Slower and hesitation after purge valve recall PCM flash!!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slower and hesitation after purge valve recall PCM flash!!

Has anyone else had the recall performed for the evap canister purge valve, where they flash the computer?

My car is now significantly slower and hesitates/bogs. When you gave it throttle before, after a slight amount of turbo lag it would accelerate cleanly and quickly, with torque-steer (and wheelspin through third, if wet). If you floored it on highway in 6th gear, it felt like an automatic kicking down when the boost came on.

Now it just keeps hesitating and bogging and EVENTUALLY accelerates.

A guy at work who used to be a Porsche master tech explained what they probably did - will have to get that explanation again. But at the end of the day, he said they leaned it out so under heavy throttle applications, it is starving for fuel.

This sucks - I feel like they’ve ruined the car. Took away all it’s personality.

Anyone else have this experience?

Premium Member
    is bored

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Situations like this is a reason why I never take my car into Ford for service of any kind. Not that it helps you at all, but I ordered the purge valve and changed it myself after other members had Ford do theirs and reported that there was a programming change as part of the recall.

Not to be critical of your driving (but I guess I am), you should never floor your turbo charged vehicle in 6th gear unless you are already traveling at a high rate of speed. Low speed pre-ignition will kill your engine.

EFI Logics Intake w/ AEM Dry Flow Filter, Panda Treadstone Intercooler, Denso ITV 22 Plugs,
    Magnaflow Muffler, MRT Axle Back, Steeda Symposer Delete, Cobb Shift Plate,
    Needless Torque Shift Cable Bushings, CFM Lower Mount, Turbo Tech Upper Mounts,
    TB Performance Traction Bar, Bilstein B8 Struts and Shocks, Eibach Pro Kit Springs,
    Mach M3 Wheels, Fifteen52 Cup Spoilers, AnarchyMotive 671 gm Shift Knob, CoolTech Jack Rails

I spend too much of my life on FST! xTheMan42's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what you mentioned, I think your issue is coming from flooring it in 6th. No one has reported issues with the PCM reflash that I'm aware of.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

is ok

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the recall done. Had the pcm updated and my Purge valve replaced.

No, I don't notice the car hesitating or being slower. The pcm update, to my knowledge, didn't change anything except now the car notifies you via check engine light if the Purge valve has malfunctioned. Nothing more. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure, but I believe that was the extent of it.

And yeah, like everyone said... 6th gear is not for full throttle. Thats bad news.
    16' Race Red ST1

Potentially helpful things I've done:

Huge cold start misfire thread (with buyback info): https://bit.ly/2JGjjy9

Exterior roof trim removal: https://bit.ly/2LSwskf

Solving interior creaks: https://bit.ly/2tePB8e

I spend too much of my life on FST! GotAFoSTnSpeed6's Avatar
    is Someone is pissing in the
    drinking water

What what in the butt, what what in the butt...oh I mean 717 yoo..York PA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As everyone said 6th is not for boost unless your well above 4k rpm to be safe. Secondly I had the update done and uninstalled my accessport prior to taking it in, all they do is what's already been said, check your fuel tank for deformation replace if needed, check the Purge valve replace if needed, and do a quick flash that makes the ecu monitor a set of already existing parameters that are effected by a failing Purge valve that way if it ever happens the CEL will be thrown from now on. They don't change anything per say, are you sure this isnt in your head? What are your mods? Tuned?
    2018 Ford Focus ST2
    Metallic Blue
    Velossa Tech Big Mouth Ram Air
    Stock Air box w/ K&N filter
    Mountune Symposer Delete
    Levels Performance FMIC w/
    HKS SQV4 endtank mounted
    Treadstone Factory BV Plugged
    BoomBa Racing Shifter Base & Cable Bracket Bushings
    Ford Racing Short Shifter
    COBB v3 Accessport

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All: I fully understand about detonation - was using for illustration purposes. In any event and after some more exploration, it seems like rhe car is pulling timing as boost builds or possibly is bypassing, like there’s an obstruction (they DID mess with the charge tube). Opened a case with Ford and it’s going back Monday. Will post if they find something.

Car is stock except for symposer delete.
    Problem not in head - it’s pretty dramatic.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you guys know the content of the flash? I am an engineer at an aerospace manufacturer and when we make revisions to drawings, documents or software for one reason, we usually fold some other things in also, since it’s a convenient time to do so. It’s not impossible that there was something else added, with unintended consequences...

BTW: Flooring in 6th when already going 70-80 mph is ok to do. I wouldn’t and don’t hold it there for an extended period of time, but for 5-10 seconds and above 2500 rpm, it’s fine.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2017ST3 View Post
    How do you guys know the content of the flash? I am an engineer at an aerospace manufacturer and when we make revisions to drawings, documents or software for one reason, we usually fold some other things in also, since it’s a convenient time to do so. It’s not impossible that there was something else added, with unintended consequences...

BTW: Flooring in 6th when already going 70-80 mph is ok to do. I wouldn’t and don’t hold it there for an extended period of time, but for 5-10 seconds and above 2500 rpm, it’s fine.

Even above 2500 rpm i wouldn't floor in 6th gear. If I want to get the 80 quick I'm in third. Your flooring it to go faster why not downshift. I've been 110 and 4th.
    Last edited by G heinrich; 05-18-2019 at 07:49 AM.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t generally, but I know how it feels and since that’s the worst case with respect to my problem, I was using it as a baseline comparison.

Does anyone have any useful input on the actual issue, as appose to accelerating in 6th gear?

is ok

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2017ST3 View Post
    Does anyone have any useful input on the actual issue, as appose to accelerating in 6th gear?
    Probably not.

Sounds like something is screwed up with your car and I'd wager it's not related to the recall pcm update. Do post back on Monday when they give you an idea what's up.
    16' Race Red ST1

Potentially helpful things I've done:

Huge cold start misfire thread (with buyback info): https://bit.ly/2JGjjy9

Exterior roof trim removal: https://bit.ly/2LSwskf

Solving interior creaks: https://bit.ly/2tePB8e

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links