Ford Focus ST review - can it stand up to the Hyundai i30 N?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Coolpool
  • 1 Post By Aristocrat Autosport
  • 1 Post By Aristocrat Autosport

Thread: Ford Focus ST review - can it stand up to the Hyundai i30 N?

Premium Member
    is just doing stuff.

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Ford Focus ST review - can it stand up to the Hyundai i30 N?

Name:  ford_2019_focus_st_orange_fury_20.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  97.7 KB

by John Barker, 3 Jul 2019

Verdict: The Focus ST is characterful, fast and capable: everything it needs to be to take on the class leaders

Evo Rating: Four out of 5 stars

For: Dynamic and capable, strong engine

Against: Canít tailor (optional) drive mode features

A few weeks ago, we got a rapid ride in the new Focus ST at Fordís Lommel test track in Belgium. We drove it too, but we couldnít write about it until now... when weíve also driven it for a whole day on some great roads in the south of France. The last-generation ST didnít really cut it, but not only is the new model more powerful, with 276bhp, anti-lag and a skipload of torque, it also has the features it needs to run with the big dogs of the class, namely adaptive damping and an electronic limited-slip differential.

Engine, transmission and 0-60 time

The STís four-cylinder turbocharged 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine delivers 276bhp and 310lb ft of torque, fed through a six-speed manual (with a shorter throw action) gearbox, with a seven-speed DCT option to come before the end of the year. For improved throttle response the motorís twin-scroll turbo features anti-lag in Sport and Track driving modes. This, combined with the engineís generous torque, makes the ST quicker than the RS in the mid-range, says Ford. Claimed figures are zero to 62mph in 5.7sec, with the estate version a tenth slower.]

Technical highlights

As well as adaptive damping, the chassis of the new ST is also 10mm lower and has springs that are stiffer front and rear by 20 and 15 per cent respectively. It has an ĎeLSDí ó effectively an electronically controlled limited-slip differential ó which is supplemented by torque vectoring. The STís is just two turns lock-to-lock and its 18- and 19-inch Michelin Pilot Sport tyres have been developed to give precise, strong steering response and a chassis balance that makes the rear of the Focus mobile in an exploitable way. The ST also uses an electric brake booster (EBB) that adapts and keeps feel consistent, even in extreme circumstances.

Name:  ford_2019_focus_st_orange_fury_28.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  109.6 KB

Whatís it like to drive?

Within the confines of the Lommel proving ground we were able to get to the STís limit of grip and experience its strong, outright dynamic character: lots of grip and no understeer, no matter how hard you pushed. One of the key dynamicists on the ST project, David Put, asked why youíd build in understeer and let the car run wide, potentially across the white line, when you can have a very agile car with a mobile rear and contain it with stability control?

So the ST feels very agile, very eager, right up to and over the limit. Pick up the throttle ahead of the apex and thereís almost instant torque flowing through the front tyres, hauling the car hard through the turn, the eLSD subtly managing torque distribution. Alternatively, back out of the throttle before the apex and the tail comes round, gently and progressively, making it a tool to be used on demand. The feistier the drive mode, the stronger the characteristics, with Track mode disarming stability control, hence its name.

Public roads are another thing entirely and present a different challenge. You get the odd clear-sighted corner where you can commit the car, but generally youíre driving with a lot in reserve. To get into a rhythm and have fun you crave more subtle attributes such as calmly precise steering, a throttle thatís sharp but not abrupt, easily modulated brakes, an unflustered ride, good chassis balance and great traction. Happily, the Focus ST has all of these.

Two turns between lock stops sounds lively, but the Focus is such a well-balanced, well-rounded dynamic package that it all melds into a keen but unnervy experience. On the demanding roads behind Nice, the Focus feels quite at home, its superb engine quick to respond and strong on low-and mid-range torque, its chassis grippy and poised and its steering direct. Only a couple of times during the day do I steer keenly into a turn with lots of momentum and induce some of that rear mobility so strongly evoked at Lommel, and it felt a bit odd.

Name:  ford_2019_focus_st_orange_fury_09.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  120.3 KB

We are on great roads, always twisting and a challenge to read, to find the optimum line, but they are also generally well surfaced. At Lommel, on a busy surface, the character change from Normal to Sport mode was a transformation, the car instantly firmer and busier. Here, itís not nearly as obvious, but Sport does also bring superb, keener throttle response, and firmer steering weight as well as tighter damping. The road surface is so good for quite a few miles I am even in Track mode, the damping deliciously taut.

The drive modes ó Slippery, Normal, Sport and Track ó come as part of the £800 Performance Pack, which also brings rev matching, upshift lights and launch control, and we reckon itís a must have, to have access to the full range of damping. On a UK B-road, Sport would literally be a tough choice, which is why the mode option should come with a Ďcustomí setting, as its rivals do, to set individual attributes, because once youíve tried the Sport throttle, you want it all the time.

The brakes, initially numb on moderate applications, get better during the day, and I really enjoy the speaker-generated engine noise enhancement, especially the classic twin-cam chug under heavy load in Sport and Track. Downsides? The gearshift is merely good, occasionally baulking on demanding downshifts, while the pedal spacing for me is poor for heel-and-toe (the rev matching solves this problem), and the steering, although ever direct and great around the centre and when committed, lacks feel in that vital place in-between, where you can spend a fair bit of time on great roads.

Price and rivals

The Focus ST now has the dynamic bandwidth to take on the class leaders ó as long as youíre prepared to add the optional Performance Pack. Itís a must, even though it takes the £31,995 list price to almost £33k. You can have the pick of the class at that money, from the Hyundai i30 N to the Civic Type R and Golf GTi. Itíll take a test on UK roads to sort out where the Focus sits, but itís great that Ford has created a car that can challenge for top honours again.

https://www.evo.co.uk/ford/focus-st/...-hyundai-i30-n
    Last edited by ST2Focus; 07-10-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    2013 #2008,#349 of 2286 in PB ST2, Mountune CBE, CAI, DP, Strut Tower Brace, FRPP shifter, K&N filter, Steeda rear sway/strut tower bars, 3M clear bra, WeatherTechs w/ST badges, Zunsport grill kit, Tail of the Dragon decals, Hoonigan crash bar!
    2015 Tuxedo Black FiST ST1
    2016 Steath Grey RS2 delivered 31AUG2016!

2013 Focus ST Performance Blue

is looking up parts I can't
    afford

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn. Would love to drive this thing. Someone please import and put on Turo lolzzz

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So its the "eLSD" a true LSD or is it a brake-based, not actual LSD?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

Premium Member
    is looking to get a big snail
    (eventually)!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t live in Europe, and we’re not getting these here. Therefore, I don’t give a crap. Just can’t wait to see what ugly new SUV/crossover with a CVT and no power we’ll get instead.
    2016 RR FoST ST1
    Stage 3 w/Stratified Tune

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davesST View Post
    I donít live in Europe, and weíre not getting these here. Therefore, I donít give a crap. Just canít wait to see what ugly new SUV/crossover with a CVT and no power weíll get instead.
    Well at least we're back to normal, Europe gets all the fun cars and we get to look at them from afar... It's the RS/SVt thing all over again. Maybe I'll import an ST estate (wagon) when I win the lottery.
    davesST likes this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO Ford should have just done what Volkswagen is doing where they axed the standard Golf but kept the GTI and R for their next gen. Let the enthusiasts have their performance cars!
    Duchess likes this.

I spend too much of my life on FST! mmst3's Avatar
    is airing out... gimme a sec...

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocrat Autosport View Post
    IMO Ford should have just done what Volkswagen is doing where they axed the standard Golf but kept the GTI and R for their next gen. Let the enthusiasts have their performance cars!
    Amen!!
    '17 MAGNETIC METALLIC ST3
    Turbosmart 50/50 BOV
    AWE Tuning Track Edition
    CJPP High Flow Catted Downpipe
    Maxton Design RS Rear Valance
    Maxton Design Front Splitter/Lip
    Spec D Black LED Tailligts
    Delta Styling Wing
    Airlift 3P

Premium Member
    is cleaning his car

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocrat Autosport View Post
    So its the "eLSD" a true LSD or is it a brake-based, not actual LSD?
    As far as I know, it is an electrical controlled LSD, made by BordWarner. It has a clutch package, so it's sort of neither fully mechanical, nor brake based.
    It is the same system which is used in the VW Golf GTI Performance since 2013.

See https://www2.borgwarner.com/en/power...20FXD%20NA.pdf for more.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Invincible View Post
    As far as I know, it is an electrical controlled LSD, made by BordWarner. It has a clutch package, so it's sort of neither fully mechanical, nor brake based.
    It is the same system which is used in the VW Golf GTI Performance since 2013.

See https://www2.borgwarner.com/en/power...20FXD%20NA.pdf for more.
    That's very interesting. The Golf GTI Clubsport used that differential to help usher it to the position of FWD Nurburgring king until it was beaten by the Type R. Makes it seem all that more sad that we're not getting the new Focus here in the states
    Coolpool likes this.

Sponsored Links