Ford Focus ST Forum banner

DIY Wide Body ST? B is for Build Style? Is it Possible? Am I Dreaming?

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Bryman13 
#1 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback Alloy wheel

I have dents like this ^ on both quarter panels of my car. Dont ask why. This damage is cosmetic and instead of spending the thousands to have it taken back to the stock look, I would rather have the car turned in to a wide body custom car. The agency flares look nice, but $1000 for 4 pieces of ABS plastic does not sound as nice. I have seen these

(Fender Flares Set Universal JDM Style 3 5 inch 9 cm ABS Fits BMW MB Audi | eBay)

flares on ebay and they seem to have just the right dimensions for what I need. I would need to for sure cut out some of the rear panel. Is anyone familiar with the technique of folding the inner and outter sheets of the panel? Mounting the flares is not what im worried about, it is mostly just cutting the metal of my precious car. Calling out to all wide body ST's out there for pro tips and tricks. I look forward to joining you soon.

See less See more
#3 ·
Before you could do the wide body fenders you would have to fix the fenders. They are designed to fit the contour of the car and obviously yours doesn't have a stock contour any more.

On a side note I do want to know what the hell happened to the fenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PA-ST3
#4 ·
I like your thinking but I think venomous is right when he said you'll need to fix the dents first anyway. It won't have to be perfect but if you find someone who does dent removal from dealerships you can get those popped for the most part and then you can bondo the rest. You're going to be using bondo anyway if you're going to do it right. So why do you have to cut the sheet metal on the car? Wouldn't it be easier to cut the flare itself?

#5 ·
I like your thinking but I think venomous is right when he said you'll need to fix the dents first anyway. It won't have to be perfect but if you find someone who does dent removal from dealerships you can get those mostly popped pretty cheap and then you can bondo the rest. You're going to be using bondo anyway if you're going to do it right. So why do you have to cut the sheet metal on the car? Wouldn't it be easier to cut the flare itself?

#6 ·
My car is a target for idiot drivers. I was in 1 officially reported accident and then 1 hit and run. So there is the backstory for the fender damage. I have to cut part of the metal becuase i am mounting the flares slightly higher than normal. Im aware that I will have to do the body work first. I do have a kit for it and have pushed one dent out far enough to stop rubbing. Im sure the flare and car will need a little bit of cutting to get right fitment then I'd use bondo for any imperfections. I then plan on dipping the car. Is there a thread for that?

#8 ·
I think with $135 flares it's going to look half-assed. That is merely my opinion and I'd love to see you make something awesome out of something cheap. But you get what you pay for and great looking flare cost $1000 so I'm just doing the math on what I would expect these to look like. I think if you cut your car for these cheap flares then you're going to ruin your car. If you bought good flares and modified the car for them then you're going to at least be doing a permanent mod that would be aesthetically correct for the car.

#9 ·
Just looked at the link, didn't realize those are textured. I wonder how that is going to look. Are you going to try and paint them? They definitely won't blend with the body because of that texture. All depends what you're going for but I'm not exactly instilled with confidence after seeing a crappy pic of a 3 series with these on it, looking like they were thrown on as an afterthought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.