New brake pads bedding process
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mitch808

Thread: New brake pads bedding process

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New brake pads bedding process

Initial brake pads bedding process can you do it on a sloped road, it's maybe like 25 to 35 degrees, so 5 runs going up slope another 5 down slope. (just pads Hawk HP+ HB712N.680 , no new rotors)

How do you know if it's bedded in properly or not? Actually my right front rotor there is a slight dip/line, small rock might have got stuck on the outside of the pad and caused a circular line, I can see and feel the line with my finger. Can feel the line a little bit I don't think it's very deep. When I took out the old pads they looked ok, even wear and everything. So should be ok or do I need to get the rotor resurfaced before putting in the new z26, actually I already installed them but I don't drive the car that often, only weekends and no HPDE until half year later.
    Last edited by okaythen; 05-02-2019 at 09:21 PM.

I spend too much of my life on FST! mitch808's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can drive normally for about 500 miles. Which based on your driving habits, could take a while.

Other wise, about 8-10 stops, from 60-10mph. Hard stops. pedal to the floor. Don't come to a complete stop. Just slam the brakes to get to around 10mph. Then accelerate again to 60, and slam on brakes. They'll smoke. They'll burn, they'll smell bad. Do not allow more than a minute before each stop procedure. So try to find a deserted area to do this.

Once done, drive the car normally, for at least 10+ min, to cool the brakes. Do not come to a stop during this time. So jump on a highway or something.
    okaythen likes this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drive normally for 500 miles and that will break in the pads? Either that or do the 8 to 10 stops to break it in right away is that it.

Ok the rotor line actually it's raised up, rotor area where it contacts pad area the surface raised up some, and 2,3 lines I can feel it. The other side of rotor is fine and smooth. I guess the side of pad got stuck and heated up rotor so it's puff up? It's kind of minor not very bad so....go on with the pad break in or resurface the rotor?

Steering wheel kept pulling to the right, I wonder if that's it. Now that I cleaned up the brake dust and used grease on the pads, hopefully it fixed that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

I spend too much of my life on FST! mitch808's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A line or scored disk is nothing to worry about. It happens as you've described, some stuck debris or similar. What is important, is run-out. This is where pulsations or wobble come from. It has to be measured with some proper equipment. Otherwise, if you feel nothing in the peddle, don't worry about it.

If anything, the break-in procedure will mellow out this scoring some.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice thanks man, that's exactly what I wanted to know, yeah no wobble/pulsation from peddle.

The pad wear sensor, does it matter which side I put it in the caliper, or pointing up or down?
    Last edited by okaythen; 05-03-2019 at 02:50 AM.

Sponsored Links