2012 Focus NA to Semi-ST Conversion - Sally
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fenwayfaithful
  • 1 Post By JacksoNRolyaT
  • 1 Post By JacksoNRolyaT

Thread: 2012 Focus NA to Semi-ST Conversion - Sally

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2012 Focus NA to Semi-ST Conversion - Sally

Hey everyone. Not sure if I should talk about myself or the car first so I will start with myself and bridge into the important stuff we are all here for. Currently living in VA. My 2012 NA Focus is the first car I ever owned, modified, and raced (and about 50 other "life firsts"). By trade I am a Technician with a Associated Degree in Automotive Technology and Repair. I spent the last couple years being a Ford Master Technician at a dealership which seemed like the obvious choice since I already had and loved my focus. Recently I have left the dealership life and have gone to a local performance shop where I have gotten the speed and performance bug worse than ever before.

Okay, enough about that more about the car. She is a 2012 Focus Titanium 2.0 NA Hatchback that started out life as an Automatic in March of 2012 when I got her. The current mods are Steeda CAI, FSWerks Stealth Exhaust, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, BCRacing Coilovers, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires and TSW Nurburing Wheels (I am sure I am forgetting a few things). Car currently has 95k (Exactly) on it and me and this car have been through hell together. Even in its "slow" NA state it has been my rock for the 7 years I have owned it and I wouldn't and couldn't give it up. It's paid off and has been for a while. Since 2013 when the ST came out I have always wanted to swap the ST powertrain into the car. Well, being at a performance shop has given me the itch BAD to follow through with this dream I had for the car. Just so happens that I also managed to secure an engine with 65k for $250. Yes, $250 WITH TURBO. And so a project begins.

The plan for this stage of the build is a budget friendly Focus ST swap with a big turbo, build engine, full suspension, Focus RS AWD swap in mind. That is, of course, a ways down the road.

I want to use this build thread to share what I am doing with the swap and get opinions on the parts I am choosing for the swap and just have a record of it all. Here are some pictures of the car as it currently sits, the engine I got and some of the OEM Parts I have received so far. Also, a link to a spreadsheet I am creating which will include all the aftermarket and OEM Parts I am getting/will need for the swap. I would love some input on some of the aftermarket parts I have selected. Good or bad.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That starter motor is screaming “kill me”
    Duece McCracken likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

Super Moderator Duece McCracken's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is boosting again, but that 5spd
    life, ugh.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fenwayfaithful View Post
    Huh? Why is that?
    Owner and lead tech of Duece's Wrenchworx. The one stop shade tree ST shop.

Build thread - https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-duecette.html

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fenwayfaithful View Post
    Oh my god. I didn’t notice that - that’s hilarious!

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a little update. Ordered a few of my first aftermarket parts. Radium PCV Breather Plate and Dual Catch Cans with drain Petcocks. Figured Iíd get this stuff first since I have to install the PCV plate behind the manifold which will be off when I do my front cover reseal.

All of my OEM parts have come in for the front cover reseal so that will happen in a weekend or two.

I have a lead on a trans thatís sort of local that Iím planning to follow up with this weekend. We will see how that goes.

beretta96 likes this.

Super Moderator Duece McCracken's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is boosting again, but that 5spd
    life, ugh.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JacksoNRolyaT View Post
    Oh my god. I didnít notice that - thatís hilarious!
    I see it now, lmao!

Quote Originally Posted by JacksoNRolyaT View Post
    Just a little update. Ordered a few of my first aftermarket parts. Radium PCV Breather Plate and Dual Catch Cans with drain Petcocks. Figured Iíd get this stuff first since I have to install the PCV plate behind the manifold which will be off when I do my front cover reseal.

All of my OEM parts have come in for the front cover reseal so that will happen in a weekend or two.

I have a lead on a trans thatís sort of local that Iím planning to follow up with this weekend. We will see how that goes.

Hey man, what are you doing for an external BOV since you are going with a Garrett turbo?

Are you going to put a LSD in that trans? Upgrade the synchros while its apart?

Also, getting your hands on the levels fmic may be a bit challenging. Fair warning.

Finally, if you sign up for Mountune emails, every once in awile they offer discounts and such. I was one of the fortunate ones that got the entire Rad setup, hoses,z clamps, the whole deal for like 377 bucks shipped due to stacking deals. I doubt that deal is ever going to happen again, but you shouldnt have to pay full price for the rad at least if you take your time and hawk the deals.

Owner and lead tech of Duece's Wrenchworx. The one stop shade tree ST shop.

Build thread - https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-duecette.html

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece McCracken View Post
    Hey man, what are you doing for an external BOV since you are going with a Garrett turbo?

Are you going to put a LSD in that trans? Upgrade the synchros while its apart?

Also, getting your hands on the levels fmic may be a bit challenging. Fair warning.

Finally, if you sign up for Mountune emails, every once in awile they offer discounts and such. I was one of the fortunate ones that got the entire Rad setup, hoses,z clamps, the whole deal for like 377 bucks shipped due to stacking deals. I doubt that deal is ever going to happen again, but you shouldnt have to pay full price for the rad at least if you take your time and hawk the deals.

Hey man. So I must have been unclear in my initial explanation but Iím actually, for this ďStageĒ of the build, going to remain on the stock turbo. Basically I want to get used to the upgraded power level and feel out of its enough for the spirited driving I plan to do or if Iíll eventually want more. The turbo I got with my engine is perfect so for now she stays.

As far as the trans goes - I plan to do an LSD, Syncros, and some other stuff eventually but not right now. Thatís a pretty big expense and what I deem as not a necessary upgrade right now. Besides Iíve removed enough of those MMT6 transmissions if it breaks or gets upgraded I could have it out in couple hours.

Yes, anything on my spreadsheet that doesnít have a box blacked out under the research column is still up for debate. I had done some research on intercoolers at this point but havenít included it in the spreadsheet. Havenít decided if Iím going to go with the Depo Racing 5.5 or the cpE Core. Not sure yet. Not sure about intercooler piping either.

Thanks for the heads up about the discount. Thankfully, working at a speed shop leads to some nice discounts on certain parts. Hence why I went with some more expensive stuff like the cpE products.
    Duece McCracken likes this.

Sponsored Links