Redline Tuning Elite Strut Kit
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Duece McCracken

Thread: Redline Tuning Elite Strut Kit

I spend too much of my life on FST! GotAFoSTnSpeed6's Avatar
    is Someone is pissing in the
    drinking water

What what in the butt, what what in the butt...oh I mean 717 yoo..York PA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Redline Tuning Elite Strut Kit

Ok first issue, had everything installed went to double check hood gaps and alignment, make sure everything was tight and snap, hood stud gone. I have googled this and saw its pretty common somewhat, but didn't find anything as far as solutions really that made much sense to me. Secondly kinda pissed with this kit, I mean it is an extra 35 to 40 bucks and its supposed to be ya know progressive opening speed so that as the hood gets to the final inches it slows down alot to open softly. Well the hell witht that, mine opens like its in a race or something? And I am not sure the tension put on the hood studs when it opened didn't help snap the bolt cause I mean this thing opens like crazy fast, and when I saw it opening like that I figured I should double check the tightness cause when this would stop it like shook the hood it was opening so fast. Then also my other issue is before it broke there seems to be alot of tension on the hood at the rear of the hinges with the struts on, to the point when you pull it down to close you can see it flex behind the hinges because the struts are pushing the opposite way. I dunno, all the combined things together and I am not impressed with these, I feel like I could have easily bought the 99 dollar ones or a different companies and got the samething, cause I really liked the idea of the slow down at opening deal the elites are supposed to have, and obviously witht the bolt, thats frustrating although I think thats alil bit me. Not sure what to do now to fix it. I actually took one of the struts off the broken side because it pushed so hard against the hood it wouldve bent the stud that was left, something just doesn't seem right, and I ordered the right set and checked the struts they Focus ST Elite.
    2018 Ford Focus ST2
    Metallic Blue
    Velossa Tech Big Mouth Ram Air
    Stock Air box w/ K&N filter
    Mountune Symposer Delete
    Levels Performance FMIC w/
    HKS SQV4 endtank mounted
    Treadstone Factory BV Plugged
    BoomBa Racing Shifter Base & Cable Bracket Bushings
    Ford Racing Short Shifter
    COBB v3 Accessport

is looking up parts I can't
    afford

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird....I'm considering buying these mostly because I want silver over black but last thing I want is an issue like this, I'll probably go with the regular black ones then.

I spend too much of my life on FST! mmst3's Avatar
    is always modding

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats the difference between the regular and elite other than color and cost? i just have the regular ones and they work great.

'17 MAGNETIC METALLIC ST3
    Turbosmart 50/50 BOV
    AWE Tuning Track Edition
    CJPP High Flow Catted Downpipe
    Maxton Design RS Rear Valance
    Maxton Design Front Splitter/Lip
    RS Summer/Winter Wheels
    Delta Styling Wing
    Airlift 3P

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

Super Moderator Duece McCracken's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is boosting again, but that 5spd
    life, ugh.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I have been running the elites for years now. No problems at all. No rust either, Stainless FTW!!
    TS13FST likes this.
    Owner and lead tech of Duece's Wrenchworx. The one stop shade tree ST shop.

Build thread - https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-duecette.html

drinking water

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK my BIG issue is I bought them because I liked the thought of progressive slow down as they reach the final few inches of opening and mine DO NOT DO THIS WHAT SO EVER!! I mean it looks like the hood kinda bounces when you lift it and let it go, which is what your supposed to be able to do your not supposed to have to hold on to the hood and catch it from shooting through your windshield. Secondly Maybe no one paid attention to this cause I am a sucker for looking at the most minute things. So I wouldn't doubt one bit that other peoples elite kits did the samething they just didn't care or paid attention to it. Secondly the thing with when the hood is open and your not missing any studs or bolts you can see that when you pull down the hood to close it the pressure on the hinges looks like the back 4 or 5 inches of the hood thats sits behind the hinge point you can see flexs at the bolt point. So this also made me wonder if that had anything to do with the bolt snapping causing it didn't happen until after I had everything installed and I was realigning my hood and was loosening and tightening and then it happened. So it had flew open a few times putting a good bit of tension on the bolts. Lastly, they say these can be used on carbon fiber and fiberglass hoods, I do not see how much without causing cracking with the amount of pressure they put out against the hood. I emailed Redline Tuning about it and haven't heard anything also left a review questioning it, nothing yet. I guess I am curious anyone else that hasn't bought the Elite kit that even remembers paying attention to this, when you installed it and opened it for the first time and let go of the hood for it to open itself did it fly up or raise nice and slow and gently. IT almost seemed like it was reversed valved on mine, when you first open the hood it doesn't fly up you have to start giving it alil nudge and it opens slowly and then fuuussshhhh, they spring open like a viper eating a mouse. I mean I can't stress that enough the whole thing with the elite is supposed to be slowed rate of travel when it reaches the final few inches of opening...and well it absolutely does not slow down if it wasn't for bottoming out on the hinges itd keep going.
    2018 Ford Focus ST2
    Metallic Blue
    Mountune Symposer Delete
    HKS SQV4 endtank mounted
    COBB v3 Accessport

is always modding

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GotAFoSTnSpeed6 View Post
    OK my BIG issue is I bought them because I liked the thought of progressive slow down as they reach the final few inches of opening and mine DO NOT DO THIS WHAT SO EVER!! I mean it looks like the hood kinda bounces when you lift it and let it go, which is what your supposed to be able to do your not supposed to have to hold on to the hood and catch it from shooting through your windshield. Secondly Maybe no one paid attention to this cause I am a sucker for looking at the most minute things. So I wouldn't doubt one bit that other peoples elite kits did the samething they just didn't care or paid attention to it. Secondly the thing with when the hood is open and your not missing any studs or bolts you can see that when you pull down the hood to close it the pressure on the hinges looks like the back 4 or 5 inches of the hood thats sits behind the hinge point you can see flexs at the bolt point. So this also made me wonder if that had anything to do with the bolt snapping causing it didn't happen until after I had everything installed and I was realigning my hood and was loosening and tightening and then it happened. So it had flew open a few times putting a good bit of tension on the bolts. Lastly, they say these can be used on carbon fiber and fiberglass hoods, I do not see how much without causing cracking with the amount of pressure they put out against the hood. I emailed Redline Tuning about it and haven't heard anything also left a review questioning it, nothing yet. I guess I am curious anyone else that hasn't bought the Elite kit that even remembers paying attention to this, when you installed it and opened it for the first time and let go of the hood for it to open itself did it fly up or raise nice and slow and gently. IT almost seemed like it was reversed valved on mine, when you first open the hood it doesn't fly up you have to start giving it alil nudge and it opens slowly and then fuuussshhhh, they spring open like a viper eating a mouse. I mean I can't stress that enough the whole thing with the elite is supposed to be slowed rate of travel when it reaches the final few inches of opening...and well it absolutely does not slow down if it wasn't for bottoming out on the hinges itd keep going.
    After you first posted about this I went and looked on their site and from what I can tell the regular quicklift kit and the elite are the same except the elite are stainless steel and a bit nicer. Their site shows both have the slow open once they reach the end of travel. I haven't noticed what you are talking about but when I'm off work I'll go to my car and see if I notice it.
    Last edited by mmst3; 06-13-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Turbosmart 50/50 BOV
    AWE Tuning Track Edition
    RS Summer/Winter Wheels
    Delta Styling Wing
    Airlift 3P

is always modding

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I opened my hood and the struts do slow down towards the end and the hood kinda shakes a little but nothing I'm too worried about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbosmart 50/50 BOV
    AWE Tuning Track Edition
    RS Summer/Winter Wheels
    Delta Styling Wing
    Airlift 3P

drinking water

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I get my stud fixed on the hood I'll make a video of it opening, for the moment I had to take the one strut on the one side off because if I would have left it on n tried to close the hood it would have bent the hinges or broke the other stud from pulling down on it cause I could see it flexing after it broke I went to try and close it with both struts still on it but when I would push down I could see the hood on the side where the one stud broke pulling away from the flat part of the hinge like it was gonna twist or snap the other bolt. So I took the strut on that side off so there wasnt as much torque and force pushing back against the hood when I go to close it, it still holds the hood up with just one just doesn't lift it by itself.
    2018 Ford Focus ST2
    Metallic Blue
    Mountune Symposer Delete
    HKS SQV4 endtank mounted
    COBB v3 Accessport

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Redline Tuning Elite Struts, I've had mine on now for a few years and I've had no issues. Mine slow down while opening and I've got no tension on my hood hinges when I'm closing it.
    Maybe they are a defective set? I'd try calling them and also look into their warranty. Maybe you can send them back and get a replacement set.
    2013 Focus ST
    Cobb RMM
    Cobb CAI
    H&R Coilovers
    Boomba BOV
    Boomba Oil/Dip stick/Hood realease
    HydroGraphic Engine Bay
    Carbon Fibre Coolant Cover
    Billetworkz Shift Knob
    20" LED Lightbar
    Fully Retrofit Headlights with Halos
    Full tint 25%