Focus ST Safety Engineer?? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Focus ST Safety Engineer??

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanook ST View Post
    Attachment 219769

Last month I had a head on collision in my 2014 ST with a combined speed of 70+MPH. My son and I were blessed to be able to walk away from the crash pretty much with no injuries and so was the other driver who hit me (his fault 16 yr old new driver). I was so impressed with how our cars are able to take a hit like this and no one get hurt that I rushed out and bought another one. If anyone knows who, or how, I can get in contact with the Ford Safety Engineers who do/did the design work on these cars please let me know. I would like to send them a personal thank you letter for saving our lives that night!!

Now comes more fun of having to go customize a new ST!!

Thank you Ford!!
    I'm glad you're ok and the focus is definitely built well in that the chassis is pretty stiff for its weight.

One misconception you made that many others make is that 2 cars driving 35 mph each and hit head on is equivalent to a 70 mph impact. This actually isn't the case, as the kinetic energy involved is distributed among 2 cars and not one during an impact. Now if you are actually saying that you were driving 70 mph and another car was coming at you at 70 mph and you hit them, well then that would be legit. Based on the photo, that doesn't look like a 70 mph impact.

If you're curious about the physics here, this quick video will help

Mythbusters | Crash Force - Video Dailymotion
    BetaDnB and AndyH like this.

Premium Member
    is wishing he was hammock camping
    deep in the woods.

Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another unfortunate post that adds to the reinforcement in my mind that I'm safe under normal conditions in my car. Which, helps me feel safe putting members of my family or my girlfriend in it. Glad everyone is okay! I'd honestly call my dealer if I were you and try to get info that way or even call a Ford number online and reach out to corporate.
    LockeLamora33 likes this.
    2014 Performance Blue ST3

Stratified 93Oct Tune - AP v3
    CP-E 3.5" FMIC
    Depo Racing Catless DP
    MBRP CBE
    Cobb CAI
    AEM DryFlow Air Filter
    Boomba Racing Wing Risers and BOV
    Option Labs R716 Wheels in Bronze
    VelossaTech Rear Diffuser Fins
    Rally Armour Mud Flaps
    Yellow LED Amazon Fogs
    NGK LTR7IX-11 Spark Plugs
    Subdued Flag Decals (2) with Thin Blue Line

is hailing Dictator Perpetuo
    Deucius McCrackus Ceasarus!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnfocusedST View Post
    Not a feature. Nature of the transmission.

Sent from another garage.
    Yep. I want to say it was the thread about hidden features that this was discussed in length. I still like to refer to it as a "feature" because I know someone will come correct me. It's a troll move, only I am not doing it to tick someone off. Just waiting for someone to catch me on it and comment. So @UnfocusedST wins today's prize!
    UnfocusedST likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

I spend too much of my life on FST! WeST.'s Avatar
    is it the what the even

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jam360nml View Post
    Yep. I want to say it was the thread about hidden features that this was discussed in length. I still like to refer to it as a "feature" because I know someone will come correct me. It's a troll move, only I am not doing it to tick someone off. Just waiting for someone to catch me on it and comment. So @UnfocusedST wins today's prize!
    Also want to comment on it because I lol'd at that comment.

Definitely seems like a crawl mode, and I've used it a lot. Parking lots / slow traffic so long as a cushion of space can be maintained.
    2014 Focus ST - RIP
    2013 500 Abarth - Current
    Past: '90 MX-5 Miata, '97 WRX Sportwagon, '01 Integra SE, '95 Prelude VTEC

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanook ST View Post
    [iurl="https://www.focusst.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=219769&d=1490056902"][/iurl]

Last month I had a head on collision in my 2014 ST with a combined speed of 70+MPH. My son and I were blessed to be able to walk away from the crash pretty much with no injuries and so was the other driver who hit me (his fault 16 yr old new driver). I was so impressed with how our cars are able to take a hit like this and no one get hurt that I rushed out and bought another one. If anyone knows who, or how, I can get in contact with the Ford Safety Engineers who do/did the design work on these cars please let me know. I would like to send them a personal thank you letter for saving our lives that night!!

Now comes more fun of having to go customize a new ST!!

Thank you Ford!!
    I am not a safety engineer but I am a tech who works with the safety engineers and do all the safety testing at Ford and am glad you were able to walk away. We take our job very serious and strive to go above and beyond to make vehicles as safe as possible.
    ChrisL likes this.

is rocking new Firestone 500
    tires that were on sale at
    Tire Rack for net $100 each!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j14woods View Post
    I am not a safety engineer but I am a tech who works with the safety engineers and do all the safety testing at Ford and am glad you were able to walk away. We take our job very serious and strive to go above and beyond to make vehicles as safe as possible.
    Please let them know we appreciate all their and your good work!

It's posts like these that convinced me to buy a Focus SE for my daughter who got her license this year.

Best regards to all,
    Mark

2013 Race Red ST1

Breedt Short Shift Arm | Carbotech 1521 Bobcat Brake Pads | cp-e Stage 1 70 Duro RMM | FRPP Inlet | Ford Carbon Shift Knob | Mountune ClubSport Suspension, Intake Filter, PCV Plate and CAI | NGK 6510 Plugs | RallyArmour Flaps | SkidPlate Guy Steel Skidplate | Steeda FMIC, Symposer Delete and Clutch Pedal Spring | Stratified Tuned | TCE Stainless Brake Lines

I spend too much of my life on FST! Soden82's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ91284 View Post
    I'm glad you're ok and the focus is definitely built well in that the chassis is pretty stiff for its weight.

One misconception you made that many others make is that 2 cars driving 35 mph each and hit head on is equivalent to a 70 mph impact. This actually isn't the case, as the kinetic energy involved is distributed among 2 cars and not one during an impact. Now if you are actually saying that you were driving 70 mph and another car was coming at you at 70 mph and you hit them, well then that would be legit. Based on the photo, that doesn't look like a 70 mph impact.

If you're curious about the physics here, this quick video will help

Mythbusters | Crash Force - Video Dailymotion
    Ahh yes, the concepts of momentum and conservation of energy. I commend you on your knowledge (not trolling).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jam360nml and BetaDnB like this.
    *Freektuned by Justin*
    Depo Racing Son of Beast Intercooler
    NGK 3787 Plugs
    Levels Catless Downpipe
    GReddy Exhaust
    Steeda RMM
    TFB Designs Ford Decals
    Steeda Sound Symposer Delete
    JLT Oil Separator
    Drag Dr67 18x8
    VG shark fin antenna
    35% tint
    VelossaTech Designs "ST" Front and Back Logo

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have worked with safety engineers and they would definitely love to hear from you. you will have to contact ford via their corporate arm. i would recommend just searching for them on linkedin and sending them a private message. they would love to know they saved you from harm.

I spend too much of my life on FST! socar's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The Ford Focus is an IIHS Top Safety pick.

That alone was a reason for me to want to get a Focus in any sense after reading the crash reviews on it. The only one that it didn't do well on (pretty much nobody does well on) was the offset impact but that one reviewed better than pretty much everything else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links