Is driving in 93 degree SoCal weather, air on, coolant temp at 3/4 hash mark normal ?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is driving in 93 degree SoCal weather, air on, coolant temp at 3/4 hash mark normal ?

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is driving in 93 degree SoCal weather, air on, coolant temp at 3/4 hash mark normal ?

Folks:

New to the site . . . read through a few of the threads found in a search, one seemed similar relating to "running hot only when air conditioner is on" . . . but recently my '18 ST1 was running hot-ish with both air on and then when I had shut it off . . . and the question is to whether the car running at 3/4 hash mark at 72-3 mph is "normal"?

The issue became apparent on a recent 650 +- mile drive, to and from Yosmite over the week end . . . driving the Grapevine section of Interstate 5, . . . two people, with clothing and snacks for 3 nights . . . i.e., "loaded" but, not filled up to the roof of the car, etc.

Driving north the temps weren't too bad, in the 80's, but from Castaic up into the mountains the coolant temp went into and above 3/4 hash mark on the guage as we climbed up to Templin Highway area . . . then once in the more "level" section the temps dropped down to the usual 50%.

However, on the return drive, by the time we got to Fresno area the air temp was hitting over 90, and driving down through the central valley the gauge again went to the 3/4 hash . . . air conditioner was on to "horz" to the left, i.e., not all the way to max cold . . . running down 41 to 5 south, temps outside were 93 . . . driving on cruise control at 72+- mph . . . couple of bumps up to 80-ish to get around trucks . . . coolant temps stayed at 3/4 +- hash the entire time, slowing down to 60 didn't drop it down, speeding up to 80-ish didn't increase it . . . but, hitting the Grapevine from the north side, I had cut the air conditioner a few miles before hitting the grade . . . I think I was in 5th . . . and it seemed like the car went to "limp mode"??? didn't seem to have too much "ooomph" climbing up to Tejon pass . . . ?? Thought I was going to have "issues" . . . might have been doing 50-ish on the climb up the steep grade.

I checked the Mountune site and I see that they have a CSF radiator available, but "out of stock" . . . price seems cheaper than Ford's stock radiator ??? . . . but, are there "other options" for helping the car to run "cooler" out in SoCal? Cheaper things to try before going for a "race" radiator??

Considering I live at the beach, where the temps are usually "cool" the computer might not have enough "experience" in how to deal with hot conditions . . . but I do get out of town in the dry desert weather of SoCal and in summer 90 degrees would be comparatively "cool" . . . don't know how it would be if it got hotter . . . . I was being passed by a lot of drivers who clearly weren't concerned about driving 80 - 90 mph, while I was concerned about 72 being "too fast" for the car's cooling system?? I have noticed that if I get just a little "frisky" on the gas that the oil temp seems to go up pretty quickly . . . but, the oil temp didn't seem to be as much of an issue on this run down the freeway, as the coolant/engine temp with air conditioner running . . . .

Is this higher coolant temps with the air conditioning on in 90+ degree weather, "normal" for the ST; it would only be "alarming" if it ran right up to the "red" spot on the gauge? If it should be running closer to the regular 50% hash mark, then question is why was it running higher on what is only about 6K miles on the car, and is the radiator the over-all best "bang for buck" "fix" for the ST, or, is there something else, or even, for example, is it better to upgrade the oil cooler than the radiator?? , or is there something else that would be the choice for dealing with the SoCal driving in the heat situation . . . ??

Thanks,

tBF

I spend too much of my life on FST! Zeek's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not, i live in miami with 90 plus summers and gridlock traffic and it never climbed over half. You need to start hunting down this problem

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I spend too much of my life on FST! G heinrich's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theBluFlash View Post
    Folks:

New to the site . . . read through a few of the threads found in a search, one seemed similar relating to "running hot only when air conditioner is on" . . . but recently my '18 ST1 was running hot-ish with both air on and then when I had shut it off . . . and the question is to whether the car running at 3/4 hash mark at 72-3 mph is "normal"?

The issue became apparent on a recent 650 +- mile drive, to and from Yosmite over the week end . . . driving the Grapevine section of Interstate 5, . . . two people, with clothing and snacks for 3 nights . . . i.e., "loaded" but, not filled up to the roof of the car, etc.

Driving north the temps weren't too bad, in the 80's, but from Castaic up into the mountains the coolant temp went into and above 3/4 hash mark on the guage as we climbed up to Templin Highway area . . . then once in the more "level" section the temps dropped down to the usual 50%.

However, on the return drive, by the time we got to Fresno area the air temp was hitting over 90, and driving down through the central valley the gauge again went to the 3/4 hash . . . air conditioner was on to "horz" to the left, i.e., not all the way to max cold . . . running down 41 to 5 south, temps outside were 93 . . . driving on cruise control at 72+- mph . . . couple of bumps up to 80-ish to get around trucks . . . coolant temps stayed at 3/4 +- hash the entire time, slowing down to 60 didn't drop it down, speeding up to 80-ish didn't increase it . . . but, hitting the Grapevine from the north side, I had cut the air conditioner a few miles before hitting the grade . . . I think I was in 5th . . . and it seemed like the car went to "limp mode"??? didn't seem to have too much "ooomph" climbing up to Tejon pass . . . ?? Thought I was going to have "issues" . . . might have been doing 50-ish on the climb up the steep grade.

I checked the Mountune site and I see that they have a CSF radiator available, but "out of stock" . . . price seems cheaper than Ford's stock radiator ??? . . . but, are there "other options" for helping the car to run "cooler" out in SoCal? Cheaper things to try before going for a "race" radiator??

Considering I live at the beach, where the temps are usually "cool" the computer might not have enough "experience" in how to deal with hot conditions . . . but I do get out of town in the dry desert weather of SoCal and in summer 90 degrees would be comparatively "cool" . . . don't know how it would be if it got hotter . . . . I was being passed by a lot of drivers who clearly weren't concerned about driving 80 - 90 mph, while I was concerned about 72 being "too fast" for the car's cooling system?? I have noticed that if I get just a little "frisky" on the gas that the oil temp seems to go up pretty quickly . . . but, the oil temp didn't seem to be as much of an issue on this run down the freeway, as the coolant/engine temp with air conditioner running . . . .

Is this higher coolant temps with the air conditioning on in 90+ degree weather, "normal" for the ST; it would only be "alarming" if it ran right up to the "red" spot on the gauge? If it should be running closer to the regular 50% hash mark, then question is why was it running higher on what is only about 6K miles on the car, and is the radiator the over-all best "bang for buck" "fix" for the ST, or, is there something else, or even, for example, is it better to upgrade the oil cooler than the radiator?? , or is there something else that would be the choice for dealing with the SoCal driving in the heat situation . . . ??

Thanks,

tBF

Are your active grille shutters opening if not there will be almost no air going through the radiator. I ripped mine out left the motor plugged in a zip tied up behind the headlight. So the car thinks everything is good but they can never fail.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek View Post
    It is not, i live in miami with 90 plus summers and gridlock traffic and it never climbed over half. You need to start hunting down this problem

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Zeek:

Appreciate the reply, I did tend to think it would not be normal . . . but, it does seem like it has shown up here on the forum with other drivers . . . . The only difference I can see that in Miami that would be a "wet heat" . . . whereas here in CA we have "dry heat" . . . desert running . . . might be something that the cpu oesn't have figured out??

I spend too much of my life on FST! bp86's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possible AGS(Active Grill Shutter) issue, stuck shut, preventing air flow.. just my 2¢

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
    2015 Oxford White ST1
    1320 catless DP/defouled, 3D printed gas pedal riser, AEM dryflow, Boomba Adj BPV/BOV(anodized blue) connected to SSD, Boomba RMM(anodized blue), Cobb shift cable bushings, Damond PSMM+TMM, Depo Beast FMIC+charge pipes, JBR SS arm(40%)+all bushings, Raceseng Ashiko 675g shift knob(translucent red), Res Delete, SRS-R1 3" CBE, Steeda clutch spring+magnetic plug+RSB+SSD w/ boost port, TB Performance Anti-Bind end links

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp86 View Post
    Possible AGS(Active Grill Shutter) issue, stuck shut, preventing air flow.. just my 2¢

Hey that's what I said LOL. I just rip them out too many of failed. Or a small twig get stuck in there next thing you know you're overheating.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your shudders like others have said. I live in SoCal and have never had it go over the normal halfway mark.
    bp86 likes this.

I spend too much of my life on FST! bp86's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G heinrich View Post
    Are your active grille shutters opening if not there will be almost no air going through the radiator. I ripped mine out left the motor plugged in a zip tied up behind the headlight. So the car thinks everything is good but they can never fail.
    My bad.. ya beat me to it while I was replying haha

2015 Oxford White ST1
    1320 catless DP/defouled, 3D printed gas pedal riser, AEM dryflow, Boomba Adj BPV/BOV(anodized blue) connected to SSD, Boomba RMM(anodized blue), Cobb shift cable bushings, Damond PSMM+TMM, Depo Beast FMIC+charge pipes, JBR SS arm(40%)+all bushings, Raceseng Ashiko 675g shift knob(translucent red), Res Delete, SRS-R1 3" CBE, Steeda clutch spring+magnetic plug+RSB+SSD w/ boost port, TB Performance Anti-Bind end links

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @G heinrich :

I saw other posts in that thread talking about the grille shutters . . . but, question is whether that would be an avenue of investigation in a more or less new car with relatively low miles?? Is that a "known issue" with the ST that the grille shutters don't work as designed??

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp86 View Post
    My bad.. ya beat me to it while I was replying haha

Well the consensus is in check the AGS
    bp86 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links