Slower and hesitation after purge valve recall PCM flash!! - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I spend too much of my life on FST! xTheMan42's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd look into an OBD scanner and use an app like Forscan (or any app that will give Diagnostics). If its hesitating badly, and feels like it's in like mode, it could be a number of things (e.g. plug gaps, cracked cylinder, cracked ringland, bad o2 sensor on the downpipe).

Impossible to tell without diag. Data, and I'm doubting you'll want to invest in an accessport (approx. $500) if you're still stock at the moment and not planning on tuning.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no codes - checked that even though light not on.

Not in limp mode - drives ok-ish unless a lot of boost is called for.

It is possible there is a leak somewhere in the charge pipe, even though it looks ok. I should have mentioned that the reason the car was at the stealership to begin with was that I had a coolant leak at the oil-heater. One of the charge-pipe clamps had been put on clocked incorrectly by the factory and the screw actually wore through the body of the heater. So in replacing the oil-heater they DEFINITELY were messing with the charge-pipe.

My experience is that when a problem magically appears after something was messed with, it’s usually that thing. In this case, however, there was this and also the purge valve/flash, either of which could cause the problem...

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it looks like it was door number B:

The PCM flash. The tech performed what he called ‘reset to factory settings’. He didn’t think this would work because he said this also would include any updates since that time, however my argument was that since the repair/flash was at dealer discretion based on what they found during inspection, perhaps that part was separate. In any event, he said the difference is like night and day. I won’t know for sure until I pick it up, but it sounds good...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

is ok

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2017ST3 View Post

The PCM flash. The tech performed what he called ‘reset to factory settings’. He didn’t think this would work because he said this also would include any updates since that time, however my argument was that since the repair/flash was at dealer discretion based on what they found during inspection, perhaps that part was separate. In any event, he said the difference is like night and day. I won’t know for sure until I pick it up, but it sounds good...
    The flash was not optional/pending an inspection. The recall was to perform the flash on all Focuses and then the inspection was to see if the purge valve was faulty which could in turn damage the gas tank in which case both of those things would be replaced.

Whatever they're doing (and god only knows), I hope it's solved your issue.
    16' Race Red ST1

Potentially helpful things I've done:

Huge cold start misfire thread (with buyback info): https://bit.ly/2JGjjy9

Exterior roof trim removal: https://bit.ly/2LSwskf

Solving interior creaks: https://bit.ly/2tePB8e

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked it up and drove home. I THINK my car is feex. Too much traffic to tell if 100% as was... He told me 'like night and day', but he entered 'slight power loss' in their system. I guess that's a CYA thing, but feeling it now, I think it was seriously down about 100 HP. In any event, it might be a good idea to NOT have them flash for purge-valve...

I spend too much of my life on FST! xTheMan42's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked it up and drove home. I THINK my car is feex. Too much traffic to tell if 100% as was... He told me 'like night and day', but he entered 'slight power loss' in their system. I guess that's a CYA thing, but feeling it now, I think it was seriously down about 100 HP. In any event, it might be a good idea to NOT have them flash for purge-valve...
    Maybe your engineer who did the initial flash just didnt care enough to do it right, my thoughts. I've flashed the update with my FRPP tune, no issues.

Ford techs dont put value in warranty work, an unfortunate side effect of their current compensation system.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno. I asked that question of the guy who ‘fixed’ it and also of my ex-Porsche tech buddy and they both said it’s not possible to flash the computer incorrectly. It either completes or it doesn’t and if it doesn’t, the car won’t start or run. The stealership guy wasn’t able to say if it was the fact that it’s an ST and maybe something different because they very rarely see one. He didn’t even know what it was supposed to drive like and was surprised how quick it was, once he got it running right...

I’m very leery of any PCM updates in general and if I knew they were going to do that to begin with, I would have said to not...

Premium Member
    is bored

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This is exactly what I was referring to in my first post; they can "flash" your car to install updates any time you let them work on your car. Even if you tell them you have an aftermarket tune they will over write it and screw up your car.

EFI Logics Intake w/ AEM Dry Flow Filter, Panda Treadstone Intercooler, Denso ITV 22 Plugs,
    Magnaflow Muffler, MRT Axle Back, Steeda Symposer Delete, Cobb Shift Plate,
    Needless Torque Shift Cable Bushings, CFM Lower Mount, Turbo Tech Upper Mounts,
    TB Performance Traction Bar, Bilstein B8 Struts and Shocks, Eibach Pro Kit Springs,
    Mach M3 Wheels, Fifteen52 Cup Spoilers, AnarchyMotive 671 gm Shift Knob, CoolTech Jack Rails

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links