How to disable the "Double Honk"
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: How to disable the "Double Honk"

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

How to disable the "Double Honk"

If you're like me in a colder climate, you've no doubt gotten out of your car when its running and had it double honk at you when you shut the door. I've been sitting on the fix for this for a while as I didn't have time to test with other cars, but now that I have, its going public!
    Today we're going to cover how to get rid of this absolutely asinine feature!

Background:
    Early 2013 Focus STs (build dates before sometime in September 2012?) did not do the double honk. Utilizing data from these models and models with it, I was able to determine which As-Built variable controlled the double honk.
    Special thanks to @Fuxalt and @ddfred who both have early 2013s and helped me out with their VINs so I could pull down calibration info from one of these early birds!

You will need:
    - OBDII Adapter. I recommend an OBDLink MX or SX.
    - Forscan with the Extended License

We're going to modify the As-Built of your BCM module to disable the double honk.

Step 1: CONNECT
    Step 2: Go to Programming and Configuration
    Step 3: Select BCM (AS-BUILT) and hit the "Play" button.
    Step 4: On the first row you will have something like: 726-01-01 0194 0000 00C4
    Step 5: Modify the FIRST slot by subtracting 0x80 (hex) from it: 726-01-01 0114 0000 00C4
    Step 6: Click Write
    Step 7: It will complain about the checksum. I didn't cover how to fix that, because its non-important. The checksum is never actually stored or returned by the ECU, and is entirely for As-Built software to verify stuff was copied correctly. Simply click Yes to write.

The car will proceed to reset some modules when completed. Have fun, you've now disabled the double-honk!

How does it work? Simply, As-Built information contains configuration information for different modules. In this case, we're setting bit 15 of the second byte low, as this bit indicates whether double honk is activated or not (1 for activated, 0 for deactivated). We're deactivating it via this method. If you instead had a vehicle with honk and wanted it (because you're crazy), then you could set the bit and write it.

Other things can be configured this way as well. Navigation, radio setup, rear view camera (as shown). Navigation is out there as well, but is more involved. I may write that up at a later date, but it is on other forums currently.

Have fun with your honk-free adventures!

Steve
    Last edited by Bugasu; 09-26-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    Tuxedo Black ST2 - 459whp/432wtq SOLD
    B5 Blue Hellcat Charger
    #LylaStrong

Premium Member
    is "Moderating" all the
    beers ;)

Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Glad I could help @[email protected] . Thankfully I have never had to experience this feature, but it sounded so irritating that how could I not assist.

Hopefully this will help those who cringe every time that door closes.
    Bugasu likes this.
    Engine Cobb APV3- 93 Stratified Tuned CP-E Stage 2 RMM Damond Motorsports PSM Steeda Intake Box with filter/Gen 1 Depo "Son of Beast" 3.5" FMIC MBRP Pro Series Catback Exhaust MBRP 3" Catless Downpipe Forge BOV
    Shift Boosted Designs Trans/Shift Bushings Breedt Shift Arm Anarchy Motive Shift Knob Ford Racing Short Shifter
    Visual Velossa Tech Wing Risers DMB Green Emblems Shift boot re-stitched Green Steering wheel enameled green Engine Covers and Calipers Panted Green Green Fog Light Bulbs Smoked LED Tail Lights Boosted Designs Mud Flaps Visual Garage Shark Fin
    Suspension Proline 901 18x8 ET40 Cooper Zeon RS3-S tires Hawk Sector 27 rotors Hawk HPS pads

is tinkering again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will have to try this on my '16. I have to get out of the running car to close our gate at the end of the driveway when leaving in the morning. When the weather is rainy I close the door and get the double honk. Unkind to the neighbors at 4:30am.

Kona Blue 2016 ST3 "JeSTer"

Super Moderator Duece McCracken's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is boosting again, but that 5spd
    life, ugh.

Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    If you're like me in a colder climate, you've no doubt gotten out of your car when its running and had it double honk at you when you shut the door. I've been sitting on the fix for this for a while as I didn't have time to test with other cars, but now that I have, its going public!
    Today we're going to cover how to get rid of this absolutely asinine feature!

Background:
    Early 2013 Focus STs (build dates in 2012) did not do the double honk. Sometime before 5/13/13 (when my car was made), Ford decided this feature was going to be part of the Focus ST.
    Special thanks to @Fuxalt and @ddfred who both have early 2013s and helped me out with their VINs so I could pull down calibration info from one of these early birds!

You will need:
    - OBDII Adapter. I recommend an OBDLink MX or SX.
    - Forscan with the Extended License

We're going to modify the As-Built of your BCM module to disable the double honk.

Step 1: CONNECT
    Step 2: Go to Programming and Configuration
    Step 3: Select BCM (AS-BUILT) and hit the "Play" button.
    Step 4: On the first row you will have something like: 726-01-01 0194 0000 00C4
    Step 5: Modify the FIRST slot by subtracting 80 from it: 726-01-01 0114 0000 00C4
    Step 6: Click Write
    Step 7: It will complain about the checksum. I didn't cover how to fix that, because its non-important. The checksum is never actually stored or returned by the ECU, and is entirely for As-Built software to verify stuff was copied correctly. Simply click Yes to write.

The car will proceed to reset some modules when completed. Have fun, you've now disabled the double-honk!

How does it work? Simply, As-Built information contains configuration information for different modules. In this case, we're setting bit 15 of the second byte low, as this bit indicates whether double honk is activated or not (1 for activated, 0 for deactivated). We're deactivating it via this method. If you instead had a vehicle with honk and wanted it (because you're crazy), then you could set the bit and write it.

Other things can be configured this way as well. Navigation, radio setup, rear view camera (as shown). Navigation is out there as well, but is more involved. I may write that up at a later date, but it is on other forums currently.

Have fun with your honk-free adventures!

Steve

Holy ****ing ****.

I bow down before your epicness.

May the honks be gone forever.

Much excite.
    LilHaile and LeojST like this.
    Owner and lead tech of Duece's Wrenchworx. The one stop shade tree ST shop.

Build thread - https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-duecette.html

is driving the beast

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just keep the key in the car problem solved
    you can thank me later

I spend too much of my life on FST! MiSTify's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Early 2013 Focus STs (build dates in 2012) did not do the double honk. Sometime before 5/13/13 (when my car was made), Ford decided this feature was going to be part of the Focus ST.
    Mine is a January 13 build and does the Double honk.
    2013 Ruby Red F150 FX4

Money can't buy happiness, but it can make you awfully comfortable while you're being miserable.

Premium Member
    is "Moderating" all the
    beers ;)

Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MiSTify View Post
    Mine is a January 13 build and does the Double honk.
    Mine is SEP2012. Not sure about @ddfred s
    Engine Cobb APV3- 93 Stratified Tuned CP-E Stage 2 RMM Damond Motorsports PSM Steeda Intake Box with filter/Gen 1 Depo "Son of Beast" 3.5" FMIC MBRP Pro Series Catback Exhaust MBRP 3" Catless Downpipe Forge BOV
    Shift Boosted Designs Trans/Shift Bushings Breedt Shift Arm Anarchy Motive Shift Knob Ford Racing Short Shifter
    Visual Velossa Tech Wing Risers DMB Green Emblems Shift boot re-stitched Green Steering wheel enameled green Engine Covers and Calipers Panted Green Green Fog Light Bulbs Smoked LED Tail Lights Boosted Designs Mud Flaps Visual Garage Shark Fin
    Suspension Proline 901 18x8 ET40 Cooper Zeon RS3-S tires Hawk Sector 27 rotors Hawk HPS pads

Premium Member
    is training to beat Goku, or at
    least Krillin.

Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a September 2012 build that does have the double honk.

I spend too much of my life on FST! cheatingk9610's Avatar
    is Needing Mo Boost

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shorty View Post
    just keep the key in the car problem solved
    you can thank me later
    While this is true. It's nice to be able to keep your key in pocket as most do anyway.

Awesome find. will be trying this soon!

Thank you!

I spend too much of my life on FST! phantomknight321's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I get out to check the mail I have to have my keys, sometimes I check it pretty late so this will avoid having neighbors that want to blow up my car!

I am pretty familiar with this as it is how I enabled nav on my car, so this is pretty easy by comparison. I wonder if the global window up/down can be done this way too, I am getting tired of FoCCCus not working most of the time on my friends cars
    STKnight likes this.
    '13 Race Red Focus ST2 "Asuka"
    CURRENT MODS: Cobb APv2 OTS Stage 1, Cobb Drop in filter, Cobb short shift plate, Boomba BOV, AnarchyMotive Mammoth shift knob, FSWERKS RMM Insert, Custom Exhaust, Headlight Armor GT Yellow Fogs, Garageline 15/20 spacers, silicone intake elbow, Navigation hack, hash marks, black center caps
    UPCOMING MODS: Rokblokz mud flaps, more plastidip, Diode Dynamics RGB LEDs, Shifter bushings

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links