NZ Quick Daily driver Build- 2018 Stealth Grey ST
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By rtn89
  • 1 Post By GotAFoSTnSpeed6
  • 1 Post By v3nom3nom
  • 2 Post By rtn89

Thread: NZ Quick Daily driver Build- 2018 Stealth Grey ST

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NZ Quick Daily driver Build- 2018 Stealth Grey ST

Hey everyone

Thought I would start a thread to document my progress/journey on modifying my new Focus ST. It will probably be a slow journey as i try to pay for things outright instead of sticking it on my credit card and dont get paid that much haha, but after each part I install i will give it a thorough review and document my thoughts to you guys on said part and how it has affected the car.

In no way i am suggesting i am an expert on anything, just going to be some honest thoughts from a keen driver and car enthusiast from the other side of the world
    My goal is not a lofty one, just for something that puts a smile on my face every time i step on the loud pedal and holds it own on a twisty road, so power wise would be around 300 -320 hp at the crank (250-280ish whp)

So first up is a bit of background on my car ownership. I have had x2 Honda Accord Euro R's with the 2.2 litre H22A motor, one got written off, and the second one was lowered on coilovers, rear camber arms and new wheels. These two were my first forray into 'performance' cars and they were awesome, great handling, light and super reliable! Next up was a 2008 Gen 1 Mazdaspeed 3, my first Turbo car, bloody loved the thing, what a beast even in stock trim. I owned this car for 3 years and in that time added the Cobb AP, corksport REM, Corksport full intake with cold Air box, GFB adjustable BOV, second cat delete and a custom tune from FreekTune. No idea power wise what it was running, but it was quick and surprised ALOT of people.

Next up was a bit of a change and where my current love for Fast Ford hatches started. Bought myself a 2014 Fiesta ST in Molten Orange. What a hoot this thing was. Ive never been in a car that has felt so alive in the corners, was so much fun. Literally could just haul arse into a corner and it would just grip with no fuss, my mate in a Golf R couldn't believe it and was working up a sweat keeping up with me on the backroads Kept it standard apart from a Superchips Bluefin Flash Tune which livened up the mid range and allowed it to pull to redline without falling on its face.

Now I have the Focus, my first brand new ride and right from the get go it reminds me of my Mazdaspeed but obviously a more modern version. Probably why i love it so much! For a standard car i think it goes really well, but just needs that little bit more to set my pants on fire haha. Handling wise it definitely stacks up against the Fiesta i think, but i can notice the extra weight, and just requires a bit more concentration and effort to get it into the corner.

So yeah this car is my pride and joy, and i drive it every single day and can see myself owning for a long time to come.

Right onto Mods!!

First up, i have on order:
    Mountune Front Mount Intercooler -- could source this locally and being mountune its going to fit well etc etc
    GFB DVX BOV -- love me some sound, and at least with this one the sound is adjustable to keep the Mrs happy when shes in the car.

TBC:
    Custom Tune- either a local Dyno tune or a flash tune
    Full turboback exhaust
    Springs
    Pads, line and fluid (brakes got super hot and spongy after a decent backround blast the other day so this may become a priority)
    Probably more things

As always, input and constructive criticism is not just welcome it is encouraged and im looking forward to sharing the things i learn about the car as i go along

Cheers Guys

Ryan
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Samh and JETST98 like this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much happening at the moment, although my Front Mount will be int he country next week, so booked in with local tuner for fitment and Dyno tune. Decided to go for a local dyno tune as they have had previous experience with these motors and are currently working on x2 Mk2 RS's which is cool. Hopefully will be getting this done in the next 2 weeks!

In the meantime went for a awesome cruise/spirited drive out with some mates the other weekend. The FoST stood up well, especially in the corners, trying extra extra hard to hang with the two Porsches haha. Some pics below
    Attached Images Attached Images          

I spend too much of my life on FST! GotAFoSTnSpeed6's Avatar
    is Someone is pissing in the
    drinking water

What what in the butt, what what in the butt...oh I mean 717 yoo..York PA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill enjoy this thread, as I am a new owner to a 2018 FoST...well not brand new I have owned it now since March. I have about 12k on it now, bought with like 63 miles. Its a metallic blue, ST2, I have a Levels FMIC with the HKS flange and bov welded to the endtank. So those are basically the only 2 mods besides a drop in filter. OooOoO and a Velossa Tech big mouth ram air thats it right now. I too had a Mazda, a 2007 Mazda Speed 6 or I believe over there you call them MPSs'. I love that car, I haven't parted with it, but is in the fros' of getting the trans rebuilt because the 6th gear went out. I have quite a bit of work done to it well into 350 at the crank, I am a big corksport freak, intake, injector seals, EBCS, map sensor, fuel pump internals, shift bushings, turbo, downpipe all by corksport. Tuned by Will at PD tuning, and was running at about 22.5 to 23 psi backing down to about 19 around 6700rpms. ALso have the Streetunit Juggernaut and Dreadnaught rear diff mounts, and a TR8 core with CX racing piping. Anyways Ive also been into cars since my license was printed. A 1991 talon tsi was my first build I went crazy on, 306 to the wheels 282 tq which was decent for a motor that was 123k miles old and made 185 to 190 from factory. That was loaded with goodies, then I had a 94 Prelude SI also with the H22a1 vtec with Neptune tune on it and AEM cold air intake and a DC Sports full exhaust with 421 header. it made 227 to the wheels. Had a full carbon fiber front end, bumper, hood, fenders and front lip, and trunk. I had a pair of 17 inch SSR rims on it from like 1998 which were actually really expensive new, I didn't purchase them. Anyways, so had some daily drivers in between there as family cars, but those were my pride and joys.

Back to the Focus ST, because the Speed6 is going to out of comission for awhile I just uninstalled my accessport yesterday and sent it to Cobb to have it reassigned a 2018 Focus ST part number so Ill have an accessport for 150 instead of 250 or 500 or anything else, 150 is about as cheap as you can get for a v3 accessport. Now I haven't quite came into agreement with myself on who I am going to use for tuning, I have thought about justin at Freektune, or Ryan at PD tuning, Ive heard things about JST and Panda. Theres so many its ridiculous. Luckily I do have access to Sunoco 100 octane down the street, I just wish I had e85 or something E related close by. But besides that, lemme ask do you notice cold start misfires in your 18 ST? I had Ford do the TSB cause I started expriencing them at around 6k miles and from what I have read even with the TSB they still are never completely gone and its just something ya deal with. I will be following your thread as you go along, and prolly updating you on my progress also since we have the same year. I am stuck in lingo between the GGR intake or the Steeda intake, I like both of them really. Oh I forgot I also installed the Boomba racing shifter bushings and bracket bushings along with the Ford racing short shifter I installed at only like 2k miles, I hated how long it was. So thats about it for me at the moment.

Oh I run Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30 which I believe is almost if not one of the best oils around, alil different than the Unicorn blood I ran in the Speed, for some reason Shell T6 is big in that circle. Im surprised it hasnt done much in the FoST circle, I know one reason they like it in the Mazdas is because of the low fuel shear and ash and general slop that some other oils create. Oh thats one thing I didn't say and I saw you didn't have on your list, I am ordering the dual kit within the next month with the plate, I am going to be running the Radium Engineering PCV plate with their updated valve and their Dual Catch Can kit, wanna try to reduce valve build up as much as possible. Well good luck with your build and I hope to hear and read more to come..Good one man!
    rtn89 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers man! Sounds like you will be moving a lot quicker with your FoST than me haha, interested to hear about your progress! Yeah we call them MPS's here haha, awesome cars arent they, i dont think i would off sold it if i could of afforded to do a turbo swap at the time as the stock one was starting to give up the ghost and the timing chain was getting noisy!

In regards to the misfire, havent experienced that yet, only have done 3000kms so far (1800 miles), be interesting to see if i get that issue. Also i have revamped my build list (didnt take long) after the cooler and tune, basically going to start getting everything ready for a 'Big' turbo, sold on the EFR series, so either a 6258 or 6758. 350hp at the wheels is the aim and i will be super happy with that. So LSD, new clutch etc will be getting installed also.

Anyway will hope to have some more progress this week to report on. Thanks for the kind words mate and lo9oking forward to seeing how you get on also

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So finally an update! Been waiting for nearly 2 months for this to arrive due to miscommunication and shipping delays, but finally arrived! New Mountune frount mount intercooler. Looks so nice! Definetly pleased with the way it looks. Cant wait to install it and get the tune done at the same time in the next few weeks

Name:  IMG_20180927_193842.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  410.1 KB

is Future Murse

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ very nice! love that gray!
    rtn89 likes this.
    2018 Oxford White Focus ST/ST3

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys

FMIC still sitting in my garage, went away with the Mrs and that has literally drained my money away, so will be abit longer than planned to get the thing in and tuned. In the meantime I have had a bit of fight with Ford over a flatspot in my tyre from new which was causing some vibrations, anyway it has been finally resolved after complaining to the manager about their customer service. Set of 4 new tyres are now on!

So not much happening with my car apart from that but got to drive some cool cars recently! Had a good 2 hour backroad blast in the new Civic Type R! What a machine, such an awesome car in factory spec, i fell in love with the way it drives and definetly want one as my next car.

Also had a Ford Mustang Ecoboost for the day too, cool car to look at and a great highway cruiser, however the 4cyl just felt a bit wrong in a "Stang" and bloody hell it felt like a massive car. Also felt a bit gutless.... soon as I jumped back into the ST it felt so much more urgent and responsive.

Anyway some pics attached below and also some pics of the Ferrari 488 GTB i was a passenger in around a racetrack. NEXT LEVEL!!

Name:  received_2038521879576009.jpeg
Views: 241
Size:  423.1 KB
    Name:  FB_IMG_1540198213991 (1).jpg
Views: 251
Size:  39.3 KB
    Name:  received_181881906057397.jpeg
Views: 254
Size:  422.3 KB
    Name:  received_254519268579330.jpeg
Views: 251
Size:  350.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_20181023_154408.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  252.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_20181023_161633.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  263.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_20181023_154437.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  275.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_20181027_125024_319.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  337.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_20181015_124751.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  433.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20181015_124756.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  54.4 KB

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally booked in for front mount install along with BPV and High Flow filter and custom dyno tune next Thursday! So excited. Already looking at my next stage of mods which will be aesthetic orientated. So lowering springs, mud flaps, new wheels and a front lip kit for the new year

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So i had the parts fitted and the tune done last week and wow its made such a big difference. I know its nothing new for you guys here but its just given the car that extra shove it needed from factory. The front mount really helps things keep cool, i now can do multiple pulls on the motorway without feeling that the power is dropping off like the stock unit, plus it looks bloody cool.

The bov is loud as hell but im getting used to it, not sure about my Mrs though.... hahah. The high flow filter also lets me hear that turbo a bit more which is always nice. Overall im really pleased with the massive increase in low to midrange power and the way it holds on a lot better at top. I love this car and cant wait to get the next stage rolling.

Some form of suspension is next with the rear motor mount with a full turboback exhaust and retune. Then the diff and then the turbo upgrade

Name:  IMG_20181219_180507.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  494.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_20181219_180447.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  537.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20181219_180556.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  472.7 KB
    mmst3 and LSPI like this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Car's looking good & great list of mods. Where about in NZ are you?

Sponsored Links