Focus transmissions that commit suicide
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Focus transmissions that commit suicide

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Focus transmissions that commit suicide

https://www.freep.com/in-depth/money...ct/1671198001/

I just keep seeing these stories over and over again. My girlfriend has a 2013 base focus with this piece of garbage transmission in it. It got 'serviced' once for jerking and then we had to bring it back and the dealer had to replace the clutch packs. Thank heavens the car had a warranty and it was covered but how long before the transmisson starts acting up again.

Glad I have an ST.

Great side note. In the story I link they picture a focus st which is funny.

is boy calls it "daddies
    vroom vroom"

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by typicalmiracle View Post
    Great side note. In the story I link they picture a focus st which is funny.
    twice. silly. shows you that the people writing the material know less than the readers

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had friends and family ask me about cars they should or shouldn't purchase. I tell all of them to specifically avoid the 2012- Focus and any Fiesta with this transmission.

I rented one of these in 2012 and drove it over 500 miles in one weekend. I think it had between 10k and 20k on the odometer. It ran well on the highway but it herked and jerked in first gear in any condition. I knew at that time that Ford probably had a major design flaw on their hands. To this day, I don't know why they didn't abandon the unit for a traditional automatic with a torque converter. Yes, the weight of the cars would have increased. Yes, the fuel economy would have decreased. But they'd have a couple billion extra dollars, and there would be far fewer future customers who "will never own a Ford again".
    Duchess likes this.
    2015 Magnetic Metallic Ford Focus ST3
    2016 Dodge Grand Caravan AVP
    2003 Ford Focus ZX5. 157k miles and counting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeChuck View Post
    I've had friends and family ask me about cars they should or shouldn't purchase. I tell all of them to specifically avoid the 2012- Focus and any Fiesta with this transmission.

I rented one of these in 2012 and drove it over 500 miles in one weekend. I think it had between 10k and 20k on the odometer. It ran well on the highway but it herked and jerked in first gear in any condition. I knew at that time that Ford probably had a major design flaw on their hands. To this day, I don't know why they didn't abandon the unit for a traditional automatic with a torque converter. Yes, the weight of the cars would have increased. Yes, the fuel economy would have decreased. But they'd have a couple billion extra dollars, and there would be far fewer future customers who "will never own a Ford again".
    Yeah man. Ford wouldn't be my first choice for a vehicle but sometimes you can't pass up a good deal on a ST.

Me and my gf weren't together at the time she bought her focus but if we were, I would of advised a Toyota or honda.

is so mote be it

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah you can head to focusfanatics and read page after page about that trans. The mk3 focus is a fine economy car, just dont buy the auto.
    Mod list here

I spend too much of my life on FST! GotAFoSTnSpeed6's Avatar
    is Someone is pissing in the
    drinking water

What what in the butt, what what in the butt...oh I mean 717 yoo..York PA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't just those years my lady who I have been with for going 17 yrs since we were 16 had a 2 focuses her mom and dad bought her. A zx3 backin 04 or 05 and that was an automatic that they went through 2 trans in before lemoning the car and then gave her a year or two newer zx3 5speed which wasn't a half bad car. Man those things were dogs though.
    2018 Ford Focus ST2
    Metallic Blue
    Velossa Tech Big Mouth Ram Air
    Stock Air box w/ K&N filter
    Mountune Symposer Delete
    Levels Performance FMIC w/
    HKS SQV4 endtank mounted
    Treadstone Factory BV Plugged
    BoomBa Racing Shifter Base & Cable Bracket Bushings
    Ford Racing Short Shifter
    COBB v3 Accessport

I spend too much of my life on FST! Duchess's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2012 SE was as reliable as Toyota's reputation. Of course, it did have a manual transmission. A shame that such a good car not only had its reputation ruined by the typical kind of shady BS I would have expected from Ford in the past (why I was never interested in a Ford before the SE), but I think it's a big reason the new one isn't being sold in the US. Kind of hard to make enough money with the kind of ongoing warranty claims and sales hit due to the hurt reputation working against an already declining market in a low-profit sector.
    Last edited by Duchess; 07-13-2019 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Stupid—put didn't instead of did

is ok

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had two automatic Focuses as loaners while my ST was in for work.

The first time I had one, I was legitimately freaked out when it continued to accelerate for almost 2 seconds after I let off the gas. Not cool. I did drive one from Chicago down to Nashville and got 40 mpg while steadily doing 90 though I think that speaks more to the engine than the wonky ass transmission.

Believe it or not, there was a guy on here who worked for Ford who legitimately defended these garbage transmissions. It was wild.
    16' Race Red ST1

Potentially helpful things I've done:

Huge cold start misfire thread (with buyback info): https://bit.ly/2JGjjy9

Exterior roof trim removal: https://bit.ly/2LSwskf

Solving interior creaks: https://bit.ly/2tePB8e

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toyota never would have allowed this kind of **** to make it to production. And American companies wonder why Americans don't support "American Made". For decades.... maybe more they foisted complete **** on the American consumer. This is just more of the same.

People who stand behind this **** have no pride. Don't give me **** about buying a Kia when Ford, the inventory of the automobile is willing to go deliver this crap on their customer base.

is so mote be it

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GotAFoSTnSpeed6 View Post
    A zx3 backin 04 or 05 and that was an automatic that they went through 2 trans in before lemoning the car and then gave her a year or two newer zx3 5speed which wasn't a half bad car. Man those things were dogs though.
    the auto zx3 must have been a fluke. The auto in the 00-11's was fine, I've been on focus forums for over a decade and heard very little issues with them. My sister is still racking up the miles on her '07 ses and zero problems with the trans (or anything outside of wear items)
    Mod list here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links