Hood strut kit - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Hood strut kit

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This *was* my first mod (purchased last year about this time, installed when the car had 1500 miles on it). I bought the kit that is sold by Steeda, installed it last summer, and it has worked flawlessly ever since. Before purchase, I did a lot of research (since there are so many of these kits to choose from). The reason I selected the Steeda kit was because with some of the kits (the Redline one comes to mind) the bracket that attaches to the fender is not quite long enough, and the bracket can rotate over time. The Steeda kit has those lower brackets made to fit against the fender in a way that once installed, the bolt holds the bracket in place, and the fender blocks it from rotating.

I am not intending to knock other kits, and for all I know- those kits have been revised to keep the bracket locked in place like the Steeda kit, or may be better in other ways. Just offering my opinion and experience.

I spend too much of my life on FST! Evitzee's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the hood is not well aligned when the new hood struts are put on they can sometimes pop off when opening or closing the hood. My Redline Tuning struts have been perfect since I put them on over 3 years ago. I would suggest using some towels to wedge between the back edge of the hood and the windshield to prevent any undo movement when you remove the nuts to install the brackets. And use a Sharpie to outline the bracket's footprint on the hood so if you do get some movement you can realign it before retightening the nuts.
    Last edited by Evitzee; 04-16-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Premium Member
    is taking a leave of his senses

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all good to know. My hood is slightly off center and I don't know how to fix it and I don't know for sure if it's the hood or just the fender. It's seriously not enough that most would even notice but I do and it bothers me, lol. I could definitely see how it could put more load on one shock vs. another if it is off, so I'll just keep an eye on it. For now, I love the Redline kit.
    2013 Focus ST ST3 Race Red 35,500mi

Performance: COBB AP, Stratified Tuned for E30 & 93oct., MBRP catless DP, AWE Track Exhaust, NGK cold plugs, COBB Short Shift Plate 40% Reduction, Green Filter with lid off, Turbosmart 50/50 BOV, Boomba symposer delete, Steeda bracket bushings, Boomba trans. end bushings, CP-E Stage 2 RMM, Steeda clutch spring, HAWK drilled/slotted rotors with HAWK pads, General GMax AS-05 tires

Appearance: WeatherTech's, Boomba shift knob, Boomba engine dress up: Hood release, Oil cap, Dipstick, Reservoir caps in red, Stubby 2" antenna, MGP Red ST caliper covers, RallyArmor mud flaps, Redline Tuning Hood Struts

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

is running GS: For the Groceries!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Redline Tuning. I've had mine a year now. Very happy with them.
    2013 Oxford White ST3 - "Stormie"
    NEOHIO SCCA - GS 23

is always modding

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put the Redline Tuning QuickLift on recently and they work great. Love the ease of use of just lifting the hood and it opening right up!
    Last edited by mmst3; Today at 08:04 AM.
    '17 MAGNETIC METALLIC ST3
    Turbosmart 50/50 BOV
    AWE Tuning Track Edition
    CJPP High Flow Catted Downpipe
    Maxton Design RS Rear Valance
    Maxton Design Front Splitter/Lip
    RS Summer/Winter Wheels
    Delta Styling Wing
    Airlift 3P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links