Trailering a Focus ST
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By jkash99
  • 2 Post By elyk864
  • 2 Post By 4cyl$$pit
  • 1 Post By jonrjen
  • 1 Post By Captain

Thread: Trailering a Focus ST

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailering a Focus ST

I am not talking about pulling a trailer with the ST, but rather hauling the ST on a trailer.

I feel sure that a few of you have had the occasion for one reason or another to haul your ST on a trailer. I have a couple of question as I may have the need to do this in the very near future.

1. Did you have any clearance problems or issues in loading the ST on the trailer? Were you using a trailer with a flat bed or dovetailed bed? Do you recall how long the ramps were that you used in loading the ST...I would guess 4' to 5' with the longer ramps allowing more clearance of the frame of the ST and trailer angle.

2. How did you tie the ST down to the trailer? I could find a point on each side of the rear to strap it down. However due to the exhaust in the center of the rear of the ST, crossing the straps don't look like it would be feasible to do so.

But dang, I couldn't find anything up front to use as a tie down point. I guess you could use tire nets but there is little to no room to ratchet the straps down between the tires and the fender wells. I guess an option would be to have a anchor at both sides of each front wheel and run 2 straps across the rim from side to side at 2 different points to keep the pressure on the wheels center neutral.

So come on and lay it on me, just how do I do this and do it right? Photos are more than welcome.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as clearance goes, that is going to be dependent on whether you are stock ride height or not.
    jonrjen likes this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkash99 View Post
    As far as clearance goes, that is going to be dependent on whether you are stock ride height or not.
    I am at stock height and have no plans for that to change......at this time anyway.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

Premium Member
    is here

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you took the front skid plate/air dam thing off you'd have enough room to get to some tie down points. But personally I'd just use the wheels. E-brake on and in neutral.
    Last edited by elyk864; 05-07-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    jesse_sanders and jonrjen like this.
    Stratified Custom Tune (91 and E30) CPE Lightweight FMIC VelossaTech Intake Snorkel
    FSwerks Shift Bracket+Busings (40%) Wilwood FNSL6 14" NGK LTR7IX-11
    Green Filter Steeda RMM, TTR Upper Passenger Gloss black wrapped roof
    TSW Rivage 18X8 5-108 +40mm Husky Liner Floor mats (All) Global windows mod
    Fogs on with High Beam mod (Diode Dynamics XML2 Fogs) Limo tint rear, Front legal Proclip Pillar mount
    Led Interior lights Breedt APM

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m new to the forum, just recently picked up my ST and started fixing it (salvage title). I towed it home with a deckover gooseneck trailer. It has a 4’dovetail and about 5’ ramps. I don’t remember the front scraping at all but then again I wasn’t overly concerned since I needed to replace those parts anyway. I attached pictures so you can get an idea of the size of the trailer. To strap it down I used the front wheels and pulled towards the back of the trailer and went around the rear control arms and pulled towards the front. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    gemery and jonrjen like this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went out the garage this morning and started digging around. Low and behold I found a 4 pack of wheel straps that I purchased maybe 6 years go.
    beretta96 likes this.

is still reading the owner's
    manual

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    may want to take a look at this thread from a lil while ago

this case was using a dolly and not a trailer but IMO there are some lessons to be learned

https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...d-14-fost.html
    jonrjen likes this.
    Captain Brian

14 ST3 T'Scream

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    may want to take a look at this thread from a lil while ago

this case was using a dolly and not a trailer but IMO there are some lessons to be learned

https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...d-14-fost.html
    Looks like it was the tire harness ratchet anchor that was the issue. Well that and the short length of ramp rising up to the rest platform.

I do appreciate the heads up and link to read, you are correct, it was educational. I was weighing in the possibility of using a tow dolly rather than a trailer to towing my ST back side of a motorhome.

Sponsored Links