transfer and diff tuning play a big part in getting FWD cars off the line. As you say the Focus is more refined and rides better and this comes at the expense of standing start traction. In the real world, mid range in-gear performance is way more interesting and important than 0-60 anyway, especially for a street car.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes i know the handling and mid range power is more important in the real world and the ST has a monster long tourqe curve compaired to the MS3 but man thats still a huge difference in 0-60 between the 2 with power specs so close and weight! I just have a hard time believing that the MS3 I that much faster especially since Ford pretty much made that car! As far as traction that has alot to do with the wheels as wheel. Are the stock wheels on the ST to slippy compared to the stock MS3? And whats the gear ratio difference between the 2? IDK it just dosent add up to me! I could see .3 tenths whith the stuff you named but .8?? Still scratching my head!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

I spend too much of my life on FST! chris1450's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheZman View Post
    Yes i know the handling and mid range power is more important in the real world and the ST has a monster long tourqe curve compaired to the MS3 but man thats still a huge difference in 0-60 between the 2 with power specs so close and weight! I just have a hard time believing that the MS3 I that much faster especially since Ford pretty much made that car! As far as traction that has alot to do with the wheels as wheel. Are the stock wheels on the ST to slippy compared to the stock MS3? And whats the gear ratio difference between the 2? IDK it just dosent add up to me! I could see .3 tenths whith the stuff you named but .8?? Still scratching my head!
    LOL read Car & Driver for the comparison of teh ST to the GTI. The GTI equal to and better in some acceleration tests and it only has 200 HP. The GTI is 200 lbs lighter... but that shouldn't be enough to make up a 52 hp deficit

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1450 View Post
    LOL read Car & Driver for the comparison of teh ST to the GTI. The GTI equal to and better in some acceleration tests and it only has 200 HP. The GTI is 200 lbs lighter... but that shouldn't be enough to make up a 52 hp deficit
    200lbs is alot and does make a difference. Also the GTI is smaller and only a 2 door which also makes a difference. Alot more nimble! I dont even think the cars should be compared. A 2 door ford focus RS would be a better comparison. Besides the new 2013 GTI has 260 hp! It should be a quick little thing! I was comparing the MS3 to the ST cause they are very similar and with the MS3 being a little heavier and have only 10hp more but being .8 tenths quicker just had me scratching my head big time!

I spend too much of my life on FST! kflaig's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the answer is that you can't believe everything that you read.

I certainly wouldn't put much faith in comparing a 0-60 time that one publication gets on one car with one driver on one day on one track to the time that another publication gets on another car using a different driver on a different day and a different track. Way too many variables even before you factor in the honesty of the reporter.
    Disi likes this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kflaig View Post
    I think the answer is that you can't believe everything that you read.

I certainly wouldn't put much faith in comparing a 0-60 time that one publication gets on one car with one driver on one day on one track to the time that another publication gets on another car using a different driver on a different day and a different track. Way too many variables even before you factor in the honesty of the reporter.
    Oh i agree with you 100%.. but .8 is huge difference even on another track, different temps and any other variables! 0-60times.com is usually right on tho so it bothers me! Look at their ST time 5.9 thats the fastest test time out of all the reviews ive seen! So its not like their bias. There times are usually dead on or close!

Premium Member
    is just doing stuff.

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Oh i agree with you 100%.. but .8 is huge difference even on another track, different temps and any other variables! 0-60times.com is usually right on tho so it bothers me! Look at their ST time 5.9 thats the fastest test time out of all the reviews ive seen! So its not like their bias. There times are usually dead on or close!
    I agree with what everyone's posting here. I don't trust magazines anymore since their intent is to sell you subscriptions and magazines. The internet isn't much better since a there's lot of unchecked facts being thrown around in cyber space.
    gdonley308 likes this.
    2013 #2008,#349 of 2286 in PB ST2, Mountune CBE, CAI, DP, Strut Tower Brace, FRPP shifter, K&N filter, Steeda rear sway/strut tower bars, 3M clear bra, WeatherTechs w/ST badges, Zunsport grill kit, Tail of the Dragon decals, Hoonigan crash bar!
    2015 Tuxedo Black FiST ST1
    2016 Steath Grey RS2 delivered 31AUG2016!

2013 Focus ST Performance Blue

I spend too much of my life on FST! kflaig's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at their ST time 5.9 thats the fastest test time out of all the reviews ive seen! So its not like their bias. There times are usually dead on or close!
    Hmm, I think you're on to something and that my assumption that the 0-60 time differences are not real might just be wrong.

That leaves us with what seems like an unexplainable inability of the ST to get a 0-60 time as good as should (and that's a "on paper" should). Right?

OK, first the disclaimer which is that I know nothing about drag racing.

I wonder if the torque-vectoring part of the ST's brain, the part that uses the front brakes to reduce torque steer even when the stability control/traction control is set all the way off, has something to do with this?

Seems reasonable the torque steer is going to be more of a problem at low speeds which means that the brain is going to be adding brake to correct it. I'm no rocket scientist but I can't figure out a way that using the brake is going to do anything good for acceleration.

Am I missing something?

I spend too much of my life on FST! EndlessSea's Avatar
    is Dropping automotive knowledge
    since 1999

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Expatbrit View Post
    Proper racing involves corners.........just sayin!
    Says every owner of a slow car in history! Just sayin..... Haha just kidding mate corners is where it's at. That's why I sold my stang and got an ST!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links