CRC Intake Valve Cleaner
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: CRC Intake Valve Cleaner

is :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CRC Intake Valve Cleaner

From reading about an epic build where one brave soul pieced 2 focus' together to make one hot hatch (I can't find the link but it is here somewhere), we learned that the intake valves carbon up fairly quickly. My FoST is approaching 15k miles, and I think it is time I start addressing this issue.

I just happen to come across an ad in Sports Car for CRC GDI IVD Intake valve cleaner. Of course the online tutorial makes it sound like rainbows and butterflies ......

I really want to know if anyone has tried this, and does it work?

I tried to search through here, but I could not find anything on this topic.

This is also my first time ever creating a topic on a forum so please forgive me if I did something wrong

Thanks for your help!

Premium Member
    is still alive and driving...

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Kuhr View Post
    From reading about an epic build where one brave soul pieced 2 focus' together to make one hot hatch (I can't find the link but it is here somewhere), we learned that the intake valves carbon up fairly quickly. My FoST is approaching 15k miles, and I think it is time I start addressing this issue.

I just happen to come across an ad in Sports Car for CRC GDI IVD Intake valve cleaner. Of course the online tutorial makes it sound like rainbows and butterflies ......

This is also my first time ever creating a topic on a forum so please forgive me if I did something wrong

Thanks for your help!
    https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...-pictures.html

I have done this and it does work. Remove the intake manifold. Be sure the valve you're working on is closed. Unplug the coils and turn over the engine until the valve is closed. Spray the cleaner onto the valve and valve stem. After the gunk has been dissolved by the cleaner, use shop rags and a Shop Vac to remove any debris before moving on to the next valve. Simply repeat the process with the remaining valves.

Current:

2002 Ford SVT Focus
    - ASA 17" Wheels
    - Baer Big Brakes
    - HR Coilovers
    - Borla Catback

Previous:

2015 Focus ST3.

#LylaStrong

is thankful every day he left
    Comifornia

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Kuhr View Post

Thanks for your help!
    https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...ve-coking.html
    COBBST likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't use this on a turbo car. Manual cleaning is the best option as stated above.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Although this product may work well given some soak time (as stated above), it was NOT effective for me when following the spray-thru the intake tract directions on the can. I was spraying in just ahead of intercooler. I'll probably try the soak and manual clean method in the near future.

Premium Member
    is -

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Do it how @SIstomper said. Don't use it with the car running. You can also take out the plugs and turn the motor by hand which is easier and you have more control. A set of bottle brushes helps too.
    #LylaStrong

Joe

2013 Focus ST
    1985 Merkur XR4Ti

Confused by acronyms? https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...ons-terms.html

is the crypto-currency guru

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just used Gunk engine degreaser.

I sprayed the valves, and let it sit for a good 30 minutes. Take your spark plugs out so you don't need to worry about accidentally hydrolocking an open cylinder (although it takes a lot of this stuff to do that so just use common sense).

You don't need to do anything other than let the valves soak. Once you start the engine back up the vacuum will suck all the crud off the valves and it will burn off during combustion. My car smoked and smelled terrible for a good 20 minutes but the valves were spotless afterwards.

Inb4 "b-b-but the turbo seals" or "that's bad for the cat because I'm an internet scientist"
    2016 Focus RS - Stealth Grey RS1 w/ Forged wheels.
    Stock for now.
    1986 Merkur XR4Ti - Too much to list. Big turbo, big cam, lots of boost...fast and intimidating.

Premium Member
    is -

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shogodz89 View Post
    I just used Gunk engine degreaser.

I sprayed the valves, and let it sit for a good 30 minutes. Take your spark plugs out so you don't need to worry about accidentally hydrolocking an open cylinder (although it takes a lot of this stuff to do that so just use common sense).

You don't need to do anything other than let the valves soak. Once you start the engine back up the vacuum will suck all the crud off the valves and it will burn off during combustion. My car smoked and smelled terrible for a good 20 minutes but the valves were spotless afterwards.

Inb4 "b-b-but the turbo seals" or "that's bad for the cat because I'm an internet scientist"
    It's not bad for the seals, but it's bad for the turbine wheel to be hit with all the crap that many not burn off fully.
    #LylaStrong

Joe

2013 Focus ST
    1985 Merkur XR4Ti

I spend too much of my life on FST! heavyD's Avatar
    is wishing the ST came in Grabber
    Blue like my 2012 5.0

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XRJoe View Post
    It's not bad for the seals, but it's bad for the turbine wheel to be hit with all the crap that many not burn off fully.
    What crap though? The deposits are dissolved by the degreaser and should be vaporized and burned off in the combustion process. I could see if you scrapped dry deposits off and those were sucked into the cylinder in a dry state but if they were dissolved it's hard to imagine that they would reach the turbine wheel in particle form.

Premium Member
    is -

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    What crap though? The deposits are dissolved by the degreaser and should be vaporized and burned off in the combustion process. I could see if you scrapped dry deposits off and those were sucked into the cylinder in a dry state but if they were dissolved it's hard to imagine that they would reach the turbine wheel in particle form.
    Good point! I guess I'd have to see how well a job the degreaser does.
    #LylaStrong

Joe

2013 Focus ST
    1985 Merkur XR4Ti

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links