Ford Focus ST Forum

Recall for Potential Stalling / Deformed Gas Tank

Thread: Recall for Potential Stalling / Deformed Gas Tank

Tags:

rambleon84 said:

Recall for Potential Stalling / Deformed Gas Tank

https://fox59.com/2018/10/25/engine-...lion-vehicles/

This is gonna effect a bunch of us:
    Ford is recalling nearly 1.3 million Focus compact cars in the U.S. because a fuel system problem can cause the engines to stall without warning.

The recall covers cars from the 2012 through 2018 model years with 2-liter four-cylinder engines.

Ford says a valve in the fuel system can stick in the open position, causing too much vacuum, and an engine control computer may not detect the problem. Excessive vacuum can cause the gas tank to deform, as well as other problems.
    You can enter your VIN here to check to see if you are one of the lucky ones. https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...e/recalls.html
    Sounds like any 2.0 naturally aspirated or ST. Ford suggests keeping half a tank of fuel in the car at all times to mitigate the risk of issues. Have fun with that!

This is what came up for my '13:

Last edited by ST2Focus; 10-25-2018 at 10:38 AM.

xJohnn said:
    But is it gonna brick our cars again?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

ST3ROID said:
    Was just about to start a thread, haha you beat me to it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/1759870002

Ford FINALLY admits there is a problem, after I paid out-of-pocket to get it fixed

There is an updated part number for the purge valve in TSB 15-0034. Two dealers didn't want to touch a "modified car" so I did it myself out of frustration

rambleon84 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by ST3ROID View Post

Ford FINALLY admits there is a problem, after I paid out-of-pocket to get it fixed

There is an updated part number for the purge valve in TSB 15-0034. Two dealers didn't want to touch a "modified car" so I did it myself out of frustration
    that sucks a bunch, was yours one of the ones with the deform tank? Any warning signs ahead of time?

Ark said:
    Quote Originally Posted by ST3ROID View Post

I've got the recall as well after my car has been in the shop for a month for a stalling issue they could not figure out... But the recall does say that ford reimbursement will pay back out of pocket repairs for this so that might be worth looking into.

OuHiroshi said:
    Should I remove my catch can before taking it in for recall?
    2013 Performance Blue ST3
    Unleashed 91 Octane V5
    Norgren F39 OCC

DigitalBaka said:
    I have the notice for my wife's 13 SE and my 17 ST....i get it with "both barrels" so to speak.
    -DB
    2017 TY ST3
    Green Filter | Mountune RMM | 235/25-19 Indy 500 on Gunmetal TSW Bathurst | Sto-N-Sho plate holder | 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats

G heinrich said:
    Quote Originally Posted by OuHiroshi View Post
    Should I remove my catch can before taking it in for recall?

Catch can shouldn't make a difference

Ark said:
    My cars been at the shop for a while with a stalling issue I just spoke to the guys over there and they're ordering parts for this recall and programming the PCM he's aware of the tune but says they wont be going near the ECU. Fingers crossed its fixed tomorrow.

psilynt said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ark View Post
    My cars been at the shop for a while with a stalling issue I just spoke to the guys over there and they're ordering parts for this recall and programming the PCM he's aware of the tune but says they wont be going near the ECU. Fingers crossed its fixed tomorrow.
    This is the only recall thats come up for my car that I'd consider getting done but this exact concern might be what stops me from doing it. Im terrified they would touch the ECU and f-up my tune or the mods Ive done to the BCM.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 Tuxedo Black ST3
    Stratified GTX2867R WMI build thread

383HP/377TQ on E20

Thinking about upgrading the charge pipes on your Focus ST?
    Cold side charge pipes reviewed - JBR vs CP-E
    Hot side charge pipes reviewed - JBR vs CP-E