Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Show off your autocrossing ST!

195K views 1K replies 206 participants last post by  gemery 
#1 ·
There's plenty of threads about autocrossing in this section, so I thought it might be nice to have one thread dedicated to showing off pictures and videos of ST's being autocrossed. If no one is a fan of this, feel free to ignore it. :wink:

(My best run of the day.)

(My fastest run of the day, but +1'd it.)

And yes, we have a weird autocross location here. It's a police driving academy. They basically make small road courses out of the course.

See less See more
2 3
#5 ·
This was at a hybrid road course/autocross. It's a 1.2 mile track with a large skidpad that we made into a technical section. We don't do any timing, nor wheel-to-wheel racing, but there's often 5-6 cars on the track at once. This event had lots of variety - 5.0 Mustang, race-prepped Porsche 944 with a 350, lots of WRX's, STI's, an Evo, a few older Subaru RS's, a turbo Avenger, a couple Eclipses, and one Focus ST. :D

#10 ·
How do you guys know where/direction your driving with the way the cones are setup, or in some cases just laying on the ground? I tried to follow along in the videos and I could see myself going the wrong way pretty easily, or not realizing which way to go until the last moment.

#36 ·
The ones just laying on the ground are pointing you the direction you are supposed to go/what side of the upright cone to be on. Like others have said, it really isn't as tricky as it looks.

#11 · (Edited)
It's a lot easier in person than it looks in the videos. Your peripheral vision does a lot for telling you which way to go. Plus, before lapping begins for the day, you should run a slow lap or two to learn the course. We usually do that parade-style. Usually.

We have pilot cars that will lead for a lap, showing how to get on the track, where to get off the track, and how to signal a pass. The events I attend are not SCCA, so they're not as formal as some events can be. If you under- or over-shoot a corner, it's not a big deal at our events, whereas at an SCCA event, you'd get extra time tacked on to your run if you go on the wrong side of a cone.

I haven't got an in-cabin video of the ST yet, but this is an in-cabin video of a couple laps in my SVT Contour at an event a few years ago. It's not a great lap, it was one of my first of the day. (Doesn't she sound purty?) At 0:59 I cut in one cone too early. It's easy for me to see since I was driving.

Reactions: MadKaw
#38 ·
Here's a few

Attachments