Second Battery for Amplifiers - Page 14
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Second Battery for Amplifiers

I spend too much of my life on FST! G heinrich's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boostinburgh View Post
    Still chasing the amp going into protect mode randomly. Going to check ground again to make extra sure it’s not a ground issue, even after three ground locations, all 100% correct gauge crutchfield wiring the amp still goes into protect mode at higher volumes. It almost seems like it is the songs where the highs are loud and the bass is loud, aka both amps pulling a lot of power.

I can DUMP “Lost” by Gorilla Zoe to the point it hurts my ears (hardly any highs), but songs like “do re me” feat Gucci mane and “drank in my cup” by Kirko bangz and random sublime and dirty heads songs has lots of highs too and makes my kicker amp go into protect but my dual amp never shuts off or goes into protect (not saying that’s ideal as it’s probably unregulated.)

I read this article from JL Audio stating I will never get my car to put out enough power.

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...bile_site=true

Should I give up on bass?

Should I try another battery in hatch? Without upgrading the alt or doing the rest of the big three, could the extra battery even help me?

I can add the extra battery, since I already ran the 1/0 back there, but I don’t feel comfortable doing the rest of the big three or replacing alternator.

Would it be worth next step to pay a reputable local shop to do the rest of the big three first before the additional battery?

I feel defeated guys.

Apparently kicker has a super protective system built into their amps that makes them go into protect mode with voltage drop and all kicker amp reviews say you need an extra battery to properly run these kicker amps. I don’t see people stating they’ve added the big three or a h/o alt.

Decisions decisions

Well for one there are no high output alts for car I wish there was. And are you monitoring your systems voltage when it's goes into protect? And I have no doubt that is a second battery and the Big 3 would help you also I'm sure cap wouldn't hurt. But it's still all kind of a Band-Aid without a high output alternator. In a spl competitions they can throw their car on a charger in between burps.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Review of the amp I have.. one of many
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G heinrich View Post
    Still chasing the amp going into protect mode randomly. Going to check ground again to make extra sure it’s not a ground issue, even after three ground locations, all 100% correct gauge crutchfield wiring the amp still goes into protect mode at higher volumes. It almost seems like it is the songs where the highs are loud and the bass is loud, aka both amps pulling a lot of power.

I can DUMP “Lost” by Gorilla Zoe to the point it hurts my ears (hardly any highs), but songs like “do re me” feat Gucci mane and “drank in my cup” by Kirko bangz and random sublime and dirty heads songs has lots of highs too and makes my kicker amp go into protect but my dual amp never shuts off or goes into protect (not saying that’s ideal as it’s probably unregulated.)

I read this article from JL Audio stating I will never get my car to put out enough power.

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...bile_site=true

Should I give up on bass?

Should I try another battery in hatch? Without upgrading the alt or doing the rest of the big three, could the extra battery even help me?

I can add the extra battery, since I already ran the 1/0 back there, but I don’t feel comfortable doing the rest of the big three or replacing alternator.

Would it be worth next step to pay a reputable local shop to do the rest of the big three first before the additional battery?

I feel defeated guys.

Apparently kicker has a super protective system built into their amps that makes them go into protect mode with voltage drop and all kicker amp reviews say you need an extra battery to properly run these kicker amps. I don’t see people stating they’ve added the big three or a h/o alt.

Decisions decisions

Well for one there are no high output alts for car I wish there was. And are you monitoring your systems voltage when it's goes into protect? And I have no doubt that is a second battery and the Big 3 would help you also I'm sure cap wouldn't hurt. But it's still all kind of a Band-Aid without a high output alternator. In a spl competitions they can throw their car on a charger in between burps.
    Unable to use multimeter and replicate problem, probably because I get yelled at because of the noise and have to call it quits before my multimeter testing gets too involved. And also seems random at times too. Like I slammed my brakes earlier and my subs cut (perhaps the abs feature drained some electricity causing this?). So many variables.

How hard is it to get to the negative post of the alt? What safety precautions are needed messing with the alternator?

I’m thinking I should take it to a shop (Cazillia Audio in Pittsburgh) for the alternator wires and engine ground.

I’m not the best with electricity as you guys can tell, so not sure how comfortable I feel doing the rest of the big three.

Extra battery first I can do myself, or take to shop for big three first?

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone having issues w these
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it even possible to access the alternator negative without removing major components from the vehicle?

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it even possible to access the alternator negative without removing major components from the vehicle?

I haven't looked on this car but I'm pretty sure the negative is normally the alternator housing. Sometimes there's a threaded hole in the housing where you can add a bolt that had a second ground.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't looked on this car but I'm pretty sure the negative is normally the alternator housing. Sometimes there's a threaded hole in the housing where you can add a bolt that had a second ground.
    This is good to know relating to the ground. Pretty sure the positive is on the right side of the alt maybe even accessible from the top of the engine bay.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is good to know relating to the ground. Pretty sure the positive is on the right side of the alt maybe even accessible from the top of the engine bay.

Yes Big 3 is chassis ground engine ground and positive from the alternator.no need to add a ground from the alternator the alternator is grounded through the alternator bracket it self.I have heard of people doing a big 4 and adding a ground from the alternator directly to the battery 4 to the chassis near the battery. But most people don't.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also wondered since the output of our alternators are you controlled by the PCM. Does it see the load from our amplifiers if you are connected directly to the battery increase the output of the alternator. Also I believe it see the load through the ground side. But I'm not sure I believe that's how it was on my 09 SE.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep seeing contradicting info on the big three. Exo on YouTube runs a ground from alt negative to battery negative. Sonic electronic just upgrades the engine ground to chassis and does not touch the alternator ground. Exo doesn’t touch the engine ground though! Other people commenting saying to upgrade engine to chassis ground AS WELL as adding engine to battery negative ground...

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links