Replacing All Speakers in ST1- Suggestions/Info
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Replacing All Speakers in ST1- Suggestions/Info

is Boutta get my camping game on!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing All Speakers in ST1- Suggestions/Info

Hey everyone,

I have finally grown tired of the awful speakers in my 13' ST1. Now, speakers/car audio has never been my thing, so I'm looking for some solid recommendations as far as first hand experience with which brand you went with and how you like it. I am simply looking to upgrade my (6) speakers, 2 tweeters, 2 front speakers and 2 rear. I know the main speakers (front & rear) are 6.5" and tweeters are 3/4". I've done some research and price checks etc...but again, I'm a noob to the car audio world.

Secondly, considering I am simply changing out speakers, I shouldn't need new harnesses, and etc...correct? I'd like to be around $50-$80 for the tweeter pair, and somewhere around $50-$80 for the speaker pairs (so $100-$160 for front and back) as well. I know it's not the healthiest budget, but I just want a better sound, with a little more bass, without breaking the bank. For what it's worth (for sound gurus), I listen primarily to metal, hard rock, etc...

Thanks in advance peeps

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SToked13 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I have finally grown tired of the awful speakers in my 13' ST1. Now, speakers/car audio has never been my thing, so I'm looking for some solid recommendations as far as first hand experience with which brand you went with and how you like it. I am simply looking to upgrade my (6) speakers, 2 tweeters, 2 front speakers and 2 rear. I know the main speakers (front & rear) are 6.5" and tweeters are 3/4". I've done some research and price checks etc...but again, I'm a noob to the car audio world.

Secondly, considering I am simply changing out speakers, I shouldn't need new harnesses, and etc...correct? I'd like to be around $50-$80 for the tweeter pair, and somewhere around $50-$80 for the speaker pairs (so $100-$160 for front and back) as well. I know it's not the healthiest budget, but I just want a better sound, with a little more bass, without breaking the bank. For what it's worth (for sound gurus), I listen primarily to metal, hard rock, etc...

Thanks in advance peeps

I'm currently in the process of slowly putting my system together in my st1. so far all I've changed out as the front woofer and tweeter. I used the JBL GTO 609 c. It is a component set. You can get them for about 80 bucks affair woofer Tweeter and crossovers. I plan on installing components in the rear doors also I'm just flush mounting it sweeter in the position where it would be in an st3. It's marked on the back of the door panel.I will tell you since putting in the components that in the front just still hooked to the stock stereo and it sounds so much better.I'm almost considering not installing my 4 channel amp and using that for speakers I could mount in the hatch for when there's a party. Slayer, Slipknot, Lamb of God they all sound great. Granted there 6 and 1/2 so there isn't much low bass from them. They definitely have some mid bass punch and they're still off the factory they should really kick a$& with 10 times the power. There was one set on eBay the other day for $65 with a damaged box.
    SToked13 likes this.

is so mote be it

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you read through this thread? Some good info in there on speaker only upgrades:
    https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...stimonies.html
    SToked13 likes this.
    Mod list here

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
    Have you read through this thread? Some good info in there on speaker only upgrades:
    https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...stimonies.html
    I did read through some, but like all threads- it gets to off-topic to & from directly to people, etc....so I stopped.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G heinrich View Post
    I'm currently in the process of slowly putting my system together in my st1. so far all I've changed out as the front woofer and tweeter. I used the JBL GTO 609 c. It is a component set. You can get them for about 80 bucks affair woofer Tweeter and crossovers. I plan on installing components in the rear doors also I'm just flush mounting it sweeter in the position where it would be in an st3. It's marked on the back of the door panel.I will tell you since putting in the components that in the front just still hooked to the stock stereo and it sounds so much better.I'm almost considering not installing my 4 channel amp and using that for speakers I could mount in the hatch for when there's a party. Slayer, Slipknot, Lamb of God they all sound great. Granted there 6 and 1/2 so there isn't much low bass from them. They definitely have some mid bass punch and they're still off the factory they should really kick a$& with 10 times the power. There was one set on eBay the other day for $65 with a damaged box.
    Good to know, I'd really like to add a nice sub(s) eventually in the hatch and change out the awful head unit but it's not cheap.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know, I'd really like to add a nice sub(s) eventually in the hatch and change out the awful head unit but it's not cheap.

If you're just changing speakers right now and not adding an amp.I suggest maybe skipping the rear speakers and just changing the front component set. You don't get much sound out of the rear to begin with. But then again I haven't installed the jbl's in the rear yet.With the higher sensitivity the rear channel may get louder. But just the front channel is a vast improvement. And they do get pretty loud off the head unit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're just changing speakers right now and not adding an amp.I suggest maybe skipping the rear speakers and just changing the front component set. You don't get much sound out of the rear to begin with. But then again I haven't installed the jbl's in the rear yet.With the higher sensitivity the rear channel may get louder. But just the front channel is a vast improvement. And they do get pretty loud off the head unit.
    Awesome, thanks for the info. That'll also save me a little $$ too so i'll give it a shot to see what I think at least. So basically, replace the two tweets and 2 front door speakers? I'll look on crutchfield here shortly
    Last edited by SToked13; 04-02-2019 at 12:46 PM.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, thanks for the info. That'll also save me a little $$ too so i'll give it a shot to see what I think at least.

I chose these for the highest sensitivity so they get loud about a lot of power if it can still handle a lot of power when I hook them up to the amp.And the tweeters fits in the door pod perfectly.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F301688395876

I spend too much of my life on FST! StanE's Avatar
    is Respect Your Elders!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with just a speaker upgrade in my 2013 ST1 and I used Infinity Primus all round - 6.5 2 way components with crossover up front and the 6.5 with the coaxial tweeter in the rear. Sounded better than stock but don't expect miracles with the OEM head unit power.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StanE View Post
    I started with just a speaker upgrade in my 2013 ST1 and I used Infinity Primus all round - 6.5 2 way components with crossover up front and the 6.5 with the coaxial tweeter in the rear. Sounded better than stock but don't expect miracles with the OEM head unit power.

I used to the same speakers in my SE. Components upfront coaxials in the rear. Except they were infinity reference the older version of the Primus.I was pushing 140 Watts RMS to each of them and they're rated for 60 RMS. They're still going today. I sold the car to my buddy's daughter she's still bump in the system. Two infinity kappa TENS in the trunk with passive radiators. Running on 1600 Watts at 1 ohm. Together they're rated for 750 rms. And it's pulling all that power from a 5-channel amplifier that is under $150. Been 4 years still going strong.I did make a box and fan around half of the amplifier to blow air through a keep it cool. Since I dropped the ohm load on the sub channel to 1 ohm. It's not rated for that. But like I said it's still going strong and doesn't get hot.
    Last edited by G heinrich; 04-02-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links