Blown Motor Resource Thread - Page 72
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 72 of 207 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72 73 74 82 122 172 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Blown Motor Resource Thread

is Must go faster...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowIQ View Post
    At risk of sounding foolish, what is the best way to monitor gas quality? I am looking to get an Unleashed tune, but I want to be as knowledgable about monitoring as possible. Thanks.
    Sending you PM.
    Mountune MRX Big Turbo and Stuff

is MBRP exhaust on the way!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm calling it. It's the damn headifold holding in heat and popping cylinder 4. No I did not science this conclusion. I'm also probably wrong but hey

I spend too much of my life on FST! GreyGriz's Avatar
    is [EC0H00N]

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blown Motor Resource Thread

We need build date data to determine if it's only the cars that were effected by the wiring harness recall.

Also why are there THREE grades of Pistons available for the same motor from Ford? And how do we determine which grade of piston was used in our build?

I would like one of the smarter guys to share if there is a way to mount an EGT sensor in the headifold near cylinder four. At least then we can lay off the cars if the temps start elevating beyond x,xxx tbd temperatures. Or will it be best to monitor the actual temps on the Dp near the cat?

Also with the latest engine pop it's very suspect to have happened after the ford service. You have no visibility on the type of oil used, quantity filled, and if the service guys drove the car.

As for oils the vw 502 spec seems to be catered to tdi applications.
    Last edited by GreyGriz; 01-26-2015 at 02:59 PM.
    My '14 TB ST2 build. ECOHOON and custom tuning.
    Performance mods:
    -Stock Turbo -Cobb AP3 & ATR -K&N Typhoon Intake -FSWERKS CAI Crossover Tube -Mountune IC Pipe Hot Side -Mountune Uprated BPV
    -DepoRacing Beast FMIC -Steeda Throttle Body Spacer -Boomba Intake Manifold Spacer -NGK Plugs 1-Step Colder -Magnaflow 400 Cell Hi-Flow CAT DP -Magnaflow 15155 CBE

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

I spend too much of my life on FST! Freebird23103's Avatar
    is Above PSL

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Recall. Was a tsb at the time.
    For the new guys like myself can you tell us more about the Splice recall. Was it for only 2013 models or up to a certain build date? Have we seen motors fail that were not effected by the tsb or recall ie built after that date?

Doesn't make sense that a car stock or tuned runs thousands of miles trouble free and then fails with no warning and under most times light cruising load. What makes sense is a sensor failing or sending bad data could easily lean out the mixture etc and cause failures. But why cyl 1 and 4 so often? less cooling so they fail first?

I wonder if behind closed doors at Ford if they know the cause of all these failures. It would suck to find out its a few dollar part (sensor) failing, or intermittent wiring issue causing these engines to pop.
    Last edited by Freebird23103; 01-26-2015 at 04:02 PM.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freebird23103 View Post
    For the new guys like myself can you tell us more about the Splice recall. Was it for only 2013 models or up to a certain build date? Have we seen motors fail that were not effected by the tsb or recall ie built after that date?

Doesn't make sense that a car stock or tuned runs thousands of miles trouble free and then fails with no warning and under most times light cruising load. What makes sense is a sensor failing or sending bad data could easily lean out the mixture etc and cause failures. But why cyl 1 and 4 so often? less cooling so they fail first?

I wonder if behind closed doors at Ford if they know the cause of all these failures. It would suck to find out its a few dollar part (sensor) failing, or intermittent wiring issue causing these engines to pop.
    49 CFR PART 573- DEFECT INFORMATION REPORT
    2013-2014 MODEL YEAR FORD ESCAPE AND FOCUS ST SAFETY RECALL #14S17
    2.0 LITER ENGINE WIRING SPLICES
    Pursuant to Part 573 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Defect and NonCompliance
    Reports, Ford Motor Company submits the following information concerning a
    safety recall action that it is voluntarily initiating.
    573.6 {c) {2)- Potentially Affected Vehicles
    Vehicles potentially affected are certain 2013-2014 model year Ford Escape vehicles equipped
    with 2.0 liter engines built at Ford's Louisville Assembly Plant (LAP) from October 5, 2011 ,
    through April 1, 2013, and Ford Focus ST vehicles equipped with 2.0L engines built at the
    Michigan Assembly Plant (MAP) from February 14, 2012, through October 14, 2013.
    These vehicles are not produced in VIN order. Information as to the applicability of this action to
    specific vehicles can best be obtained by either calling Ford's toll-free line (1-866-436-7332),
    clicking on the "Safety Recalls" link at Ford ? New Cars, Trucks, SUVs, Hybrids & Crossovers | Ford Vehicles, or by contacting a local Ford or
    Lincoln dealer who can obtain specific information regarding the vehicles from the Ford On-line
    Automotive Service Information System (OASIS) database.
    The information for the original supplier of the engine wiring harness, which is the subject of this
    defect report, is provided below:
    Engine Wiring Harness Assembly - Supplier Information
    NAME: Lear Automotive E.E.D.S. Tunisia SA
    ADDRESS: Z.l. Borj Cedira- Bp- 63,Bir El Bey,2055,TN
    PHONE: +216 71 410 351
    COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Tunisian Republic
    573.6 (c) (3)- Estimated Population of Vehicles Potentially Affected
    Approximately 133,227 vehicles in the United States and federalized territories are potentially
    affected.
    573.6 {c) {4)- Estimated Percentage of Affected Vehicles with the Defect Condition
    Unknown.
    573.6 {c) {5)- Description of the Defect
    In some of the affected vehicles, there may be engine wiring harnesses with splices that were
    insufficiently compressed during the supplier manufacturing process. Insufficient compression
    in the engine wiring harness splices to the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor may
    cause erroneous signals to the PCM that may affect engine performance. This may result in
    MIL lamps, reduced engine power, hesitation, or other engine driveability symptoms, or engine
    stall. Engine stalls while driving with no warning may increase the risk of a crash.
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...4V495-5503.pdf

is Great!

Mentioned
    269 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Maybe this will shed a little light on Rawad's car.

This is the third of 3 back to back street pulls on his final map. As you can see, everything looks pretty good.
    Street pull 3/3 final Rev.

This is the same map that he ran on the dyno. This is the first pull logged on the dyno. Please note, CAT is in Celsius.
    Dyno pull 1/3 Final Rev.

So charge temps reached around 65*C or 150* on the street, but they climbed as high as 110*C or 230*F on the dyno. I'm just going to say that the heat probably had an affect on the car.

He's from across the pond. I'm not sure what the dyno conditions were, or if they had enough airflow on the front of the car or not. Also not sure how their fuel works as far as seasonal changes. It's very odd to go from maxing corrections to +3 to -6 with no changes to the map. Either something very drastic changed with the fuel, the car, or the heat just did it in.

This also reinforces the point of watching the corrections as much as possible during WOT. I would have lifted at 6k on that dyno pull, as soon as -2 or more was noticed. Keeping it pinned down while all cylinders are at -6 isn't good practice.
    Last edited by Silver_Shooter; 01-26-2015 at 04:22 PM.

is waiting for some boxes from
    the ups man

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now that makes perfect sense. that engine died from detonation caused pre ignition. wish every engine that's blown came with data logs like that. the rest of us could ease our minds and quit worrying. I figured operator error had a little to do with it
    "Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
    and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
    torque is how far you take the wall with you." --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Keeping it pinned down while all cylinders are at -6 isn't good practice.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OUCH!!!

If charge temp is OVER 100*C, i really don't want to know oil/coolant temperatures....
    Looks for me like a overheated engine at all....

Under what circumstances did it fail (WOT, cruising, what did you hear and feel?): After a day at Dyno , the car pulled bad Numbers as low as 209 then the next day a boxer engine like sound appeared and after that check engine and no more power
    Couple of runs, much heat, stock cat, stock fmic, much much much much more heat.... pre ignition.. blown, thanks....
    GTX2867r inside! Tuned by Stratified

is thankful every day he left
    Comifornia

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by focus pilot View Post
    now that makes perfect sense. that engine died from detonation caused pre ignition. wish every engine that's blown came with data logs like that. the rest of us could ease our minds and quit worrying. I figured operator error had a little to do with it
    I think operator error is the case with 90% of the blown motors listed here.
    LOLMS3 likes this.

I spend too much of my life on FST! Freebird23103's Avatar
    is Above PSL

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatic View Post
    OUCH!!!

If charge temp is OVER 100*C, i really don't want to know oil/coolant temperatures....
    Looks for me like a overheated engine at all....

Couple of runs, much heat, stock cat, stock fmic, much much much much more heat.... pre ignition.. blown, thanks....
    Reminds me I was going to ask what you guys what charge air temps do you see just driving around town? Mine I noticed are 20 degrees or so hotter than ambient air temps. They were running around 86 degrees for charge air temps today and 64 ambient on the stock FMIC. Should we only do a pull if the charge air temp is below a certain degrees? if so what temp?

Page 72 of 207 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72 73 74 82 122 172 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links