Starting issues after fuel fill up
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Starting issues after fuel fill up

  1. #1
    I spend too much of my life on FST! MiSTify's Avatar
    This user has no status.
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Warminster, PA
    Posts
    959
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Starting issues after fuel fill up

    Anything under half tank when I fill up will cause the car to stutter and stall on the first start up. I took it to Ford on to get the oil changed and have it looked at but the only thing they did was try to pull a code. "well there's no code so there's nothing we can do"

    Psst.. not every problem has a code. I asked if the tech could go with me for 10 min to the gas station, but he only had one tech that was busy. Its a really small dealer here in Key West that does Dodge AND Toyota as well as Ford.

    Anyway I left and filled it up and it stuttered and stalled, just as I thought it would. One of the guys there just said to not fill it up all the way.. while that MIGHT be a decent suggestion, that doesn't fix the problem that shouldn't happen to begin with, its a band aid. Suggested a EVAP problem.. well suggest that to the tech that looked at it so he can visually inspect it instead of the code BS.

    I kind of made a video but Its pretty corny and probably doesn't show it as well as it should have.


    and no I dont "Top off" the tank, and never have with this car. Once the pump shuts off, I remove it. Stopped doing that years ago.

    Im moving from Key West in 2 weeks and by the time I get to my next location I'll be out of warranty.
    2013 Ruby Red F150 FX4

    Money can't buy happiness, but it can make you awfully comfortable while you're being miserable.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Duece McCracken's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is painfully slow living that N/A
    life.
     

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,603
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MiSTify View Post
    Anything under half tank when I fill up will cause the car to stutter and stall on the first start up. I took it to Ford on to get the oil changed and have it looked at but the only thing they did was try to pull a code. "well there's no code so there's nothing we can do"

    Psst.. not every problem has a code. I asked if the tech could go with me for 10 min to the gas station, but he only had one tech that was busy. Its a really small dealer here in Key West that does Dodge AND Toyota as well as Ford.

    Anyway I left and filled it up and it stuttered and stalled, just as I thought it would. One of the guys there just said to not fill it up all the way.. while that MIGHT be a decent suggestion, that doesn't fix the problem that shouldn't happen to begin with, its a band aid. Suggested a EVAP problem.. well suggest that to the tech that looked at it so he can visually inspect it instead of the code BS.

    I kind of made a video but Its pretty corny and probably doesn't show it as well as it should have.


    and no I dont "Top off" the tank, and never have with this car. Once the pump shuts off, I remove it. Stopped doing that years ago.

    Im moving from Key West in 2 weeks and by the time I get to my next location I'll be out of warranty.
    Yeah definitely sounds evap related. I hope it all gets sorted out properly!!

    On a side note, are you staying in Florida?
    Owner and lead tech of Duece's Wrenchworx. The one stop shade tree ST shop.

    Build thread - https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-duecette.html

  3. #3
    I spend too much of my life on FST! MiSTify's Avatar
    This user has no status.
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Warminster, PA
    Posts
    959
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece McCracken View Post
    Yeah definitely sounds evap related. I hope it all gets sorted out properly!!

    On a side note, are you staying in Florida?
    No I'm headed to TN for a few weeks, PA for a week or so the Michigan until the job I got hired for starts. Then I'll be moving to Taiwan for 2 years.

    sent from a Galaxy S5
    2013 Ruby Red F150 FX4

    Money can't buy happiness, but it can make you awfully comfortable while you're being miserable.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Super Moderator Duece McCracken's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is painfully slow living that N/A
    life.
     

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,603
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MiSTify View Post
    No I'm headed to TN for a few weeks, PA for a week or so the Michigan until the job I got hired for starts. Then I'll be moving to Taiwan for 2 years.

    sent from a Galaxy S5
    Holy crap!! That's a whole lot of moving. I wonder if we have any St members in taiwan yet... lol.
    Owner and lead tech of Duece's Wrenchworx. The one stop shade tree ST shop.

    Build thread - https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-duecette.html

  6. #5
    I spend too much of my life on FST! MiSTify's Avatar
    This user has no status.
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Warminster, PA
    Posts
    959
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my stuff is being moved to TN and thats where its staying for now as thats my home. I'm visiting my son in PA then going to visit my woman in MI. I haven't decided to move there permanently yet but I'll be there a few months.
    2013 Ruby Red F150 FX4

    Money can't buy happiness, but it can make you awfully comfortable while you're being miserable.

  7. #6
    I spend too much of my life on FST! MiSTify's Avatar
    This user has no status.
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Warminster, PA
    Posts
    959
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont we have one of those Ford Reps here?
    2013 Ruby Red F150 FX4

    Money can't buy happiness, but it can make you awfully comfortable while you're being miserable.

  8. #7
    Super Moderator Duece McCracken's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is painfully slow living that N/A
    life.
     

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,603
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MiSTify View Post
    dont we have one of those Ford Reps here?
    Yeah it's Nick, hold on let me find his screen name. @FordService

    Bam!!! There he is!


    Actually this screenname belongs to Meagan, my bad, so BAM! There She is!!!

    Well I guess our minimeet for you in August will be a going away meet as well!
    Last edited by Duece McCracken; 06-29-2015 at 05:51 PM.
    MiSTify likes this.
    Owner and lead tech of Duece's Wrenchworx. The one stop shade tree ST shop.

    Build thread - https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-duecette.html

  9. #8
    I spend too much of my life on FST! pyroman131's Avatar
    is , Go Jaguars!
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    368
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a purge control valve issue. It's pretty common with older cars, so I'm surprised that a newer ST is having this issue.

    I don't have personal experience with this car as this is my first Ford, and it's only three months old. I can speak for other cars though. You may need to get the car scanned to see if there are any stored codes. If this uses a purge control valve or a solenoid, then most likely it would have to be replaced.

    Wish I knew more specifically; However this may help steer you toward a resolution.
    2015 Ford Focus ST Tuxedo Black (ST1)
    Purchased March 2015

    Modifications:

    Exterior: AVS AeroSkin Bug Guard, Mugen Style 3-D Vent Visors, VG Shark Fin Antenna V2, ST wheel caps, Boomba Wing Risers, Diode Dynamics LEDs
    Performance: Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, COBB APv3, Green filter
    Other: Morimoto Mini Stage III H1 retrofit, CPC Hood Struts, Boomba BOV, Breedt Quick-Shift Arm, Anarchy Motive Atlas Shift Knob

  10. #9
    I spend too much of my life on FST! MiSTify's Avatar
    This user has no status.
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Warminster, PA
    Posts
    959
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pyroman131 View Post
    Sounds like a purge control valve issue. It's pretty common with older cars, so I'm surprised that a newer ST is having this issue.

    I don't have personal experience with this car as this is my first Ford, and it's only three months old. I can speak for other cars though. You may need to get the car scanned to see if there are any stored codes. If this uses a purge control valve or a solenoid, then most likely it would have to be replaced.

    Wish I knew more specifically; However this may help steer you toward a resolution.
    Took it to Ford only code they found was the grill system, which has removed. Once they didn't find a code they stopped looking.

    sent from a Galaxy S5
    2013 Ruby Red F150 FX4

    Money can't buy happiness, but it can make you awfully comfortable while you're being miserable.

  11. #10
    I spend too much of my life on FST! ZX3ST's Avatar
    This user has no status.
     

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    STL
    Posts
    532
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a couple TSBs out on the fuel system, extreme cases even causing deforming of the fuel tank. There's a sticky at the top of this sub-forum with details:

    https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...3-present.html

    Maybe this will help them? No codes - stop looking is BS. You're paying them to diagnose the car. Any idiot can read codes from a handheld.
    Cowlynz and SlimJim8804 like this.
    2013 Ford Focus ST3, Tangerine Scream - BUILD THREAD
    2001 Mazda Miata LS, Midnight Blue Mica
    1989 Ford F-250 XLT HD 4x4, Refrigerator White - 460 cubic inches of **** yeah!
    2005 Harley Davidson XL1200R, Pearl Yellow

 

 
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Fuel Gauge Issues
    By midcow3 in forum Focus ST Maintenance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-07-2015, 09:41 PM
  2. Fuel tank issues?
    By -=max=- in forum Focus ST Maintenance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-16-2015, 04:46 AM
  3. Fuel consumption issues?
    By omnimaeST in forum Focus ST Maintenance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-24-2014, 05:28 PM
  4. Easy Fill issues?
    By RX8toST in forum Focus ST Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-18-2014, 07:53 PM
  5. Snow getting in behind fuel fill door.
    By giles in forum Focus ST Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-01-2013, 09:01 PM

Search tags for this page

2012 ford focus hard starting after filling gas tank
,
2012 ford focus stalls after filling up
,
2013 f150 wont crank after fill up
,

2013 ford focus hard to start after fill up

,
2013 ford hard start after fueling up
,
2014ford escape wont start after refueling
,

2015 focus refueiling won't start

,
2015 ford fusion 2.0l car wont crank when gas fill up
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Find us on Google+