Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Psilynts 2014 ST3 GTX2867 build

62K views 244 replies 36 participants last post by  psilynt 
#1 · (Edited)
Psilynts 2014 ST3 GTX2867 build (now with more methanol!)

Figured it was time to start a build thread since I just submitted an order with Stratified for an ATP turbo kit! I will be keeping the the first post up to date with the current state as well as posting updates in this thread as parts come in and as I make progress!

Note : This thread is best viewed with Imagus for Chrome or Imagus for Firefox

Car info
2014 Tuxedo black ST3
Build date - Oct 20, 2014
Build number - ...

Current mod list

Engine
- ATP GTX2867R .64AR
- Cobb AccessPort v3 (Tuxedo Black faceplate)
- Stratified custom tune by Alex (93/WMI/e20 maps)
- Mountune Hi-flow catted downpipe (current)
- Milltek catless downpipe (removed)
- Milltek non-resonated Cat-Back Exhaust
- Synapse Synchronic blow off valve (Tial flange)
- CP-E 'Exhale' cold side pipe
- CP-E 'HotCharge' hot side pipe
- Steeda 3.5" intercooler
- VelossaTech 'Big Mouth' snorkel
- CFM intake tube
- Mountune 'High-Flow' intake hose
- Denso ITV22s
- Vibrant J Defouler
- DevilsOwn 3 bar stage 2 WMI kit (D07 nozzle)
- Mountune rear motor mount

Transmission
- Motul DCTF
- Breedt 'Quick-Shift' arm (P3)
- Anarchy Motive 'Atlas' shift knob
- NeedlessTorque shift cable bushing
- FSWerks shift bracket bushings

Appearance
- Niche Targa M130 18x8
- LLumar 30% ceramic tint
- ZL1 rock guards
- CPC hood struts
- Octane Academy badges
- VisualGarage sharkfin antenna cover

Interior
- FindWay Floor Mats
- Spigen magnetic mount (for AP3)
- A6 Nav update

Lighting
- German eFocus tail lamps
- 35w HID upgrade
- Osram 35w CBB D3S bulbs
- VLEDs 194 LED puddle lights
- Morimoto XB 194 LED hatch lights
- Diode Dynamics SMF1 vanity mirror lights
- Headlight Armor "GT Yellow" fog light film
- LED eyebrow always-on mod

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Picture spam

When she was brand new

Freshly tinted

Calipers painted

Snorkel and intercooler installed

Engine bay

New shoes!

Synapse valve and my oversized Purolator PL20195 filter

The new snail being installed

Sharkfin

GTX2867 E20 Dyno

#3 ·
Sub'd. Looking forward to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: psilynt
#5 ·
Wheels will be getting replaced with TSW Nurburgrings & MPSS rubber very soon. :)

I will be doing the turbo myself, never done a turbo swap before but with the EdgeAutoSports guide and the SpoolTuning video I feel pretty comfortable tackling it. I think the worst part will be having to do it on jackstands, I really wish there was somewhere local I couldnt rent a lift for a day but I'll make do.

#7 ·
Before I bought it, I was thinking it would just remove the "pitch play", ie. the back-and-forth slop but it's more than that. It not only eliminates pretty much all the play on the pitch axis but also firms up just about every other aspect of the shifter mechanism. You get a lot more engagement feedback and a lot more "connected" feel to the shift arm. This bushing made a more dramatic change in feel than my FSWerks shift bracket bushings and it was easier to install too. Definitely happy with it and would recommend it if you want a more raw feel. I noticed that it does seem to soften up a touch after using it for a while, at first it was almost jarringly raw but it has since softened up enough now that it feels perfect IMO.

#8 ·
Got my Synapse valve today! I took it out and hooked it up to the OEM solenoid just to confirm it works. Holy cow is this thing fast! It looks like it opens way quicker than I see the Tial and HKS valves from the videos I've seen online. I'm super anxious to get my charge pipes in so I can hook this guy up for real and see how it performs.

#9 ·
those are badass units for sure!!

#10 ·
Just ordered some wheels and rubber to go with the new turbo

- Niche Targa M130 18x8
- Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/40ZR18
- Ford OEM TPMS
- Gorilla Lug nut kit

#11 ·
This is the mail day that makes all other mail days pale in comparison. GTX2867 .64AR with JBR charge pipes. Thanks again to @Alex@Stratified for helping me pick this kit and putting up with my absurd amount of questions!

Completely unexpected but it looks like ATP has moved to including a cast downpipe adapter flange in their kit!! This is the best kind of surprise I could have hoped for with this kit!

All the included bits and pieces. Not sure what this stubby pipe and short silicon hose are for though.

Charge pipes came packaged way better than this, I just ripped into it as soon as I walked in the door :p

Test fitting my Synapse Synchronic BOV with the Tial flange. Hose barbs will be swapped out for their push-lock fittings.

#18 ·
Couldn't help myself, wanted to experiment with getting my feed/drain lines wrapped. I picked up some 3/4" ID x 10' Hot Rod Sleeving from Amazon and it fits like a dream on the coolant feed and drain lines. It is pretty oversized for the oil feed line so I'm going to see if I can find a way to clamp it down or some way keep it in place. I only ended up using about 4.5ft out of 10 so there is still plenty left over.

#19 · (Edited)
So I got the Synapse Synchronic BOV and JBR cold side installed this evening and can confirm it fits and functions perfectly on the ST. This thing vents lightning fast. I have it hooked up to the OEM solenoid and it will vent as quickly as you can blip the throttle with absolutely zero flutter or surge at any boost level. It responds so quickly you could almost believe there is some kind of mechanical linkage to the throttle to trigger actuation. I have mine hooked up to both A & B ports and I also removed the preload spring. I will admit, the fitment is very tight in some regards. The Synchronic valve is one big beast and you will have to fiddle with and adjust it A LOT to get proper clearances all around. I initially wanted to have the poppet valve facing down but the back of the valve is just too tall to clear the engine. I spent probably the better part of an hour tweaking and rotating and adjusting until I was happy. As far as sound, this thing is loud! Not like the HKS "chirp" loud, but more like an "industrial" pump venting type sound. I will try to get some video of it soon.

The JBR cold side pipe install was very straight-forward and fit with a decent enough amount of room to spare around the radiator support and AC compressor. I was concerned there might be clearance issues with the AC compressor based on what a lot of other people have mentioned but it doesn't seem like the JBR sits that close to anything around it. Maybe I was able to adjust mine just right or maybe it's just the pictures I've seen but I think the JBR cold side pipe fits better than the a lot of other alternatives appear to. The silicon hoses, t-bolt clamps, and pipes all fit like they could have come from Ford that way.

However, I am having one problem and I think I know what the source is. I am down on power and not making the full 23-ish PSI of boost that I normally see. I'm almost certain it's the cheesy little spring JBR includes for use with the factory BPV instead of using a proper milled/solid block off plate. The reason I feel so confident this is the issue is because of some testing I did with my Mountune BPV. I went through and hooked everything up for the Synapse valve but left the Mountune BPV in the turbo (capped off) and was only able to make ~18 psi of boost. At which point, I went through the headache of re-installing the OEM BPV with the JBR spring (again, capped off) which was better but still only allowed me to get to 21 PSI. Based on those results, I am highly suspect that the spring JBR includes is only capable of holding about 21 psi. At this point I'm not sure what I want to do, I hate to spend $30-40 on a milled block off plate with the GTX install just around the corner, but on the other hand I would really like confirmation that the Synapse valve is holding boost and functioning 100% properly before I start adding more variables into the mix.

I will try to get some better pictures later but since it was dark out and getting close to raining these are the two potato pics I managed to grab.

I had to use the 90 degree push lock fittings since the valve was "upside down" from how I originally envisioned it due to clearance issues. The whole valve sits at an angle to get enough clearance with the AC compressor, the back of the valve is rotated towards the AC compressor and the "face" of the valve is pointed towards the base of the oil filter.

I just sloppily ran the vacuum line up across the intake manifold for now since I was rushing to avoid rain. I plan to clean this up and hide the line a lot better at some point in the future.

#51 ·
So I got the Synapse Synchronic BOV
Is this a universal BOV? I did a quick search and it doesnt have a vehicle specific option?
Im looking at buying a turbosmart bov, I dont have plans on upgrading the IC anytime soon, so I wouldnt buy the piping that supports a BOV. But the Turbosmart has adjust-ability depending on the boost pressure, so I am wondering if it has the ability to be adjusted to vent fast like the one you got?
I would like to reduce any and all flutter if possible

#20 ·
Sweet install! Looking forward to hearing it in action.

#21 ·
any luck with being down on boost? I was considering a tial but after researching this BOV Its hot on my radar at the moment. Wanting to confirm yours is 100% and would love to hear a sound clip when its operational.

#22 ·
On my list to tear into tonight. :) I spent last evening digging up a heavier spring to try to see if that helps keep the factory BPV shut at higher pressures. I think I found a spring that will work perfectly so I'll be sure to share some pictures and results. Once I get the low boost situation figured I will definitely get some video clips uploaded as boost PSI can change the volume/sound quite a bit. I've been driving the car around and really like the sound of this valve so far, it has a very "industrial" dump-valve type sound without being super loud. It will definitely turn some heads though, I've driven past some bus stops and gas stations and caught more than a few glances so far.

#25 ·
I have the CP-E exhale kit with Tial Q BOV on order from EdgeAutosport. I was curious about getting the BOV and Symposer Delete installed before I do the GTX2867 turbo swap so that is one less thing to fiddle with when that time comes. I was thinking I would run the BOV off the Symposer Delete and leave the factory BPV connected to the control solenoid. Is this something which is viable to run on for a couple of weeks?

The CP-E kit comes with a BPV block off plate which I have no intention of using. Drop me a PM with your mailing address and I will send it up to you once it comes in. EA tells me the order should ship tonight, so with any luck I will have it early next week.

#26 ·
I think if you leave your factory BPV hooked up with your CPE/Tial setup installed up you will end up in the same boat that I'm in where the BPV spring pressure isn't enough to hold the valve shut through high PSI. In which case you will almost certainly want that block off plate ;)

If you get your kit in, determine you don't need it, and I'm still looking for one I might hit you up for it. I really appreciate the offer to send me your block-off plate either way though!

#28 ·
The BOV will be kept shut by boost pressure applied to the top. When only time you have to worry about it on a Tial setup for example is if you have a very soft spring which can crack the valve open during transitions into boost. I have used both the CPE and a yellow (much stiffer) spring up to 28+psi and haven't seen a difference in boost response or overall pressure.

#30 ·
Further confirmation that the JBR spring is the culprit for my low boost issue. I took the BPV out again and tested shoving both the JBR spring and OEM spring in there and I can successfully make 23+ PSI of boost again running just the Synapse BOV.

#32 ·
What problems have you ran into with the increase in power to your car?

What about handling and performance? I'm having a bit of buyer's regret over here because I know most FWD cars that put down a lot of power have some issues with handling, but I'm not sure how bad it gets.

I'm a power user by nature, and it applies to everything in my life. I really want to do things to my car, but I'm having second thoughts because I lack knowledge here. =/

#33 ·
So far I haven't encountered anything I would really consider a problem. The car pulls like a monster running e30 but the Stratified tune makes throttle modulation very easy. Power delivery is very predictable and consistent so if you want to spin, you can easily accomplish that, but if you want to have the tires hook up and take off like a rocket it's just as easy to do that too. With the e30 map, there is definitely an increase in torque steer but if you switch the traction control to sport mode it becomes A LOT more manageable. The 91/93 maps are a lot more gentle and approachable as far as torque steering and handling are concerned, but I'm sure that's a direct result of them making less power.

I had an Unleashed tune before I got my AP3/Stratified setup and I felt like throttle modulation was a lot more difficult with that tune. Power delivery seemed almost binary, you were either balls-to-the-wall with the tires spinning or just putzing around. With the Unleashed tune, it seemed like full boost came at like 50% pedal travel whereas the Stratified tune will make you bury the pedal into the floor mat to get full boost. Its really a personal preference thing but I find that the way Stratified handles their throttle mapping makes the car a lot easier to control, especially driving around town where you don't always want to be hooning on it.

I find ambient temp makes a huge difference as far as how the car behaves. If it's nice and hot outside, the summer tires are much stickier and will hook up a lot better. When it's colder out, the Goodyears just have no bite what-so-ever and you end up with more tirespin and torque steer as a result.

#34 ·
MPSS tires, TPMS kit, and lug nuts came Saturday. Niche Targa M130's and the ATP shirt arrived today. Very anxious to get these wheels installed ... might just have to see if there's some way to shorten what life is left on my Goodyear F1's ;)

#35 ·
Got some metal zip ties to hold my heat-sleeving in place.

#36 ·
Out with the old and in with the new! Still have some work to do like finishing up the vacuum lines for the EBCS, reinstall the downpipe, etc but the majority of the PITA work is completed. Should be done tomorrow afternoon if all goes well.

#37 ·
Got everything finished up this evening and took the car out for a drive. So far everything appears to be working as expected and no leaks detected yet. More pictures incoming shortly [emoji41]

#39 ·
Stratifieds 2867 base map currently

#40 · (Edited)
Was able to grab some datalogs this evening to send off to Stratified. The pull and power this car has even with just the base map is incredible! I'm really glad I went with the .64AR, the spool characteristics on the 2867 don't feel that much different than stock. The best part though is that it never drops off, it just keeps pulling all the way to the redline.

#41 ·
thats a clean ass base map!!!! cant wait to see it once they start turning up the juice

#42 ·
That's great results to see! The GTX2867R is going on the car today and I submitted the custom tuning form last night; hope to have the base map sent to me today.

What are your current goals?

#44 ·
I'm hoping for 350whp/350ft-lbs on e20 and nothing specific for 93, just whatever we can safely get out of it.

The install can definitely be a pain at points but as long as you do your homework on how everything should be laid out and take your time it should go well. The two biggest struggles I encountered were how much coolant pissed out of the K03 even though I had drained the petcock at the radiator (almost a full gallon!) and how much the downpipe is a PITA. Some people don't really seem to struggle with the DP but that was, IMO, one of the worst parts of the whole thing. Though it seems like it would be much easier with a catback where the middle section can be removed from the car, with the stock catback in place you have to twist and pry that thing out like a chihuahua giving birth to a pitbull.

if I decide to go BT next year I will seriously have a heart to heart with Alex... I want similar to stock spool and ideally I would like to make around 330 hp at the wheels.. not interested in big power for the driveability reasons. I think @psilynt is on par for making around that on pump gas with the way his numbers are looking.
So far I'm very impressed with how quickly the .64AR 2867 spools. From the datalog I captured last night this guy is building boost very quickly and it maintains all the way to redline. I was extremely torn between the 2863 vs 2867 because of lag concerns, I wanted to stay as close as possible the spool characteristics of the K03 and so far Im very happy with 2867 considering this is just the base map. Everytime I get an email I about jump out of my seat hoping it's the next map revision from Alex :)

#43 ·
if I decide to go BT next year I will seriously have a heart to heart with Alex... I want similar to stock spool and ideally I would like to make around 330 hp at the wheels.. not interested in big power for the driveability reasons. I think @psilynt is on par for making around that on pump gas with the way his numbers are looking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.