Tranny Fluid change For Noobs - Page 20
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: Tranny Fluid change For Noobs

EVH
    Premium Member
    is the Atomic Punk!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Jack Stands in the video!!!! NEVER get under a car supported only by floor jacks.
    2014 Performance Blue ST2 // Charcoal/Blue Recaros // Moonroof #2,304 of 14,036

COBB Intake System // Magnaflow 15155 Cat-Back Exhaust // Steeda Street/Comp FMIC // Bigger Mouth Snorkel // Breedt Quick Shift Arm & FRPP Short Shifter // AP3 with Stratified tune // TSW Bathhurst Wheels with 245/40ZR18 Pilot Super Sports // Damond Motorsports Catch Can // Triple R Splitter // Steeda Jacking Rails

The Winter Ride: 1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon---251,000 miles and still going strong!

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by 20focusSTdriver17; 04-18-2018 at 08:31 AM.
    20focusdriver16 on FF

17' Magnetic ST1, Premium Wheel Pkg, Green filter, FRPP CAI Snorkel, Mountune Induction Hose, Symposer Delete, BPV & RMM, Mountune T&F FMIC Full Upgrade, Mountune/CSF Radiator & Hoses, Mountune High-Flow CBE

Ready to install: FRPP M-9603A-FSTA Calibration/Plugs, RS OEM Full Intake, 63mm TB, RS OEM Shifter, Mountune Quick-Shift Arm, Mountune SS Brake Lines, Mountune DP

RIP 6/29/17 - My 16' SE Sport
    - https://youtu.be/BPuhbAqLFRA

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1LoudST View Post
    For the love of God, never ever work on a car lifted up with just a jack. If your using a jack, use jack stands!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    But then how do you drain out all the old tranny fluid? it will be not leveled with the jack stand. Front end will be higher if jack stands are used in front.

Other than lower the floor jack so front left side of the car is level with all 3 other tires (no jack stand is used) what else do you guys do to drain out all the tranny fluid.

(For tranny fluid no need to drive it around to let it warm up so easier to drain?)
    Last edited by okaythen; 05-01-2018 at 01:14 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

Super Moderator Duece McCracken's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is totally a ninja. Master of
    disguise.

Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by okaythen View Post
    But then how do you drain out all the old tranny fluid? it will be not leveled with the jack stand. Front end will be higher if jack stands are used in front.

Other than lower the floor jack so front left side of the car is level with all 3 other tires (no jack stand is used) what else do you guys do to drain out all the tranny fluid.

(For tranny fluid no need to drive it around to let it warm up so easier to drain?)
    It drains out while the car is lifted. You need the car level to fill it. It sounds weird, but if you look at the actual shape of the transmission, it becomes clear. I am way too familiar at this task, having done it 6 or 7 times at this point.

I use the one tire off, one jack method. Ball end hex keys in 3/8" drive, and extensions to do it safely outside the wheel well of sorts. You can jack it up, throw a stand in there for the plug wrenching session, then set up your pump line into the fill hole, then remove jackstand and lower car, I suggest piece of plywood under the rotor just in case you lower too fast. Fill, and frantically try to install the plug. Lmao

I'm going to fill from the top next time. Just seems way easier. Measure out fluid, dump it all in.
    Last edited by Duece McCracken; 05-01-2018 at 03:50 AM.
    okaythen and SIstomper like this.
    Owner and lead tech of Duece's Wrenchworx. The one stop shade tree ST shop.

Build thread - https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-duecette.html

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike412 View Post
    So our transmissions have a second filler hole on top by the shift arm. I found this out from watching the video below. I'm going to use that hole to fill it because I park on a slight incline, so I was going to face the car uphill on ramps. Won't be exactly level but should be close enough, and I will measure the fluid that drains to make sure 1.8qt comes out. This maybe helpful for others.
    What was your experience using the top/factory fill plug as shown in the video? Any recommendation or tips would be helpful.

I just purchased 2 quarts of the Motorcraft/OEM oil for $23 shipped to California (steal?) from this ebay seller:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-QTS-XT11-...72.m2749.l2649

Did want to try the Motul since there's good feedback here for it but it was double the price of the Motorcraft circa $44 so passed on it. Next time I guess, I am at 50k miles and never done a flush so expecting some darkness.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by intel View Post
    What was your experience using the top/factory fill plug as shown in the video? Any recommendation or tips would be helpful.

I just purchased 2 quarts of the Motorcraft/OEM oil for $23 shipped to California (steal?) from this ebay seller:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-QTS-XT11-...72.m2749.l2649

Did want to try the Motul since there's good feedback here for it but it was double the price of the Motorcraft circa $44 so passed on it. Next time I guess, I am at 50k miles and never done a flush so expecting some darkness.
    The only problem I had with using the top fill plug was getting the plug loose. If I remember correctly it uses the same size Allen wrench/hex key for the drain plug. All I had was an Allen wrench so what I did was put the longer side on the bolt and used a pair of pliers to grip on the shorter side and got the plug off because its located too deep in to fit the shorter side. I recommend using a hex bit with ratchet and extension. Also I used this funnel which was a perfect fit for fitting inside the fill plug hole. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...704/89011616-P
    Last edited by Mike412; 09-19-2018 at 08:46 PM.
    Pfiles likes this.

is thankful every day he left
    Comifornia

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 20focusSTdriver17 View Post
    Name:  back-in-my-day-blowing-a-tranny-meant-car-trouble.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  601.8 KB
    davesST and STfever like this.

MrP
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have a part number for the drain plug? I stripped mine out with the ball end allen socket...I think I can get it out with a pair of visegrips but want a fresh one to put in.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just changed my transmission fluid to Motul DCTF at 47,000 miles after feeling weird shifts between 2-3 and 3-4 like I was hitting something and then it was going into gear. I put slightly over 1.8 quarts in but as I went to put the fill plug back in fluid started coming out of the fill hole in a small but steady stream. I immediately plugged it up and after measuring how much was in the drain pan it looks like I might have lost about half a quart, putting me at 1.3qrts in there right now. Planning on getting another quart and topping it off, I'm guessing I just had the nose of the car slightly too far down and gravity was pulling the fluid out? Does anyone know if there could be another reason for this happening that I'm just not aware of? Shifts do feel better and I'm not getting the strange feeling on my 3rd or 4th gear shifts anymore. Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread!

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20

Sponsored Links