Project: STella
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Project: STella

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Project: STella

Hey guys! Welcome to the official build thread for Project: STella! Accept no knockoffs or imitations!

I picked up my Focus ST on November 24th, 2018. At the time I hadn't even driven one yet. I had just sold my beloved 2015 Mustang GT, Project White Label, and I had the crazy idea to get into a smaller platform. It was between the ST and a WRX. At times I wonder what would be different if I had joined Team Subie but this little ST is just so much fun to drive and I have to admit I am a bit of a Ford fanboy after owning two Mustangs

Window sticker

Every car needs a name and I had already appropriately dubbed mine STella. Cliche, sure. But it's just what stuck in my head. Here's the stats on STella:
    2018 Ford Focus ST (Oxford White)
    2.0L Ecoboost Engine
    6 Speed Manual Transmission
    Black/Smoke Partial Leather Recaro Seats
    ST2
    Equipment Group 401A
    Sync 3
    Bi-Xenon HID Headlights
    Power Moonroof
    Voice Activated Navigation

First photo of STella. Cuz gas station pics are still a must

I can't keep any car stock. I'm an enthusiast. At the time I picked her up STella already had a Mountune catback, Mountune sport springs, and symposer delete on the way. Let the fun begin!!

Super Moderator Duece McCracken's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is boosting again, but that 5spd
    life, ugh.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by king.bryn View Post
    Hey guys! Welcome to the official build thread for Project: STella! Accept no knockoffs or imitations!

I picked up my Focus ST on November 24th, 2018. At the time I hadn't even driven one yet. I had just sold my beloved 2015 Mustang GT, Project White Label, and I had the crazy idea to get into a smaller platform. It was between the ST and a WRX. At times I wonder what would be different if I had joined Team Subie but this little ST is just so much fun to drive and I have to admit I am a bit of a Ford fanboy after owning two Mustangs

Window sticker

Every car needs a name and I had already appropriately dubbed mine STella. Cliche, sure. But it's just what stuck in my head. Here's the stats on STella:
    2018 Ford Focus ST (Oxford White)
    2.0L Ecoboost Engine
    6 Speed Manual Transmission
    Black/Smoke Partial Leather Recaro Seats
    ST2
    Equipment Group 401A
    Sync 3
    Bi-Xenon HID Headlights
    Power Moonroof
    Voice Activated Navigation

First photo of STella. Cuz gas station pics are still a must

I can't keep any car stock. I'm an enthusiast. At the time I picked her up STella already had a Mountune catback, Mountune sport springs, and symposer delete on the way. Let the fun begin!!
    Another STella build, oh noes!!!
    Owner and lead tech of Duece's Wrenchworx. The one stop shade tree ST shop.

Build thread - https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-duecette.html

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece McCracken View Post
    Another STella build, oh noes!!!
    OH YEAHHHHHHHHHH! (Voice of Kool-Aid Guy)
    Duece McCracken likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why any manufacturer would slap a sound tube on a car is beyond me. If you've gotta put a cheap piece of plastic into the intake manifold and bring that noise into the cabin guess what? YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!! Enter Mountune's sound symposer delete. Nice billet piece. Super easy install. Much cleaner engine bay appearance.

100% factory engine bay. Pretty piss poor for a Ford Performance vehicle if you ask me. Downright ugly imo. But I have a vision...

Engine cover removed revealing the intake mani. Symposer delete visible on the front underside

Much better. Still needs quite a bit of work though

Next was the springs. The ST already handles fairly well with its wheelbase and front wheel drive but of course needs to be improved. I opted for Mountune springs because I wanted a minimal drop in ride height without sacrificing ride comfort. My first Mustang was lowered on progressive springs. I loved the ride quality. It was perfect for daily driving as the spring rate would increase during spirited driving for performance but remain lesser under normal driving for comfort. My next Mustang was bagged on AirLift suspension. Loved the aggressiveness and performance of that system. Slamming the car is the highlight of air but to be honest people don't realize just how good air performs and how convenient it is being able to raise the car for working on it and different driving scenarios. I had coilovers on my old Civic. Thing handled great and had a super aggressive stance, pretty much as low as I could go without damaging tires or fenders. Coils or air might be in store for this car at a later time but for now she just gets springs.

I've never actually installed springs myself before. Always had someone else do that work. This time around I wasn't gonna do that and I'm glad I did it. The hardest part of the install for me was getting the front strut/spring assembly out of the perch. I found that I just wasn't strong enough to wrestle it out by hand so I pushed down on the wheel stud with my foot to get it out while pulling up on the strut. This was still hard for me until I realized the trick. Push the wheel hub down and back toward the rear of the car and the strut actually wants to come loose. To give you an example of time spent here let's just say that the first passenger side took me several hours from start to finish. The next drivers side took me about 15 minutes from jacking the car up, removing the wheel, and getting the strut out.

I rented a spring compressor from my local Vato Zone...sorry...Auto Zone for the install. Never used one before but I was surprised how easy it was.

Factory front spring vs. Mountune sport spring

Factory rear spring vs. Mountune sport spring

Reinstalling the strut/spring assembly was a lot easier than removing it. Pretty soon I had the car back on the ground and the hideous rake of a car on rear factory suspension but lowered in the front hahahaha it's really too bad I didn't take any pics because it looked hilarious that way. The rear was stupid easy. Raised the rear up, supported the knuckle with a jack, removed one bolt, and lowered the knuckle until the spring fell out. When installing the lowering spring you just have to be sure to properly seat it and use a pry bar to get the holes of the control arm lined back up to reinstall the bolt.

With the car now lowered a test drive was in order. I was happy to report that handling was greatly improved and ride quality not only did not suffer but was actually better! Score one for the good guys! Rule of thumb: whenever you remove bolts in the subframe or suspension control arms it is probably a good idea to get the car aligned after your work. So I scheduled a session to get STella sorted out and running straight. Cause nobody wants a pigeon toed bowl legged woman that runs into walls.

Oh yeah did I mention I had lined up a tint day with my homie Juan at Tints R Us?? I wanted it dark so I opted for 5% all around. Well it's dark. Cuts a lot of sun out during the day and renders you probably legally blind at night hahahaha I'm super happy with it though! You be the judge...

Mountune sport springs and tint vs. stock
    Last edited by king.bryn; 03-09-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    mmst3 likes this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes it's the little things that make the most difference. In this case it didn't make the most difference but rather just a functional one. I ordered some all weather floor mats from Ford and they showed up at my local dealer for pickup a couple days later. They help keep my carpets clean and also prevent those awful bald spots where your foot always rests.

While I was FOCUSing on the interior(see what I did there?) I also ordered a few other things to make this little project my own. After having an Ashiko shift knob in my previous Mustang I knew STella would be getting the Raceseng treatment. This time around I opted for the big bore Slammer. It weighs in at a whopping 1.4 lbs and is shaped perfectly for several different hand positions. Raceseng sends an adapter with their shift knobs allowing you to adjust the height and perfectly line up your shift knob should you opt for custom engraving. I went with the minimal "R" in honor of my previous build.

Name:  raceseng.png
Views: 203
Size:  7.6 KB

OEM vs. Raceseng

The added weight of the Raceseng shift knob gives you more precise shifts and a better overall feel of the shifter. It was still pretty sloppy but I had plans for that later on down the road!

I also picked up a dead pedal from eBay. Couple reasons. I wanted to protect the carpet but also it just looks damn good sitting next to the pedals. It's a simple stick on velcro piece but compliments the pedals with matching raw aluminum finish and a nifty "ST" logo.

I do love me some Ford blue but it wasn't working for me aesthetically. I considered gel badging but as I was combing the desert...I mean the intraweb looking for the right piece of the puzzle I stumbled across these badge overlays and was sold almost immediately. Black. White. Red. Distressed firefighter American flag. My best friend and brother are both firefighters and I put myself through the fire academy several years ago in hopes to become one as well. That didn't work out but the overlays pay tribute to my family and friends in the fire service and my respect for what those men and women do. But also it fits my theme The set was cheap and came with a front, rear and steering wheel overlay sticker.

Stay tuned guys. It gets better, I promise! I was still in go mode on ordering parts and had already made a few choice purchases to take this tiny Ford from little miss piggy to full blown fart box!
    Last edited by king.bryn; 02-26-2019 at 02:56 AM.

is boy calls it "daddies
    vroom vroom"

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this makes 100 ST owners that call their car STella

Clean build btw

FST Noob! jgrigsby1027@gmail.com's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ! I have a 2018 ST as well in Metallic Magnetic (not sure if I got the color right it’s grey) lol I dived pretty hard into modding right away as well. Bigger turbo, FMIC, port injection etc etc. I haven’t really dived into aesthetics mods yet because I wanna get all the power to the ground first.
    king.bryn likes this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbaldwin86 View Post
    this makes 100 ST owners that call their car STella

Clean build btw
    HAHAHAHAHA glad I could be that hundredth. I know it's cliche but that's just what stuck. For some reason Barbara or Rachel just didn't have the same effect. Thanks man. There's more to come and already done to the car. Just need to document it

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]mail.com View Post
    Nice ! I have a 2018 ST as well in Metallic Magnetic (not sure if I got the color right it’s grey) lol I dived pretty hard into modding right away as well. Bigger turbo, FMIC, port injection etc etc. I haven’t really dived into aesthetics mods yet because I wanna get all the power to the ground first.
    Nice man! Magnetic was actually my second pick if I didn't go with Oxford White. It's a beautiful color. The flake in the paint is awesome especially in the sunlight! I do have more done to the car already but it's mostly aesthetic upgrades. You'll see it as I continue to document it here. I wanted to dive right in with some aesthetics first because even with a big turbo and bolt ons this car will never be fast to me. Quick for sure but my previous Mustang kinda ruined that hahaha so what turbo did you go with? What fuel? I'm assuming a corn mix, or maybe meth injection?? I've toyed with the idea of going either big turbo or hybrid but definitely wanna do some other modifications first. I have a plan laid out

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Name:  moved-576bf9628138d602d5adcb5c1ca709fd.jpeg
Views: 173
Size:  136.8 KB

This is one of the reasons I thought the ST was so cool. It is sold as a Ford Performance vehicle, not just a Ford, and as we further modify and drive our cars we see why. Happy Saturday guys! I'll be updating more very soon and showing what else I have done to my car so far

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links