RS brakes install tips, review, and comparison. - Page 22
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: RS brakes install tips, review, and comparison.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally received all my parts to do this upgrade, I've been watching prices and ordering stuff piece by piece as I can afford it for the last few months. It's going to be hard but I think I'm going to wait until after winter to do the upgrade since I don't have a garage and I don't really want to swap brakes outside in super cold temperatures. Only have ~15k on my stock FoST stuff so they have tons of life left but I have noticed a bit of reduced performance recently(although that could be tire related as well, they are getting fairly worn).

Just wanted to give a slightly more recent pricing update/easy parts list for anyone that hasn't been following this thread for a long time like some of us and still looking to do this upgrade. In my case, I decided to do a complete upgrade(including frakenbrake rear) with all the stock RS parts to keep everything simple and easy. I figure I can decide down the line if I need stainless lines/upgraded rotors/upgraded pads/etc after this set wears out.

Few caveats: I overpaid on shipping a bit because I broke mine down into a few different orders over the course of a few months in order to use up some of my credit card promotions/cash back/gift cards from holidays/etc, you can probably save a bit of money on shipping by ordering it all at once. As with a lot of OEM car parts, the prices on the individual parts seem to fluctuate quite a bit, could be as much as $10-15 variance from one day to the next(or one website to another) on various parts like the calipers. Rockauto seems to have the cheapest prices and shipping consistently on many of these parts vs any other site that I could find. And they always have 5% coupon codes to drop it a bit more. Other websites often have them too, wait for sales/coupons around holidays if you aren't in a rush. The Mazda brackets can definitely be found cheaper/possibly free as well if you can find them used/junkyard/facebook group/etc type situation but I didn't feel like bothering going that route and just grabbed a pair of new ones. I know there was mention earlier in the thread from some people saying that they were able to get their core costs refunded with the ST calipers, so that could be another $100 back right there as well. All in all you can probably easily shave another ~$150-300 or so off this price if you really try.

My price total was $840 and it broke down as follows roughly(there's no sense in giving exact pricing as it fluctuates quite a bit as I mentioned):
    HTML Code:
    $170 Tasca Parts  - Mazda Rear Caliper Bracket         - C2Y6-26-28XA       x(2) 
    $670 Rock Auto    - Front Unpainted RS Calipers        - BRCF-356 = Left    x(1) 
                                                           - BRCF-354 = Right   x(1)
                      - Front RS Stock Rotors              - BRRF-284           x(2)
                      - Front RS Stock Pads                - BRF-1524           x(1)
                      - Front RS Stock Lines               - BRHF-154           x(2)
                      - Brake Pad Retaining Clips          - BKCF-26            x(2)
                      - Rear RS Stock Rotors               - BRRF-283           x(2)
                      - Rear RS Stock Pads                 - BRF-1525           x(1)
    _________
    $840ish Shipped                                                  Total Items: 14
    Can't wait to see how the performance is and if it lives up to the hype.
    psilynt and 20focusSTdriver17 like this.

I spend too much of my life on FST! Slo86GT's Avatar
    is a meat popsicle.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This "kit" is great. With the OE RS pads, what I've noticed is a much smoother engagement. No more jerky first few stops like the OE ST pads had, and WOA MOMMA, it'll pull your eyes out in emergency stop after emergency stop, zero fade.

20focusSTdriver17 likes this.
    2014 Oxford White Focus ST - Daily Driver
    2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 - Wife's Daily
    1986 Porsche Black Mustang GT - Project
    - Jody -

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you add SS lines too?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo86GT View Post
    This "kit" is great. With the OE RS pads, what I've noticed is a much smoother engagement. No more jerky first few stops like the OE ST pads had, and WOA MOMMA, it'll pull your eyes out in emergency stop after emergency stop, zero fade.
    Looks great. I think bare aluminum is the best option if you don't want scratches or discoloration. Can always powdercoat later. I did frankenbrake as well so I opted for the dirt cheap RS oem rotors all the way around, TCE ss lines, and Mountune street pads. I really like the fact that the mountune pads dust so little. My stock wheels are still silver 2 months after cleaning,, where the oem pads would have colored them black by now.

Like you said, no more jerky stops if you don't get the modulation quite right. Much more linear pedal travel now. Should be easier to heel and toe.Name:  IMG_4115.JPG
Views: 249
Size:  1.65 MB
    20focusSTdriver17 and Slo86GT like this.

I spend too much of my life on FST! rambleon84's Avatar
    is so mote be it

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GooseEye View Post
    d Mountune street pads. I really like the fact that the mountune pads dust so little. My stock wheels are still silver 2 months after cleaning,, where the oem pads would have colored them black by now.
    I went with the yellow mountune pads all around as well. Huge difference on the dust vs my stock '13 pads!

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the mountune yellow w3 at the track, when the stock oem's wear out may give the yellow street pads a try although i do like the bite of the oem motorcrafts on the ST
    20focusdriver16 on FF

17' Magnetic ST1, Premium Wheel Pkg, Green filter, FRPP CAI Snorkel, Mountune Induction Hose, Symposer Delete, BPV & RMM, Mountune T&F FMIC Full Upgrade, Mountune/CSF Radiator & Hoses, Mountune High-Flow CBE

Ready to install: FRPP M-9603A-FSTA Calibration/Plugs, RS OEM Full Intake, 63mm TB, RS OEM Shifter, Mountune Quick-Shift Arm, Mountune SS Brake Lines, Mountune DP

RIP 6/29/17 - My 16' SE Sport
    - https://youtu.be/BPuhbAqLFRA

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a couple good threads on www.focusrs.org that go over the best pads.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will this conversion work with the premium wheels and the 5mm spacer or just the snowflakes and the 5mm spacer?
    Stock 2018 Magnetic Focus ST3 (for now), tinted windows, RokBlokz mud flaps, Steeda Clutch spring, Fumoto oil drain valve, Green Filter, Accelerator Pedal Spacer, Torque Solution Short Shifter Arm, Torque Solution Shifter Cable Bracket Bushings, AWE Cat back resonated touring exhaust with Diamond Black tips

Premium Member
    is training to beat Goku, or at
    least Krillin.

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderMan24 View Post
    Will this conversion work with the premium wheels and the 5mm spacer or just the snowflakes and the 5mm spacer?
    Premium won't work.

Sent from another garage.

I spend too much of my life on FST! mazui's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an FYI for anyone looking to purchase Stoptech rotors for the Brembos. The correct part number is 126.61124, NOT 126.61100. Stoptech (and some vendors) incorrectly list the 126.61100 as compatible when it is in fact a 10.8" rotor for the base Focus.

I'm amazed that nobody has posted this considering how long this swap has been available. I found out the hard way when my new RS rears dwarfed my "RS" fronts.
    20focusSTdriver17 likes this.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22

Sponsored Links