With stock turbo (plus tune) does the BOV choice matter?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By PDXslowboi
  • 1 Post By TrikSTer

Thread: With stock turbo (plus tune) does the BOV choice matter?

is contemplating future upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With stock turbo (plus tune) does the BOV choice matter?

I've read that the stock setup, with the vacuum pump line, and the diverter valve, is what Ford decided was the safest setup for our engines and turbo. After getting tuned, since the stock diverter valve is reportedly not quite up to the task, I upgraded to a turbosmart 50/50. Is this still the safest setup if I still have a stock turbo and wastegate? I would love to have a cpe kit with a tial BOV, although the cost is a bit high. But if I ran that setup and used the vacuum from my symposer delete, would it make any difference? I have done a lot of searches, but this is one detail that seems to be missing from what I have found. I am hoping to gain some better understanding, and less flaming, from my question! Thanks in advance.
    Fswerks: short shift kit, air intake, intercooler, catted downpipe & catback exhaust with Cobb hangers, rear motor mount, stage 3 tune
    JBR: symposer delete, short-throw shifter
    Turbosmart BOV
    TB Perf: cross-member brace, rear-mid chassis brace, rear sway bar end links, torque gusset
    RS Air Box
    Diode Dynamics LED yellow fog lights
    Steeda jack rails
    Sync3 upgrade (flvpmods.com)

Up Next:
    Damond throttle body & spacer
    Boomba intake manifold spacer

Planned:
    PowerFlex ST handling pack

Premium Member
    is here

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say the Mountune unit is the safest BOV setup as it operates just as factory does, just better construction. But with that being said I don't think any of the other BOV/BPV options are "unsafe" as long as they are operating properly.
    Stratified Custom Tune (91 and E30) CPE Lightweight FMIC VelossaTech Intake Snorkel
    FSwerks Shift Bracket+Busings (40%) Wilwood FNSL6 14" NGK LTR7IX-11
    Green Filter Steeda RMM, TTR Upper Passenger Gloss black wrapped roof
    TSW Rivage 18X8 5-108 +40mm Husky Liner Floor mats (All) Global windows mod
    Fogs on with High Beam mod (Diode Dynamics XML2 Fogs) Limo tint rear, Front legal Proclip Pillar mount
    Led Interior lights Breedt APM

is looking up parts I can't
    afford

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I haven't heard of anyone having turbo issues with an after-market BOV, especially from the most popular brands. Even those that upgrade but stay stock tuned are fine, they just typically have some purging. I've had the boomba, turbosmart 50/50, and currently the HKS. To your question about the symposer delete, I would ABSOLUTELY recommend that to create a true vacuum if you're using a vented BOV, like you are with the turbosmart. You'll be much happier with the manner in which it blows off, and when I did it I noticed it wasn't quite as loud and I absolutely loved that about it.

In short, you shouldn't have an issue upgrading the BOV. When you upgrade, create a true vac using the symposer delete (Here's a good how-to thread by @nickbaldwin86 if you need: https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...al-vacuum.html)
    nickbaldwin86 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran an open-ended green filter with a two and a half inch catback and a turbosmart 50/50 bov I'm stock tune for about 8 months. First thing I did when it was new. Never had any issues.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Turbosmart Kompact 50/50, and recently swapped to natural vacuum after doing my symposer delete. So far it hasn't been opening the BOV until above 5psi or so of boost, and thus has been causing some compressor surge (the flutter sounds awesome, but I know it's bad for my turbo). I've been trying to soften the BOV spring pre-load, but it seems like it isn't doing much, and because of where the BOV is located on the ST, I'm not sure how much more room I have to turn it before it's too loose. Is it necessary to get a softer spring to install in the Turbosmart?
    Last edited by Chrysopoeia; Today at 01:12 PM.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysopoeia View Post
    I have a Turbosmart Kompact 50/50, and recently swapped to natural vacuum after doing my symposer delete. So far it hasn't been opening the BOV until above 5psi or so of boost, and thus has been causing some compressor surge (the flutter sounds awesome, but I know it's bad for my turbo). I've been trying to soften the BOV spring pre-load, but it seems like it isn't doing much, and because of where the BOV is located on the ST, I'm not sure how much more room I have to turn it before it's too loose. Is it necessary to get a softer spring to install in the Turbosmart?

Maybe you can get a glance at it from the engine bay. The cap just has to be covering the second o-ring to maintain a seal. I can get mine to blow off around 2 or 3 lb sometimes it seems like less. And there's a difference between flutter and surge.

is FiST to FoST

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    op

-m

+CX))))))))))WWWW )EI;;;;;;;;;;F\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\i[p,,....j

Edit - not trying to hijack this thead, but my 2 new 9 week old Siamese kittens don't understand the Forum rules. roflmao!
    maybe a Moderator could move this post to "for those who want a laugh"!

FYI - Don't worry, I locked them up:

Name:  LockedUp.jpeg
Views: 13
Size:  736.4 KB
    Last edited by TrikSTer; Today at 03:43 PM.
    Duece McCracken likes this.

Super Moderator Duece McCracken's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is boosting again, but that 5spd
    life, ugh.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrikSTer View Post
    op

-m

+CX))))))))))WWWW )EI;;;;;;;;;;F\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\i[p,,....j

Edit - not trying to hijack this thead, but my 2 new 9 week old Siamese kittens don't understand the Forum rules. roflmao!
    maybe a Moderator could move this post to "for those who want a laugh"!

FYI - Don't worry, I locked them up:

Name:  LockedUp.jpeg
Views: 13
Size:  736.4 KB
    Hilarious. Someone reported this post, but after review, it brings me joy. So it stays.
    Owner and lead tech of Duece's Wrenchworx. The one stop shade tree ST shop.

Build thread - https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-duecette.html

Sponsored Links