Ford Focus ST Forum banner

A tale of "Envy"

59K views 211 replies 37 participants last post by  Fuxalt 
#1 · (Edited)
Jul 2013-

I sat there puzzled on my 2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50. 805cc's of open road freedom humming away like a flying car from the Jetsons. He wasn't much. But I loved him. Named "The Rev" after Jimmy Sullivan. I wanted to keep him forever but I knew I couldn't. You see I was to be re-stationed to Indiana for the Navy, but first I needed to go cross country all the way to Whidbey Island Washington first for school, and sadly, The Rev would not do well on such a journey. Especially seeing that I would be there for winter. So I went on a car search and was pleased to find out that Ford was finally bringing over the Focus ST! I had drooled over the former ST and RS as a teen. After much research and comparisons between the ST and other cars I finally decided that it was the car I wanted. Went to the dealership with my check, and purchased my beautiful TB ST2 for $22,800 OTD on August 10th 2014 (my 23rd B-day). Now this was not your average car purchase. You see I never test drove it. I actually had never driven a stick shift in my life. But seeing as I had ridden motorcycles I figured I could get it down. Now if anyone has ever been to Jacksonville, FL you know the traffic is HORRIBLE, and it was, but I managed to get home with only stalling once. This was the start of a beautiful friendship.

The moment I got her home. She sat there gleaming in my driveway. Smiling at me with that catfish maw that only a parent could love. It wasn't long before she started gaining all of the attention and became the ENVY of the neighborhood. Her personality was starting to develop, but no one knew what she would one day become.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Alloy wheel

Now we had seen a couple ST's around Jax. One was another TB on base. So we decided to help separate her from all the other sheep in the herd. She was quite pleased.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Automotive exterior

After one short month of learning each others driving habits and quirks it was time to set sail for Whidbey Island! I packed her hatch full of as much gear as I could and set off! We drove through FL, AL, MS, LA, TX, NM, AZ, UT, ID, OR, and WA in 3 days! There were a couple hard times like learning to start and stop on hills. She would protest, and sometimes I would have some clutch smell come through but we learned together. She treated me well. Once settle in to Washington (OCT 2013) I put some all season tires on. Cooper Zeon RS-3A's due to the temps dropping below 40*. The cold snap didn't last long and pretty soon we were out tearing up the roads again. Her presence caught the eye of a MS3 and they soon became friends. Tearing up all the mountain roads that they could together.
Sky Atmospheric phenomenon Morning Cloud Atmosphere

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tree Sports car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Vehicle door

Once again she smiled proud with that catfish maw. Keeping her composure through the mountain apexes as others looked on...in Envy. This time...her personality was born..."Envy" was born. I took her home and decided that what better way to capture the Envy of all the MS3s and WRX's on the Island, but to make them go GREEEEN with Envy.

Her rims were painted.
Tire Rim Alloy wheel Wheel Automotive tire

Her eyes made more aggressive.
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Automotive tire Tire

Black Light Lighting Automotive lighting Darkness

And her tails tinted.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback Automotive design

She would never go unnoticed again.
Vehicle Car Automotive design Hatchback Race car

See less See more
Reactions: ryenigma and Rule1
#2 · (Edited)
She was growing up. 12000 or so miles by the time we had to leave the paradise of Washington, and head south towards Florida again (MAR 2014). This time we stayed on the outside of the snow belt only hitting a few patches of snow. WA, OR, CA, NV, AZ, NM, TX, OK, AR, MS, AL, GA, FL.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Snow

Sky Road Road trip Mode of transport Highway

Mountain pass Road Tree Mountain Geological phenomenon

Mountainous landforms Mountain Sky Road Natural landscape

We weren't in Jacksonville long before heading down to Bradenton, FL to say good bye to my parents. After a short stay we packed up and headed for Indiana! We went through FL, GA, AL, TN, KY, IN. We have been here for 5 months and in that time have added a few more bits to help her stand out.

DMB Ford and ST overlays
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering part Steering wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Bumper

Steering wheel green enamel.
Purple Violet Car Vehicle Automotive exterior

Shifter green enamel and green stitch
Gear shift Vehicle Car Family car Hatchback

Engine cover painted greeeeeeeeen.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Ford motor company

I can't imagine having picked a better car for what I needed. She is fun, good on gas, and I can't help but look back at her and smile everytime I have to leave her in the parking lot. She has a couple bruises from her travels. But other than oil changes, tire rotations, and the RMM TSB she hasn't given me a lick of trouble.

Who knows what the future will bring and what will happen in A Tale of ENVY Chapter 2. :)

#3 ·
One of the coolest wheel mods ever. Props. JP

Reactions: Fuxalt
#4 ·
Whats the JP for? :crazy:

#5 ·
Beautiful car, love the story.
I also did not test drive mine before I brought it home. I've never driven manual so when I finally got the car home (with help of my Fiance), we stopped into a high school parking lot and I learned.

Edit: Can I proofread much? Geezzzzzz, its definitely monday.

#6 ·
Beautiful car, love the story.
I also did not test drive mine before I brought it home. I've never driven manual so when I finally got the car home (with help of my Fiance), we stopped into a high school parking lot and I learned.

Edit: Can I proofread much? Geezzzzzz, its definitely monday.
Hahaha yeah, but I find the ST is a pretty forgiving car to learn on. My one stall when driving her home was going over a speed bump while getting on NAS Jax. Other than that it went smooth other than being terrified while learning in Jacksonville traffic. I am scared to go over and proof read all I wrote. It is monday and I am looped up on meds :p

#11 ·
Very nice story Fuxalt, and surprisingly not one mention of beer. Envy certainly has gotten around in its first year. I thought I would wait for the warranty to be up also......but....I apparently am very impulsive. This wasn't my first manual car, but when I did get my first manual car I also drove in home from the dealership with never having driven manual before, except that drive was from Philadelphia to Upstate New York. I was so nervous to get stuck on a hill at a red light.

#13 ·
Hahaha I like to keep beer and Envy separate. Although there have been many visits to breweries and beer stores.

#14 ·
Hahaha so did you stall?

#18 ·
Chapter 2:Smiles and tears.

Envy has had a hard winter. She is bruised and battered, but not broken. We can rebuild her, faster, stronger. We have the technology!

Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Alloy wheel Wheel
Automotive tire Tire Disc brake Vehicle brake Wheel
Automotive tire Tire Rim Vehicle Wheel
Green Yellow Design Metal Table
Green Wheel Vehicle door Tire Rim
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Hatchback
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Ford Hatchback
Windshield Glass Vehicle Car Windscreen wiper
Land vehicle Vehicle Off-roading Regularity rally Car

#19 · (Edited)
Then disaster hit. Or should i say a shopping cart hit busting out my tails and scratching the rear bumper. So I went with some new tails and swapped the green flaps for some black. Around this time she gets a green filter and APV3. Panda was the tune of choice. Later that month she would be featured in their calendar!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback Hot hatch

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Hatchback

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback Hot hatch

Calendar Subcompact car Vehicle Car Office supplies

Boosted Designs knob and dead pedal
Vehicle Car Gear shift Mid-size car Hatchback

Games Recreation Electronic device Indoor games and sports

Reactions: pslst
#30 ·
Then disaster hit. Or should i say a shopping cart hit busting out my tails and scratching the rear bumper. So I went with some new tails and swapped the green flaps for some black. Around this time she gets a green filter and APV3. Panda was the tune of choice. Later that month she would be featured in their calendar!

Boosted Designs knob and dead pedal
View attachment 89499
Tell me you filled the "ST" in the dead pedal with green

#20 ·
Went to go see the "Red Devil" himself at RDC where I got some green fogs and new lugs. Not long after that the snow hit and had some fun.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Black

Headlamp Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Vehicle Car Snow Hatchback Automotive exterior

Then some jerk hole decided to run their cart down here side :(
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

Not a week later a pot hole took out to rims. I decided to go aftermarket. Proline 901 series et40 for $327 shipped!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Rim

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Headlamp

Less than 24 hours later a state trooper decided to back into her on the highway.
Alloy wheel Vehicle Tire Car Automotive tire

Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle

#21 ·
Shark fin and steelie mount
Automotive exterior Roof Green Vehicle Car

Vehicle Car Technology Steering wheel Electronics

#22 ·
Bought a CPE stage 2 RMM. The wish list is slowly being completed! :big smile:

#27 ·
#28 ·
Broke 38k and CPE stage 2 rmm came in!
Auto part Speedometer Vehicle Car Odometer

Purple Violet Electric blue

#29 ·
Added a little go fast humor.
Violet Luxury vehicle

#32 ·
Gotta say, pretty ENVIOUS of your build! Really sweet stuff. Hopefully I can see your car for myself one day! Which might be soon because I'll be around Indianapolis tomorrow and Saturday. Plus I hear there are some great breweries around the area! :wink:

Reactions: Fuxalt
#33 ·
She gets repaired on the 6th. They are keeping her for a minimum of 8 days so it will have to be after that :/

#36 ·
Well props to @matt@pandamotorworks for his crazy power and economy wizardry. This is shifting around 3-3.5k and doing some 3rd gear 2 lane road passing.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Gauge Tachometer

Also dropped her off at the body shop and they gave me this turd. Wow is it a turd!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Ford motor company Bumper

#38 ·
Shes home!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Automotive design

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Reactions: arkangel and pslst
#39 ·
Went for a drive and took the road less traveled. Had to snap a couple shots of course.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback Mid-size car

Reactions: Unfitproduct
#40 ·
Then seeing it was so nice out I decided to throw in my CP-E Stage 2 RMM.
Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Wheel Rim

Auto part Wheel Vehicle

Auto part Bumper Automotive exterior Engine Vehicle

#42 ·

#44 ·
I like it a lot. Wheel hop is gone. No more 1-2 BANG! The vibs are more serious though. Start up/Stop/ or taking off slowly the whole car vibrates. Nothing that is unlivable though, I just wouldnt want anything more serious than this.

#45 ·
:big smile:

#46 ·
Time for a wash

#47 · (Edited)
Reactions: crass
#49 ·
Haha yeah if I can find them. All I can ever find is the Black Ice one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.