Weird clunking noise when taking off/moving forward at low rpms
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Weird clunking noise when taking off/moving forward at low rpms

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird clunking noise when taking off/moving forward at low rpms

While accelerating and taking at lower rpms my car makes this strange clunking/creaking noise, definitely from the front part of the car. It doesn't do it while standing still and revving, but it does do it at pretty much any speed at lower rpms. The only mod I can think of on the car that could cause something like this is the CPE Stage 2 RMM that has been on the car for probably 1000+ miles. I'll try to get a video on my phone today. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

EDIT:
    Heres the video. It's kind of hard to hear but the best examples are right at the beginning and at 1:40. At 0:00 I was pulling away from a stop and at 1:40 I was just feathering the clutch pulling it into my driveway.
    Last edited by erickson660; 10-16-2018 at 05:43 PM.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure to check for any loose bolts on the sub frame or inspect control arm bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
    is bored

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Could be an upper strut bearing/bearings.

EFI Logics Intake w/ AEM Dry Flow Filter, Panda Treadstone Intercooler, Denso ITV 22 Plugs,
    Magnaflow Muffler, MRT Axle Back, Steeda Symposer Delete, Cobb Shift Plate,
    Needless Torque Shift Cable Bushings, CFM Lower Mount, Turbo Tech Upper Mounts,
    TB Performance Traction Bar, Bilstein B8 Struts and Shocks, Eibach Pro Kit Springs,
    Mach M3 Wheels, Fifteen52 Cup Spoilers, AnarchyMotive 671 gm Shift Knob, CoolTech Jack Rails

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddfred View Post
    Could be an upper strut bearing/bearings.
    How can I make sure it's the bearings? Would that be an easy fix or am I ordering parts/taking it in?

I spend too much of my life on FST! aloha_from_bradley's Avatar
    is Beer in hand, Chillin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you install the RMM? Did the car ever make the noise/feeling before the RMM install? You stated it's only been on the car for 1k. If that's the case, and assuming you installed it, that would be the first thing I'd check. If the mount came loose your engine is rocking back and forth quite a bit and is likely separating from and then banging into the sub frame when you let go of the clutch. You can easily diagnose this yourself if you have any mechanical knowledge, a jack, and some jack stands or ramps. You can also have someone look in the engine bay while you slowly release the clutch to see if you have excessive engine movement. Just make sure you do this in an area that is safe since you will have the hood up.

Premium Member
    is bored

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by erickson660 View Post
    How can I make sure it's the bearings? Would that be an easy fix or am I ordering parts/taking it in?

If it is the bearing it would probably also make noise standing still as you cycle the steering back and forth. Easy fix? That's dependent on how comfortable you are removing the front struts to replace the bearing. If you have decent mechanical skills, several hours and the inclination it is doable with jack stands and basic tools. There are multiple You Tube videos. What model year is your ST; there were issues with the bearings on early builds.

EFI Logics Intake w/ AEM Dry Flow Filter, Panda Treadstone Intercooler, Denso ITV 22 Plugs,
    Magnaflow Muffler, MRT Axle Back, Steeda Symposer Delete, Cobb Shift Plate,
    Needless Torque Shift Cable Bushings, CFM Lower Mount, Turbo Tech Upper Mounts,
    TB Performance Traction Bar, Bilstein B8 Struts and Shocks, Eibach Pro Kit Springs,
    Mach M3 Wheels, Fifteen52 Cup Spoilers, AnarchyMotive 671 gm Shift Knob, CoolTech Jack Rails

I spend too much of my life on FST! AkiraSieghart's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm experiencing the same exact problems on my 2013 ST. If I take off, I get the clunking noise and I'll sometimes get it while going over bumps and going around bends. I haven't had a chance to look into it but I also have the CP-E Stage 2 RMM and it's been on the car for 60,000+ miles with no problems. My car now has 92,000 miles so I'm thinking it might be the bearings for the control arms or strut bar. The other suggestion I've heard are the swaybar endlinks since those are pretty prone to random failure.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloha_from_bradley View Post
    Did you install the RMM? Did the car ever make the noise/feeling before the RMM install? You stated it's only been on the car for 1k. If that's the case, and assuming you installed it, that would be the first thing I'd check. If the mount came loose your engine is rocking back and forth quite a bit and is likely separating from and then banging into the sub frame when you let go of the clutch. You can easily diagnose this yourself if you have any mechanical knowledge, a jack, and some jack stands or ramps. You can also have someone look in the engine bay while you slowly release the clutch to see if you have excessive engine movement. Just make sure you do this in an area that is safe since you will have the hood up.
    I installed the RMM myself. Did not make the noise before installation however it didnít make it right after either.

Quote Originally Posted by ddfred View Post
    If it is the bearing it would probably also make noise standing still as you cycle the steering back and forth. Easy fix? That's dependent on how comfortable you are removing the front struts to replace the bearing. If you have decent mechanical skills, several hours and the inclination it is doable with jack stands and basic tools. There are multiple You Tube videos. What model year is your ST; there were issues with the bearings on early builds.
    Early 2013 build date. I donít think it does it while standing still but Iíll check again in a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by AkiraSieghart View Post
    I'm experiencing the same exact problems on my 2013 ST. If I take off, I get the clunking noise and I'll sometimes get it while going over bumps and going around bends. I haven't had a chance to look into it but I also have the CP-E Stage 2 RMM and it's been on the car for 60,000+ miles with no problems. My car now has 92,000 miles so I'm thinking it might be the bearings for the control arms or strut bar. The other suggestion I've heard are the swaybar endlinks since those are pretty prone to random failure.
    Iíll add sway bars to my list of things to check and let you know if I figure out what it is!

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured I'd chime in with my recent developments:

I dropped my car off at my local Firestone yesterday for them to take a look since I just haven't had the time to look myself. They told me that my front left lower control arm has a lot of play in it and needs to be replaced ASAP and they told me that the CV axle also needs to be replaced ASAP since it's leaking fluid.

Their diagnosis only costs $10 so I'm going to pick it up and just take a quick look myself just to verify what they found.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just another update:

Firestone, again, said I needed a new front right control arm ball joint, a new left CV axle, and they also said that my rear break pads were pretty worn and should be replaced. They quoted me $2,200 between parts and labor. I'm pretty sure that because I said I needed my car back prior to Monday for work, they could prey off of my "desperation". Yeah, no.

I ordered the parts from Rockauto: $177.xx for everything with 2-Day shipping. I'm currently working on borrowing a friend's lift so I can avoid doing the work on my back in a driveway.
    elyk864 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links