Caliper painting question
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Caliper painting question

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caliper painting question

The short version of the back story is I tried painting calipers over the weekend. VHT primer wouldn't dry and kept pulling every time it touched something, even though calipers had been extensively prepped and cleaned. I shot part of a rear caliper with color and found the VHT real red turned out to be too dark for my tastes and now I want to change color brands and go with Rustoleum.

My question is - for best results, would it be better to strip the off all of VHT primer and then use the Rustoleum primer and color or just use use the Rustoleum over the VHT and call it a day?

Thanks in advance.

43rdworld

I spend too much of my life on FST! StanE's Avatar
    is Respect Your Elders!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 43rdworld View Post
    The short version of the back story is I tried painting calipers over the weekend. VHT primer wouldn't dry and kept pulling every time it touched something, even though calipers had been extensively prepped and cleaned. I shot part of a rear caliper with color and found the VHT real red turned out to be too dark for my tastes and now I want to change color brands and go with Rustoleum.

My question is - for best results, would it be better to strip the off all of VHT primer and then use the Rustoleum primer and color or just use use the Rustoleum over the VHT and call it a day?

Thanks in advance.

43rdworld
    Bummer that you are having difficulties with the VHT paint. I painted mine a year or so ago (off the car) and used G2 caliper paint with brushes (no primer) and had really great and durable results (and I like their red shade also - very close to the OE painted calipers).
    Name:  100000 Miles Front Wheel.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  3.50 MB
    Duece McCracken and KonabluST like this.

Super Moderator Duece McCracken's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is boosting again, but that 5spd
    life, ugh.

Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Thanks in advance.

43rdworld
    G2 caliper paint is the way to go. Two part epoxy type paint you brush on. That lasts. I have been using it for years, and its still the best option for price, application, and durability.
    Owner and lead tech of Duece's Wrenchworx. The one stop shade tree ST shop.

Build thread - https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-duecette.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

is so mote be it

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used VHT spray on my rears, didnt have any issues. Are you within the temp and humidity range per the can? I painted junk yard brackets, so i cleaned and wheel brushed them real well to get all the rust off and then used brake cleaner prior to spraying, didnt have any issues with lift/adhesion. If your cans were cold, you can try warming them in hot water prior to shaking them up and a heat gun on your metal parts. I had painted mine over winter/spring so i did both those tricks to get the temps up.
    Mod list here

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did put the cans in hot water prior to spraying, so it may have been humidity - although I didn't think it was that bad - but who knows. I wound up putting them out in the sun for several hours to bake and that seemed to help.

Question about the G2 system - I pulled the carrier brackets as well. Do you all think there's enough to do calipers and brackets?

Super Moderator Duece McCracken's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is boosting again, but that 5spd
    life, ugh.

Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I did put the cans in hot water prior to spraying, so it may have been humidity - although I didn't think it was that bad - but who knows. I wound up putting them out in the sun for several hours to bake and that seemed to help.

Question about the G2 system - I pulled the carrier brackets as well. Do you all think there's enough to do calipers and brackets?
    Yes there is! There's quite a bit or product, and it goes pretty far. I would do the calipers first, then the fronts of the carriers, then work around to the sections you don't see. Just to make sure you get enough product where it counts.

Also the area where the spring sits that holds the pads, I suggest masking that area off, the spring is going to wreck it anyway.
    Owner and lead tech of Duece's Wrenchworx. The one stop shade tree ST shop.

Build thread - https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-duecette.html

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StanE View Post
    Bummer that you are having difficulties with the VHT paint. I painted mine a year or so ago (off the car) and used G2 caliper paint with brushes (no primer) and had really great and durable results (and I like their red shade also - very close to the OE painted calipers).
    Name:  100000 Miles Front Wheel.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  3.50 MB
    I did g2 as well. Way better in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spend too much of my life on FST! StanE's Avatar
    is Respect Your Elders!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece McCracken View Post
    Yes there is! There's quite a bit or product, and it goes pretty far. I would do the calipers first, then the fronts of the carriers, then work around to the sections you don't see. Just to make sure you get enough product where it counts.

Also the area where the spring sits that holds the pads, I suggest masking that area off, the spring is going to wreck it anyway.
    As the Deuce says, there's plenty of paint in one G2 can, but be prepared to do all the painting you want in one session as it will go off and be unusable after a day or so. Also, DO NOT use the little brush that comes with the can - it will shed hair everywhere. Get decent quality artist brushes in a couple of different sizes and you will be good to go.

is so mote be it

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StanE View Post
    As the Deuce says, there's plenty of paint in one G2 can, but be prepared to do all the painting you want in one session as it will go off and be unusable after a day or so. Also, DO NOT use the little brush that comes with the can - it will shed hair everywhere. Get decent quality artist brushes in a couple of different sizes and you will be good to go.
    I did the duplicolor brush on with my old focus...same thing, terrible brush that the bristles started to fall right off. I dont understand how they cant include a half decent brush. BTW, the duplicolor lasted about two Ohio winters before i started seeing chips/fading. Plenty of product left over to redo them but i wouldnt recommend
    Mod list here

is boy calls it "daddies
    vroom vroom"

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done so many sets of calipers with:
    https://www.duplicolor.com/product/caliper-paint/

Clean with brake clean, sand and wirebrush, clean with brake clean... of a lot of blue tape... spray on paint

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links