Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Dumb question

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  jdw3md 
#1 ·
Hey so I’m new to having a turbo and stuff that comes with it. But like what are these gauges on the left and right for? I know what the boost gauge is but like should I watch for these or what should they be at while driving ?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Dont get into heavy boost until the left gauge is to the first notch, the far right one will be pegged to the right as well until the car is warmed (cold oil = extra pressure.) Also, if you notice the right gauge in the red or suddenly drops towards it, shut your car off right away, something not good probably just happened. Oil pressure is typically a good thing, lack of it means your oil left the building

#4 ·
Also stay out the boost, unless you are over 3,000 rpm as a good rule.

#6 ·
In warm weather, oil temp generally settles just below half way (like it is in your photo). If you're really whipping ass in the heat, it might occasionally scoot slightly above the half way mark but it will drop back down when you let it cool off a bit.

Oil pressure will be high on a cold start and then settle down once things have circulated.

#9 ·
Like everyone else said, just make sure your oil temp is at the first notch before hitting boost (if you can help it) and as long as your oil pressure doesn't suddenly drop you have nothing to worry about.

Side note, these are the kinds of questions these gauges got remove from dashboards because people didn't know what they were looking at haha. But good for you for asking the question, the more knowledgeable you can be, the longer your car will last and the happier you'll be with it.

#12 ·
Stay away from no-name gas stations. Only weirdness with my car comes from finickiness about fuel. Thought I was losing another purge valve because the idle was rough and I was getting misses in 6th under 3500 with a very light load, but it turned out to be a couple bad tanks of gas from a Shell station. I should have known as it's done that before (emergency fuel required and no other place open but a generic place). If you have 93 available, use that. Even in winter on long highway cruise runs, I find using lower octane to be false economy as, not only is there a noticeable drop in power, but the mileage is worse. I wouldn't even attempt it in the summer.

No internal mods to do, especially if you're not doing anything to make more power.

#13 ·
THIS. Both tuners I have used discourage Shell gas specifically. I've always used 76/Costco/Chevron living out west and haven't had any issues at all with them. Even when I first used Costco gas, although they're top tier, I was still anxiously watching my ignition corrections but never saw any knocks. And I've seen some scary ones with Shell. And yeah, lower octane doesn't really help in any way, it's simply more likely to give you knock and your car might not drive quite as well as it had before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.