Review of Damond Motorsports Oil Catch Can!! - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Review of Damond Motorsports Oil Catch Can!!

is Use you're imagination for
    crying out loud!

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Doubt it.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu675 View Post
    Has anyone actually looked at their intakes after install and see if these are actually stopping anything? I have seen ports and still show plenty of build up with OCCs. I have the can, just have not installed it as I dont think they are actually protecting against anything useful.

Also most of the build up from what I have seen if actually due to how these engines work, as they open the intake port to help get the exhaust gases out on the exhaust stroke. I am going on 25k miles and have zero performance issues, even right now with it being close to zero degrees out. No starting issues or anything and the car is not driven that hard during the week of back and forth to work, etc.
    I think my JBR OCC is doing what it should. I installed it at about 10K and am now approaching 20K. Pulled the intake away from head last week to check build-up. Ports, valves did not look black or oily, but some build-up on valves that was more grey & sooty looking. So I tried the CRC product for valve cleanup but haven't looked back in there yet to see how effective it was. I'm sure I'm not the first to notice this, but significantly more fluid to drain from OCC in cold weather, and of course, more watery as well

is sprinkle some crack on him and
    let's go.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unfitproduct View Post
    Doubt it.
    Why do you doubt it? You do know that is a common thing right and would bet you it is your turbo leaking oil into your piping.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

crying out loud!

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That was not the case tho.

I spend too much of my life on FST! rainier446's Avatar
    is looking for a 17"
    spare...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mavil6 View Post
    I think my JBR OCC is doing what it should. I installed it at about 10K and am now approaching 20K. Pulled the intake away from head last week to check build-up. Ports, valves did not look black or oily, but some build-up on valves that was more grey & sooty looking. So I tried the CRC product for valve cleanup but haven't looked back in there yet to see how effective it was. I'm sure I'm not the first to notice this, but significantly more fluid to drain from OCC in cold weather, and of course, more watery as well
    I've checked after installing a Moroso OCC on the IM side, no more buildup or oil getting into my intake tract from that side at least. Having an OCC definitely causes a lot of the buildup that you catch because that's the idea behind it, to have a low pressure area where condensation/particles can fall so you can catch what IS in the flow from the PCV to the manifold. So while we are all catching coke cans worth of fluids every 2-5k miles, I'd bargain to say that at least 50% of it is caused by the OCC...but I'm very glad to be catching the 50% I wasn't getting before.

I had an issue a few months ago where I had a light load miss, that wasn't caused by the electrical issues. After some very intense inspection and diagnostics, it was found that the buildup on the intake valves was causing the issue so I went in with some BG direct injection cleaner and literally scrubbed all of the intake valves...a very thorough process that takes ~3 hours to complete. Needless to say I installed the OCC and have been repeatedly checking my valves during oil changes. Everything is sweet and sound, thanks to the addition of a can and some hoses...
    DoubleD likes this.
    2013 TB ST3

Installed:
    Stuff

I spend too much of my life on FST! rainier446's Avatar
    is looking for a 17"
    spare...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @DoubleD @Unfitproduct How did you mount this on the top? Do you have detailed instructions?

I'm currently running the Moroso but it's mounted back by the turbo inlet and is a PITA to drain every 2k miles, so I'm looking at getting this one and utilizing the quick drain on it.
    2013 TB ST3

Installed:
    Stuff

crying out loud!

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hope this helps just a little bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images              

crying out loud!

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @DoubleD has instructions on how he did his, and it looks far better than mine

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rainier446 View Post
    @DoubleD @Unfitproduct How did you mount this on the top? Do you have detailed instructions?

I'm currently running the Moroso but it's mounted back by the turbo inlet and is a PITA to drain every 2k miles, so I'm looking at getting this one and utilizing the quick drain on it.

Here is a pdf for building the bracket. Also reference the Steeda IM & TB spacers instructions. I added some info to those but did not upload as they are Copyrighted: Steeda Autosports. All good info on easily removing the manifold. Hopefully between this and @Unfitproduct info it should get you there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Unfitproduct likes this.
    2013 ST3 White: totally stock except for that wall of replaced OE parts sitting in my garage.

I spend too much of my life on FST! amayhem's Avatar
    is "Beating" MazdaSlow3

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like this is the way to go.. been reading or a while now.. and I'm sold on all the positive experience and how it's helpful towards the car.. my only remaining question is.

I do not change my own oil .. I have the know how and have done it on past vehicles but the opportunity cost of time and savings just isn't enough for me to do it. Anyway =)

How hard is it to empty out the can since it sits so low .. if I'm not the one changing the oil..would I need to jack it up to empty it? Or is it simple enough thst I can ask the person changing it to take care of the OCC at the same time?
    pslst likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links