Catless DP AFTER Exhaust...Sound Question? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Catless DP AFTER Exhaust...Sound Question?

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1LoudST View Post
    I noticed about 20% louder, 5% deeper, and about 30% more drone.

MBRP 3" catback with a Depo Racing catless DP

I will say this, coasting down, the crackles and pops are just heavenly!

Can you run the crackles and pops tune with a 100 cell catted downpipe? And even if you can will it damage the cat?

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G heinrich View Post
    Can you run the crackles and pops tune with a 100 cell catted downpipe? And even if you can will it damage the cat?
    any tune dumping fuel down the exhaust will damage a cat, imho highflow cats are a waste of money, just go catless, its cheaper, and it wont break like a hiflow cat will(they always die faster than your factory cat will)

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luigi90210 View Post
    any tune dumping fuel down the exhaust will damage a cat, imho highflow cats are a waste of money, just go catless, its cheaper, and it wont break like a hiflow cat will(they always die faster than your factory cat will)
    Well I've already ordered the catted downpipe. My issue is I still have to show all the monitors ready 4 inspection every year which I know I'll still have to run a defiler but at least want it to look like there's something there if they look.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

Super Moderator Duece McCracken's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is boosting again, but that 5spd
    life, ugh.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Well I've already ordered the catted downpipe. My issue is I still have to show all the monitors ready 4 inspection every year which I know I'll still have to run a defiler but at least want it to look like there's something there if they look.
    To be honest, i always tell people to go catless, and run a defouler. You will most likely need a defouler anyway, to pass emmissions. Which is why you need to get familiar with a local auto mechanic. Mine charges me a coffee and bagel to overlook my catless ridiculousness. Networking is the way to go. Another point, a proper mechanic is hard to come by, i dont trust anyone with my car.

Direct quote feom my tech " I'm not your mechanic, I only do inspections and alignments, this is your baby" This coming from one of my best friends, lol
    217og likes this.
    Owner and lead tech of Duece's Wrenchworx. The one stop shade tree ST shop.

Build thread - https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-duecette.html

is popping clutches, not collars

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you run the crackles and pops tune with a 100 cell catted downpipe?
    Sure, I ran it with the OEM cat for a while before I went catless. the cat will muffle it a little bit, a 100 cell will muffle it less(by a good amount if I had to guess) that the OEM one does. but its doable, Strat just reccoments that you have an aftermarket turbo back exhaust.

if you can will it damage the cat?
    thats a tough one to say long term. Strat has said that it shouldn't damage anything. however I have a hard time believing that it doesn't put some kind of extra stress on it. it may be fine, it may only take 1 year instead of 10 before it will be due for replacement.
    Last edited by 1LoudST; 03-07-2019 at 04:34 PM.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1LoudST View Post
    Sure, I ran it with the OEM cat for a while before I went catless. the cat will muffle it a little bit, a 100 cell will muffle it less(by a good amount if I had to guess) that the OEM one does. but its doable, Strat just reccoments that you have an aftermarket turbo back exhaust.

thats a tough one to say long term. Strat has said that it should damage. however I have a hard time believing that it doesn't put some kind of extra stress on it. it may be fine, it may only take 1 year instead of 10 before it will be due for replacement.
    https://youtu.be/vIAG2hLYQ4c?t=78

thats what happens when you dump fuel through a cat whether its from a popping tune(antilag) or a 2 step, it won't break it right away but it will eventually break it
    Last edited by luigi90210; 03-07-2019 at 03:29 PM.

I spend too much of my life on FST! Kranny's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luigi90210 View Post
    https://youtu.be/vIAG2hLYQ4c?t=78

thats what happens when you dump fuel through a cat whether its from a popping tune(antilag) or a 2 step, it won't break it right away but it will eventually break it
    stratified said themselves they do not add extra fuel to create the noise. they adjust exhaust cam timing iirc

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Late to the party but wanted to throw in my super timely hindsight wisdom. Moderate to major regret. I wish I’d read more about downpipes before buying. I ignorantly thought that a high flow catted dp would do the job of the factory one but with less restriction.

Wrong.

I can run about an hour or two before the car throws the dreaded 420 with the COBB unit. I’m going to have to run a defouler anyway it seems so I wish I’d just gone in full rowdy and run catless. A $500 dollar mistake because who tf wants a used high flow catted dp? Exactly no one.
    2016 ST3
    Mountune FMIC
    COBB RMM
    COBB AP
    COBB CAI
    COBB Catted Downpipe
    Mountune Symposer Delete
    Mountune Catback Exhaust
    Mountune Sport Springs
    Quaife ATB LSD
    Denso Iridium ITV22 Spark Plugs
    ATP GTX2867r Gen2 .64
    cp-e Exhale Cold Charge Pipe
    Tial Q BOV
    Radium Engineering Dual Catch Can
    COBB Surgeline Custom Tune
    Baby Trend Rear Facing 30lbs Limit (upgrading soon!)

I spend too much of my life on FST! mmst3's Avatar
    is always modding

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shacker View Post
    Late to the party but wanted to throw in my super timely hindsight wisdom. Moderate to major regret. I wish I’d read more about downpipes before buying. I ignorantly thought that a high flow catted dp would do the job of the factory one but with less restriction.

Wrong.

I can run about an hour or two before the car throws the dreaded 420 with the COBB unit. I’m going to have to run a defouler anyway it seems so I wish I’d just gone in full rowdy and run catless. A $500 dollar mistake because who tf wants a used high flow catted dp? Exactly no one.
    I got my high flow catted dp from a friend who didnt like it anymore. So I bet someone would take it off your hands. He even installed it for me lol

'17 MAGNETIC METALLIC ST3
    Turbosmart 50/50 BOV
    AWE Tuning Track Edition
    CJPP High Flow Catted Downpipe
    Maxton Design RS Rear Valance
    Maxton Design Front Splitter/Lip
    RS Summer/Winter Wheels
    Delta Styling Wing
    Airlift 3P

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shacker View Post

Wrong.

My 100 cell was under $250. You can get a catless DP from Depo for $189. I reverted back to stock for my emissions test and didn't have any problems although with stage 3 bolt ons and a stock tune it runs like complete garbage got -3.8 corrections. It also gave him her own free catback a little drone with the slightest throttle input. And when wide open throttle it's definitely louder.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links